Question about HF with Organic Nutes

So I am doing an experimental grow while I wait to start my full sized grow in a few days. That said I am using happy frog soil. Last grow I did jacks 321 but this time I want to experiment with top feeding and going organic to see the difference.

I am going to be using Gaia Green power bloom since it should be in flower before I need nutrients ( it’s sour d autoflower).

My question is when would you typically top feed? I know it takes a while for it to take effect so I would obviously have to top feed long before the PPMs get low enough where I would normally start feeding Jacks.
Since it’s organic and in theory the plant should only take what it needs could I do whenever? The only drawback I could see is potentially wasting some $ by using slightly too much nutrients but that doesn’t bother me.

Not sure if my thinking is correct or not so hook me up with some knowledge and I will be forever grateful.

1 Like

I use hf potting soil ff ocean’s mixed 50/50 with 20% extra perlite and top dress with Earth Dust base and bloom… so for I’ve had the easiest best grow yet… just my opinion but here are the results… she’s a super skunk auto in her 12th week growing in a 10g pot she measures 2×4ft wide and 4ft tall

3 Likes

That’s awesome, when did you top dress the first bunch of nutes?

I put the base in after she was a month or so old then waited for preflower to hit her up with bloom and repeated as needed with the bloom… she’s 88 days old 12.5 weeks or so in a 10g pot she fills the whole 2×4 tent up

2 Likes

With any type or organic amendments you want to add them 2 to 3 weeks before the plants switches to flower so it will be available once flower begins with autos that can be a little tought to gues when they will start flower so i would top dress 3 weeks after the seed sprouted sense most autos start flower between 3 and 5 weeks after sprouting

2 Likes

Thank you I appreciate it.

2 Likes

Nice!! I know if I went back to soil, and seeing what MeEasy does with Earth Dust, that is the route I would take.

3 Likes

ED is by far the easiest way of organic soil growing ive done to date ill probably never switch to anything else

4 Likes

I agree with you bro. It’s as easy as watering :muscle::100:

2 Likes

Was thinking about buying earth dust. So you just put earth dust base in once she was about a month old? You did not “cook” your soil? Just asking because I thought you had to cook the soil first. Would be great if I don’t have to!! Thanks :+1:

I didn’t know anything about ED until MeEasy told me about it si i was a month or so into my grow already is why… the red super skunk was transplanted in cooked ED for 20 days or so in the hf ff and that was awesome for it… she took to the transplant at day 14 like a champ and took off

1 Like

You don’t have to cook it but i wouldn’t recommend adding it to a young plant … let me tag @MeEasy … this is… The Man … when it comes to being an expert on the subject…

1 Like

Thanks! I’ve made up my mind. I’m definitely going to buy Earth Dust tomorrow. I already have Happy Frog that I plan on starting them in for about 3 weeks then transplant. The only reason I haven’t bought the ED yet was because I thought you had to cook for a few weeks and didn’t want to rush the process. Also is it true that with ED you DO NOT have to PH your water AT ALL? Like you can absolutely use your tap water and not worry what the PH level is. That is the best part, if it is true!!

Also I’ve seen @MeEasy journal where he uses ED, put he also cooks his for a few weeks.
Was never under the impression that you could still use ED without cooking it

It’s all about having the food the plant needs at a specific time when the plant needs it and ED takes care of all the plants needs base and bloom … top dress work into the 1st inch of soil and water that’s it…

2 Likes

Thanks! I will be spending tomorrow reading up on your journal along with me easy’s! Very excited to do my next run with ED! Already have seeds germinating along with a bag of Happy Frog. Will order ED tomorrow and read y’all’s journals to soak in all the info I can. Hopefully you won’t mind if I tag you if I run into any questions! Thanks again!

1 Like

Not at all that’s why I tagged you to my journal so you can learn and have good grows… if anything comes up just ask ok there’s no such thing as a stupid/dumb question… you’ll learn more from Easy than myself he’s the one who taught me all about organic growing…

1 Like

Thanks for the tag @anon1893985 :+1: hi Td it’s always better to cook the soil because living soil is considered slow release food and the time it is cooking it’s growing a food web of the smallest bacterias and fungi that attract and are eaten by larger microbes that are eaten and so on all this activity is what turns the organic material into food for your plants and why it’s so important that it never dries out because that kills the bacterias and fungi and it will need to reestablish itself to start feeding again. Same reason you want to neutralize the chlorine in your water, chlorine/chloramine won’t completely kill the soil microbes but it damages it enough to slow the food supply down. With living soil you are taking care of the soil not the plant and if the soil is kept healthy the plants will be happy.

3 Likes

What he said👆

2 Likes

Thanks guys for all the input it is much appreciated. One other question when it comes to organic feeding etc. I’m assuming we do not water to runoff therefore not checking ppms or pH?

2 Likes