Question about runoff

I am using 7 gallon fabric pots and living soil i water 3l every two days or so and get 750ml in runoff is that to much/little runoff for living soil no nutes just cal mag and water

1 Like

So the timeframe looks good, but my main concern with living soil is with that much run off, you’re washing away alot of the good stuff in the runoff. Ideally you want some runoff, but in living soil, less is better IMO. I do however grow in coco nowdays, been a while since I was in soil. Seems almost like your doing a flush everytime you water lol. You can cause the plant to stall out in growth as well. Just food for thought.

2 Likes

Got it gonna drop to 2.5 l and see

1 Like

sounds good, use @and my name to tag me and I’ll be happy to help.

question about that runoff. Is it running out of the whole pot or just the side, bottom or? I try to not to have run off really in my fabric pots, some yes but I find if Im having a controlled bottom run off than I’ve overwatered. But I’m not adding perlite so possibly thats allowing you to pass more water?

Mostly bottom runoff and perlite was pre mixed in my soil

1 Like

runoff is the amount that comes out the bottom, if it’s coming out the top or sides…slow down your pouring. Let it absorb into the soil or coco.

Depends on the age and size of the plant. Seedlings, no, you don’t want to drown them. Older plants in a 3-5 gal pot, runoff actually removes salt buildup in the roots, this is a good thing. Shoot for about 10-15% runoff in older plants. Stuck to a controlled measurement on seedlings to avoid overwatering. Or better yet…coco. No chance of overwatering.

1 Like

I’m in living soil, no nutes or fertilizer, just add water. There is no need to water to runoff in living soil. In fact, I do the opposite- 1/4 to 1/3 of the water I give, is added from the bottom (“butt chugged”).

I’m looking for “moist paper towel” moisture, throughout the pot. Dripping is too wet. This requires a different touch, you need to water in slowly.

Mature plants require more nutrients. That’s actually the wrong time to be leaching out “the good stuff”.

Runoff is important with the nutrients because you get a buildup (the hard water stains you see on the sides of fabric pots in these types of grows) in the soil when the water dries up, due to the high concentration of minerals.

2 Likes

I agree with this.

Yes, I agree about the side & bottom. Sorry, It was more of a question for OP as it seemed like they had a lot coming out of the bottom. Even with slow watering, a side pour out can happen in fabric pots from time to time.

You did answer my question about why people prefer to run off, to address the salts. Ive moved away from them, I don’t run off and thats probably why i did poorly with salt based feed. I’m now salt free! Thanks!

2 Likes