Question about drying

Hey everyone,
I have harvested all my plants. My problem is I cant get them to drop below 70%. If I add a fan will that help? I was trying to get away from having to run a de humidifier because of the price.

1 Like

The ideal temp and humidity could be 67-70 degrees and 50-60%. Remember the drying and curing is really the most important part!:v:

3 Likes

U have to get a de humidifier. It will lower the humidity and probably raise the temp.
See if u can buy a used one or a cheap one…or use one for a week for drying and then return it lol. Amazon prime my g

60% humidity is preferred? i keep reading different numbers . i have about 45% with 70-74 f. does that seem like a good setup?

1 Like

Yeah actually if you can dry yer dope out to 62 percent and keep it there, thats the bomb :bomb:

7 Likes

excellent. thank you. i am at 50% now and hope it rises a bit in the basement as it usually does. thanks for the help

1 Like

50 percent is ok! If you cool that down to say 65 degrees, Id say that would be ideal! See heres the thing… ideally its best to not dry yer dope out faster than say 8 or 10 days. If you can keep it drying for 10 days or so that retains the most terpines. The smells and flavours etc. So you have 3 options, perfect temp and humidy, say 70 degrees at 62 RH or, higher temps with higher humidity to keep the weed moister… not ideal! Or lower humidy at lower temps… more ideal! The target is a 10 day dry, to not quite snappy! Okie dokie?

4 Likes

You should be fine with those numbers.
:+1::v:

got it. i think i harvest today or tomorrow so this advice is timely and useful. can’t wait to get set up and give it a try. i will put a fan on at the bottom of the space to circulate air and hope for the best.

1 Like

Yep just dont blown directly on the pot! Just move the air and remove and replace constantly. You notice that the ventilating fan setting is in the ON position. Im not triggering to a certain percentage. Just ON. You can raise or lower the humidity by watching the numbers if the RH is too high, speed up the fan, if its too low reduce the speed etc.

2 Likes

you are dialed in. i should be shortly as well. still cant decide when to harvest. i think they are ready but can’t tell exactly.

What do your trichomes look like under magnification?if all the calyx hairs are red or brown and few or none are being produced you should be close.

Bud hairs should at least look like this. not like this. Notice somenof the calyx hairs in the lower image are still opague and havent dried up? Let them all dry up.

1 Like

that’s the hard part. i cant really tell being a first time grower. i have looked a few times and the trichomes are just too hard for me to tell exactly. the calyx hairs are definitely red. the big cola at the top (not pictured) doesn’t seem as close as these but not far behind.

2 Likes

Very nice image! I would say they look a week or 2 from being ready? The trichomes look as though they are starting to cloud up. Mostly clear from what I can see? Again the magnification isnt that great but the image is clear. Giver another week at least, you dont have any amber, which may not be what you want anyway if you prefer less couch lock?

thanks, just some random bud samples using my phone. i have a loupe on the way. i want higher thc levels but not sleepy. is it possible that this strain won’t turn amber? i keep waiting for the amber and feel like i am missing something. i don’t know which strain it is but i reads that can be a characteristic sometimes. i am really digging this feedback, it is very helpful.

do you think the potency would suffer if i harvested earlier, like this weekend?

I cant say for sure, heres my understanding… peak thc production is said to be highest when all the trichomes are cloudy. The bud is not considered ripe until the trichomes are mostly cloudy with few if any clear left.
The vast majority of trichomes exist on the bracts that the calyx hairs protrude from. These bracts are ripe when the calyx hairs have all turned brown or red. Once the trichomes begin to shift to amber it is believed to turn the bud to couch lock pot! If all the trichomes are amber the bud is over ripe and the weed starts degrading and producing CBN which is not ideal. Some bud never gets amber, Ive seen this happen. The trichomes just getbold and brittle and fall off. Most pot is ripe when most if the trichomes are cloudy some are amber and a few are still clear.
I hope I havent confused you? :laughing:

2 Likes

I think you will still be very happy with your pot if you harvest this weekend, bybthe looks of that. Its a shame to harvest too early because you can lose 20 percent of bulk and some potency as well, but that looks pretty close. A week or 2 at most.

1 Like

this is using a loupe today

1 Like

2 Likes