Question about LED lighting

From a fellow grower: I’m currently in the first week of seedling stage. I’m using a full spectrum LED with two 2ft lighting tubes hanging over my two plants. I also have aluminum foil draped over the whole set up. I plan on scrogging eventually. Do you think that one LED will be okay throughout the entire growth cycle? Or will I need to get additional lights of the same kind to hang along either side for the flowering stage?

1 Like

Is that one fixture? Or do you have an LED fixture (and what brand and model) and a 2 foot fluorescent bulb fixture?

Not knowing what light/s you have if you want to grow through harvest with 2 plants I would recommend a HLG 260 XL light with r-Spec.
There are other options that will cover two plants as well but other details would be needed for considering say CMH fixtures etc based on environmental factors in your grow area.

Your current light/s may work but without knowing what they are can’t say.

Can you fill out a support ticket?

COPY/PASTE the below list into your forum post.

Answer these simple questions the best you can.

If you do not know, or do not use something; Just say so; Or post

NA (non applicable)

• What strain, Seed bank, or bag seed

• Method: Soil w/salt, Organic soil, Hydroponics, Aquaponics, KNF

• Vessels: Pots, Grow beds, Buckets, Troths

• PH of Water, Solution, runoff (if Applicable)

• PPM/TDS or EC of nutrient solution if applicable

• Indoor or Outdoor

• Light system

• Temps; Day, Night

• Humidity; Day, Night

• Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size

• AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier,

• Co2; Yes, No

Always try to upload a clear picture of any issues you may have to allow the community to assist you.

Add anything else you feel would help us give you a most informed answer should be included. Feel free to elaborate, but short and to the point questions and facts will help us help you in a more efficient manner

2 Likes

Need to know exactly which light so we can get an idea of par levels.

2 Likes

Its probably a cheap light as this is the pattern.

2 Likes

What strain, Seed bank, or bag seed:

-My friend gave me a shit load of bag seeds (he always has quality bud)

• Method: Soil w/salt, Organic soil, Hydroponics, Aquaponics, KNF

- I’m using organic potting soil mixed with a seedling mix of coco coir, vermiculite, and I cant remember the third ingredient. I mixed them 50/50 in a large pot so that I wouldn’t have to transplant. 

• Vessels: Pots, Grow beds, Buckets, Troths

-Large (~1 1/4ft x 1 1/4ft) clay pots with a drainage hole

• PH of Water, Solution, runoff (if Applicable)

-I use bottled spring water (this is my first grow btw)

• PPM/TDS or EC of nutrient solution if applicable

-I don’t use any currently 

• Indoor or Outdoor

-Indoor

• Light system

- The light wasn’t all that cheap it was ~$50 It’s a full spectrum LED that claims to be specifically for cannabis/tomatoe plants through veg and flowering stages. It has two light tubes similar to fluorescent but they are LED. I’ll post a pic of it along with the lighting summary

*Let me know if those pics aren’t visible *

• Temps; Day, Night

- I don’t take temps I’m just a rookie trying things out but I’m in a small one bed apt that I keep around 73-74 which from what I understand is ideal

• Humidity; Day, Night

N/A

• Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size

N/A

• AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier,

N/A

• Co2; Yes, No

No
  • To be honest I have a ghetto ass setup because of the limited space I have along with limited funds during these ridiculous times. I’m moving to a larger apartment at the end of May and I plan to have a better grasp on things by then. Here is a pic of what I got going on:

Welcome to the forum.

Where to start…

I understand the first grow and how expensive things get.

First is lighting. Cannabis requires great light to flower effectively. Obviously sunlight is the best, but if you throw enough money into lighting you can get pretty close. To get decent buds your plant will require 50 actual watts (draw at the wall) per square foot of flowering if you use a light like that, hps, or an amazon blurple panel. If you go high end with a qb/strips or high efficacy cob lighting you might only need 30-35 watts at the wall. The light you’re using draws 19w.
As you can see, your seedling is stretching higher and higher, this is because it’s searching for more light. If it stretches too high it can fall over and die. Normally we lower our lights when this happens, but you’re pretty low already and any lower I’d worry about burning the seedling with heat.
You can gently build up soil around the elongated seedling to support it. Just leave the top 1” clear of soil.
The good news is that cannabis doesn’t require as much light to veg as it does to flower, so you could probably add a fixture with a “cool” cfl or two to get through that stage. If you look at light spectrums you’ll want bulbs that are 3500k-6000k.
But, when it’s time to flower you’re going to need much, much better lighting.

6 Likes

Next is airflow.

You’ll need good airflow. Draping aluminum foil around your plant isn’t optimal. It will create hotspots as well as lessen airflow. That’s why many growers use tents. They’re usually lined with reflective Mylar, (which is designed to reflect without hotspots). At some point you’ll need a small oscillating fan. This will put a gentle breeze across the plant which will not only strengthen the stem/branches, but give fresh air, reduce the amount of pests that settle on the plant, and keep temps/rh consistent.

You should also have a way to monitor soil pH. This is essential for cannabis cultivation. You can buy acceptable meters on amazon for less than $20. Try to find one that comes with calibration fluid/powder.

1 Like

Thank you!! Is that something I can get from Home Depot or Lowe’s or something without having to order online and wait for delivery? And about how much would that run me?

What are talking about? Light bulbs?

Sorry I think your messages were still uploading when I sent that. More info popped up afterwards. Anyhow, I’d like to try avoiding ordering and waiting for delivery for anything possible. But if that’s the cheapest/best way to acquire the right stuff I suppose I will. You’re awesome for answering all my questions! I truly appreciate it!

1 Like

That’s why we’re here. :+1:

It’s tough to grow indoors on a tight budget, but it can be done.

Most things necessary can be found online (I know I know), but if you have hydro shops/grow shops/gardening shops around you can probably source most of it locally.

2 Likes

I was just thinking if necessary I can get a buddy to invest for a portion of the first couple grows if things get too pricey

Let’s just focus on the now.

Continued cultivation will get pricey. I promise. It’s an addictive hobby.

2 Likes

Completely agreed! So the necessities now are the lights and the tent and a small fan? For the light I’d like to get something that can be used for all stages of growth in this small area. The best bet would be LED correct? Like the COB you mentioned. Having one slightly expensive full spectrum light rather than all the different bulbs and ballasts that will add up as well is the better move right?

1 Like

Welcome to the community.! Not much left to say. @Drinkslinger has got you covered. Would like to say the cheapest way To grow cannabis is outside. The sun is free.

2 Likes

You’re in good hands with drinkslinger. If I can help don’t be afraid to ask.

2 Likes

Lights and fan first.

A tent is not a requirement, but it will make things easier.
Right now your light should be on 24/7. In another week or so you’ll switch it to 18/6 (18 on 6 off). This gives the plant a chance to rest. Assuming this seed is a photo (light cues it to flower), you’ll switch the lights to 12/12 when you’re ready for it to flower. This is at least 6 weeks away. When the lights are off during the 12 hours there must be ABSOLUTELY no light around the plant. Not even a glowing led from a power strip. Tents make this easier, since you can zip them up and not worry about light leaks (in theory).

If you want to build a cardboard enclosure around the plant It’ll need to be at least 2’x2’x4’. Larger would be better. You’ll also need to paint the interior of the box flat white (no gloss). I’ve seen people grow in trash bins (google space bucket ), so anything is possible . This is the cheapest thing I can think of, but with some tents under $50 I’d recommend saving for the tent.

As for lights. One cannot cheap out here. Better light=better potential bud.
If you’re diy friendly this is a great light t that will easily flower 1 smaller sized plant. When I built one it was $100±

If not, this is essentially the same, but “easier” to assemble.

If you have lighting specific questions @dbrn32 is the man to go to.

There is a vast amount of info you’re going to need to process. It seems like a lot but ultimately cannabis is a weed. I grew outdoors for a long time with nothing but a green thumb. It wasn’t until I decided to up my game that I realized how much science was involved.

One more tip. Do NOT fall for marketing and buy a blurple panel from amazon. I know they sound good, but you can do better.

3 Likes

Yeah people fall for straight up lies on the wattage, mostly because of the marketing . Why is everyone looking at me… Right I was that guy.

1 Like

I’m looking for a new led light for my room. My room is 5x5 so I figure that a 4x4 coverage will do. I am looking at spending 2-500. Thanks

1 Like

@BEERTRAPPER if you put an @ in front of a username it gets their attention.
You want @dbrn32 for lighting knowledge.

1 Like