Quantum boards for 8x4 tent

Wondering what quantum boards for a 8x4 tent…right now I am running 3 meizhi 900’s they do a pretty desent job but have been burning out the blue diodes the last run…meizhi did a good job in sending new diodes but am looking for new lights for the future…so wondering how many boards will I need for a 8x4 tent and what the cost would be…cost is a factor for me also…the new mars quantum look promising as they are in my price range but I am also open to dyi quantum also just can’t afford 500 on 1 light - thank for any info!

1 Like

If u wanna light up all 8x4 ur definitely gonna go over $500… @dbrn32 is the man but i can go grab quick numbers for ya.

Ok thats a much bigger space then i was thinking. @Killadruid think u can drop some knowledge?

3 Likes

If heat is not a big issue you might look into MH/HPS, LEC, or CMH lighting technologies. They are not as efficient as the QB’s now but for years the MH/HPS has been the standard to be judged against. It’s not as sexy as the new tech but it grows great cannabis. Also much less expensive.

6 Likes

Yeah that’s very true. I still use an hid bulb I love the growth.

2 Likes

It wouldnt be 500 on one light u could run 4 260w which will cost u 175 each for the boards and heat sinks then u can buy the drivers for them off digikey. And then u can just buy 4 extensions cords and the wire for the drivers to boads it will cost u about 1000$ to light that area effectively with qbs

2 Likes

And probably on the order of $750 with MH/HPS. So both out of your price range.

One thing to note is if you have lights with broad canopy coverage you don’t need the intensity until flower. If you had one light you could veg all of the plants that would be grown out in that space. Add light as needed until the space is populated with adequate lighting.

2 Likes

You could do a mix of qbs and hids that’s always a good grow put a 600w inthe middle and then put 2 260w qbs on the sides. I’m running a chps bulb more exspensive but one of the best red spectrums I’ve seen

Electric cost is an issue so no hid light…this is just a flower tent…I use a agribrite t5ho for veg…if I could light the whole tent for under 1k I might be open to that as long as I can get the wife on board…the 3 meizhi 900’s have done pretty good for the last 2 yrs but as I said they have been burning out some blue diodes last run…any help would be great!

Well my hids dont bring my electric up that much. My 260w which light up a 4x4 area use only 80 watts less then my hids so. Honestly it wouldn’t effect u to much. But that’s my 2 cents. U going to pay on one end or the other

2 Likes

If you are already planning on getting more lights in the future, but only want to spend 500 usd right now to replace the meihzis, i would take a good look to the Mars TSL2000…
300w from the wall, and each will cover 2x4 for flower…
250usd each…
Im not suggesting in any way that they will perform like or replace an HLG qb, but man, they are CLOSE, are very efficient with electricity and to me seems like a good option to try in a budget for that space…
Im starting to sound like a mars sales person, but im just obsessed with led lights since i started growing, and keep reading about how good they perform for such little relative money…
Of course i want an HLG of those Migro COBs, or something of the highest end, but being realistic, i have to keep an eye on the Chinese…
I have seen pretty nice flowers grown under those newer mars lights, like on their Facebook group, and they seem as good as any from pictures…

Yeah I want to stay with led as heat is also an issue…I did notice the mars tsw2000…I think 2 of them would do me but want to check dyi options…what is the life expectancy of quantum boards?

2 Likes

The above mentioned QB is cheaper and less expensive to operate and likely does a better job than the Mars.

1 Like

Not if you want a 3 warranty …
Im not saying a Mars light will perform as good as an HLG…
Im saying that it’s probably 90% of an HLG, at maybe 60% the price (against the diy hlg kits).
And that makes it a good buy imho

1 Like

Hey myfriends410, not sure how the build mentioned would cost less with the numbers stated. The statement that the light “likely” would outperform the Mars tells me you might not have any first hand knowledge of the light. Lot’s of negativity when Mars is mentioned though. Why is that???

1 Like

Because they bought into the same mindset of the other manufacturers of ‘blurple’ lights and basically lost all of their credibility. If they are completely upfront about their performance then they are worth a shot but I KNOW what I got with a d.i.y. build.

HLG makes good solid lights using nearly the latest technology with top bin LED’s. I just went to the Mars Hydro website and looked at the new board: no data. Sorry but that’s in line with the Amazon Blurples.

2 Likes

They do provide a PPFD map at different distances though, and those numbers have been verified a lot on YouTube videos, and not only by noobs who got the lights for free

1 Like

So, no first hand knowledge of the TS light mentioned???

1 Like

No, because I chose to build my own light for my setup using materials I had on hand for heatsink and structure a couple of years ago. The ‘State of the Art’ for that year was what I got. For my application there was nothing better at any price. As my electrical demand at peak flower is around 25 watts/square foot and delivering the results I’ve gotten (1.25 gr/watt), I have had no need to shop around. I do follow the light thread and stay current.

Let me be clear: they may be great lights. It’s time they improve their reputation of providing lower end lights with misleading advertising. I do hope they are as there ought to be a HUGE market rolling up on us in the next few years. So; buy some and try em! Report on em here and we will all appreciate it and benefit.

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s worth it to be arguing and getting defensive about grow lights…
For me, who live in a 3rd world country, 500 usd is just too much money, and if i can get 2 good lights instead of just 1 great one, for the same money and triple the warranty time, it’s going to be front and center in my radar

1 Like

I agree; I have no interest in high heat generating technologies as my climate doesn’t support that well. Everyone has a unique situation. And we need lots of competition in the lighting arena to aid us consumers.

1 Like