Question about outdoor grow for 2023

I asking for tips because this will be first outdoor try!
I purchased 30 gal fabric pots the brown ones because i saw in a thread brown didnt asborb as much light as a black fabric would heat up as well.
I plan on using jacks 321 in a soil blend of compost and perlite. Any tips would be awesome! I plan on moving seedling around april 14th where i am at that is our last frost date! Will be growing pure indica and big bubba kush! Thank you and look forward to hearing any inputs!

2 Likes

Good luck!! Outdoor is super fun but does have a different set of challenges!!

4 Likes

Please any tips is appreciated! @Fieldofdreams

1 Like

If you are in Zone 7, I would push out the plant date a couple of weeks. Maybe weed is different but with Veggies/tomatoes they do better at the end of April. Good growing.

2 Likes

@antonioperez96

I am in 10a and 9b I usually set mine out end of April/early May.
I start them indoors under a LED light two weeks before. As soon as I see a taproot come out the bottom of the rapid rooter plug-they go outside under a plastic dome with holes drilled in them for the first week or two.

Good luck! :+1:

SL out

1 Like

@Bobcaat im in zone 8a

Run your lights an hr and a half after dark till the longer days catch the led light. Especially with Indica Strains. Then I can turn the lights off and set them outside without them immediately going to flower. Good luck

3 Likes

This is really good advice for plants started indoor and moved outside. I see so many people move them out too early.

3 Likes

Yeah, it’s one this old boy learned the hard way. Sativa’s I didn’t bother as it didn’t seem to affect them.

3 Likes

Damn you get to set your out early. I have to wait tell the first part of June. Due to cold weather and day length.

Make sure you focus on the hardening phase. This is the transition from indoor to outdoor.

3 Likes

@HippieRunner1 i havent set them out yet i dont plan on putting them until april. I just didnt know what to look forward too. I know it a different class from indoor and that pretty much all i know to grow is from indoor.

This is a break down of the hardening phase. Might help out alittle :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you so much @HippieRunner1 that will help me out so much!! I will definitely be using a shade tarp just like that! Also have you know anybody to use 100% coco outdoors i use coco indoors because i tend to over water every now and again. I was wondering if using coco would be more hopefully to me i already plan on using jacks anyway?

1 Like

Do you want to use 100% coco outdoors due to the fact of the possibility overwatering?

1 Like

Yes i over love my plamts with water @HippieRunner1 know anybody or have you ran coco outdoors

1 Like

That’s not a bad thing man. If the mix you are using can take it. And you have found coco works great for you :slight_smile: Ain’t nothing wrong with that at all.

Personally I don’t know anyone who runs straight coco outdoors. When aiming for 100% organic you need something more in the mix to allow all the micro organisms to be able to thrive.

If you run 50% coco and a nice organic mix (including perlite) you could water her everyday tell runoff and be fine.

1 Like

Hey there! I also have my last outdoor grow documented. Unfortunately it’s nothing exciting. You can check it out here. I am only doing an outdoor grow again this year because of our electricity costs… not that I can’t afford i but I don’t want to feed the monster that we call PG&E LOL. I pulled 11 pounds of buds (dried and cured) plus about 6 pounds of trim and stuff for my edibles.

1 Like

I think that difference is negligible. The most important thing is not putting the pots directly on cement. I had my cloth pots on a wooden ‘shelf’ that had slats in it for runoff… Those fabric pots were also in the ‘shade’ of other plants that were in 45 gallon pots that were sitting directly on top of my raised garden bed. Other plants were put directly into the soil. Honestly, the ones in fabric didn’t fare as well as I had hoped. I think they dried out much quicker than the others.

1 Like

@Caligurl thank you for tagging ill definitely begin reading up on it! And that is just what one of buddies who grows outside suggested it made since because i work construction and the difference between white and black are masssive because of the black asborbing the light. But that still great info never thought the concrete would affect em ither! Thank you! And i remeber your name. You helped me with my spider mite problem in identifying eggs!! I lost that battle sadly!

Outta likes… sorry you lost them ites battle.

1 Like