Question about Root Zone Temp

My little GG4 is a one week old seedling. The temp inside my tent is a steady 75 degrees day and 67 at night. I checked the soil temp 3 hours after the light came on this morning and it’s 69 degrees. Should the soil temp be 75 degrees or just the inside temperature she’s in?

1 Like

Wouldn’t worry about soil temp. As long as the room temp and humidity is good you should be fine! Good luck and happy growing!

2 Likes

That’s way more effort than I ever put in.
Soil temp will pretty much follow tent temps but it takes a while to rise and fall after air temp changes.
Also evaporation of water will always lower the temp of the soil. so its usually a little cooler.
Personally I don’t worry about soil temperatures.

2 Likes

I’ve never paid attention to it. If ambient conditions are good then leave it alone. Artificially raising the soil temp can invite problems with bad bacteria or mold.

4 Likes

Thanks much! Happy growing everyone.

The only time I worried about soil temps was last fall/winter. I grow in my garage, and the concrete floor sucks all the warmth out of the soil. It seemed to take forever for my plants to finish (flipped to 12/12 on Oct 1 and harvested Dec 25).

I have since put 2" of styrofoam under my tent. Not only is it warmer for the soil, it’s easier on my old knees! Now as long as my tent is warm (68F lights off, 79F lights on), I don’t worry when we get these cold spells. Up in Canada, so it does get cold here in the winter!

1 Like