Question about how far my light should be

Hi, I am on my 2nd grow, last time I grew 5 autos with a 1600 watt led (650-680 actual), this grow I have five regular plants and am about to switch over to flower (60days old yesterday) I just added a 400 watt HPS that my buddy gave me so just wondering how far away I should keep this HPS for flower? I put it like 10" from the canopy? Also some people told me my plants are going to double in size for flower. Should I expect them to double 8n size??

I actually have 6 plants, one in middle is a big bud auto from a seed I found from last grow, it’s also 60 days old yesterday, I wanted to mention it incase someone saw the buds lol

It depends on the strain but on average most hybrids can double and true indicas will gain about 50%

1 Like

I think your HPS is good as long as the plant doesn’t touch it and you can mitigate the heat.

1 Like

Do you think I hung it in a good spot? I was wondering if I should have turned it the other way? Its pretty much impossible to get it to cover the area evenly because the LED kinda needs to be in the middle, I probably should think about picking up another 400w hps for the opposite side so even it out

What size area are you growing in??

For six plants, I would probably pick up another one if your budget allows. I always have more than I need and then reduce if needed.

I made my shed into the grow room, the shed is 6’×12’ I am using half the shed and with a roll of that shiny stuff I made portable walls with plywood so I can move them around to where I need them, right now it’s like 4×4 but that’s a guess lol, I have never measure it lol, the space I have to work with right now is 5×6, but like i said I can make it whatever size want so as the plants grow I will move the walls out

I just screwed 2’×3’ pieces of wood onto five gallon buckets filled halfway with sand so when i need to move them to water or trim I just pick the bucket up and move the wall out of the way lol

That’s a cool idea but you may have light leaks when you switch to 12/12 for flowering. Just something to think about

1 Like

Your HPS is about 10" from the canopy? You may want to increase that distance to at least 18" or so. HID lighting can out out a lot of light and heat up close, which can cause some problems. So best to start further away and then move closer, than start out too close and have problems.

1 Like

No signs of burning but I am keeping a close I on it, picking up another 400w hps for the other side tomorrow :grin:, I just changed the time to 12 & 12 , the plants are loving the new HPS