Question about hydroponics-refilling the bucket

From a fellow grower: Simple question here. I’m hydroponically growing with 5 gallon buckets.
With plant basket placed on top of bucket, the maximum water level equals 3 1/2 gallons.
Question: Should I always refill the bucket back to 3 1/2 gallons everyday. The roots are massive at this point and touching the bottom of the 5 gallon bucket. So wondering if it’s okay to let the water level drop down some. Or will this hurt the roots that are not submerged?

3 Likes

It would be best if you could keep the water level about 1.5 - 2” below the net pot. During flower it’s gonna be difficult when they are drinking 1+ gal a day.
Will it hurt them to drop down some? Probably not so much. Good luck! :v::+1:t2::sunglasses:

1 Like

I check my bucket everyotger say or every3 days. I usually have to add 2 to 2.t gallons of nute water back to her evsry 2 to 3 days. As long as they dont get total dryness for a long time they will do fine. Speaking of havnt checked mine in 4 days now. She might be kinda empty lol

1 Like

If you let it drop solution level, keep an eye on pH. When I’m in flower I add a gallon to my five gallon bucket about same time each day. It’s okay for the roots feel the air.

1 Like