Question about 600W hps light power draw

My electrician friend told me, that lights use 600 W of electricity only when they are first turned on, and heating up, once they are up and running, they are using less than 600w
Does anybory know if its true? And if yes, what are the approximate numbers.

They may be referring to “inrush current” but that’s usually more to do with motors and such. I can’t see it being too much of a difference on a ballast, cold vs. warmed up. Minimal, if anything.

1 Like

I think I read ballast uses about 80w so actual pull is 680

1 Like

Your electrician friend is full of it and I wonder how he got his license.

1 Like

Hi everyone. I’m just about to order equipment for my first grow. Can someone tell me is it OK if I use full spectrum 315 LED light for veg and bloom in a 2 by 2 grow tent. Two plants. Any help anyone can give would be great. Thank you

Welcome to the forum.

Brand and model?

A 2x2 tent will really only be good for 1 plant.

Thank you for replying. It’s actually a sp 250 MARS LED light I was looking at. I’m stuck for space so that’s why I had to go with a 2 by 2😣

1 Like

I have the sp-150 and its a fine light. The 250 is just bigger.
The 250 is rated for a 2x4 space
Not quite a HLG quality, but not bad at all.
Right now they are out of stock most places.

1 Like

For a 2x2 maybe this
https://www.amazon.com/Spider-Farmer-Dimmable-MeanWell-Spectrum/dp/B07TS82HWB

1 Like

SP-250 will not fit in a 2x2 tent btw

1 Like

It’s like what 50 lumens per foot I think so it won’t take much in such as small space.

1 Like

Thanks everyone. It’s a bit confusing starting off with all the different types of lights and different sizes. The LED 1000 looks good and it’s OK price, I’m just a bit nervous that its used and the shipping of it to me (in Ireland). I’ll be using a MARS grow tent, will different brand lights fit the fixtures of the MARS tent, sorry if that’s a stupid question, I just don’t want to spend the money, and make a mistake

The tent won’t make any difference when it comes to mounting the light.
Try a HLG135 V2 Rspec, it is what I am using in my 2x2.
My Grow 2x2

1 Like

For a 2’x2’ I would try to get an HLG 100 or 135 in 3k temperature (only other option is 4k which is acceptable).

The Mars TS1000 would be acceptable for a 2’x2’. It used to be a better value than the HLG options, but that has changed; however, what good is a good deal if it’s backordered for 2 months? The Mars lights seem readily available.

The difference is basically efficiency. The HLG lights will be less expensive to run. They’ll all grow good flowers.

1 Like

Thanks all for taking the time to reply. I have decided to go with the ballast lumatek hps 400, dimmable to 250 lights, I know they are not great for power efficiency as other lights but because of this stupid covid 19 I wanted something that I could order within my country to avoid any shipping delays. And really the only thing in my price range was the hps lights. (LED lights are either all sold out or way to expensive as a start up) the tent I got was a 4×2×6 tent so I’m hoping the lights will be OK? Extraction fans and carbon filter will be ordered in the next fews days.

That’s my plants today, sprouted 6 days ago. They are both the same strain, blue cheese auto, dinafem… One just looks so much bigger :see_no_evil:

Looks like the others have you covered. I’m just dropping by to say welcome to ILGM! :v:

1 Like

No I didn’t cover any of them. Did the exact same with both. In water for 12 hrs till they sunk. Then two days germination and in the pot. They are both getting new true leaves today so once it keeps growing I’m not worried.