Quantum board driver relocation?

Quick question, can i move the drivers for my two hgl-600h outside my grow room? They would be about 8 and 10 feet away from the boards.

2 Likes

Yes. I am a fan of remoting drivers outside the tent.

2 Likes

Any wiring considerations to take? Wire gauge, solid/stranded?

2 Likes

On the output side of the driver (and throughout the light fixture) I use 18 gauge solid copper wire. I think my longest pair of wires from driver to COB-rail is around 8 feet long. I haven’t had any issues and no degradation in power consumption. Main thing is just to make sure the wire is rated to handle the current.

4 Likes

One for you @dbrn32

1 Like

I used an 18g extension cord between my Meanwell driver and the Quantum boards. I think thats the DC current side of the driver so any 110v quality extension cord should be fine. Solid copper is probably better but not as forgiving to run outside the tent - it’s very stiff. @dbrn32 please correct me if I’m mistaken.

:v:

1 Like

You’ll need bigger wire for at least part of the run. Hlg-600h-54, 2 channels wired in parallel right?

It’s almost 6 amps per channel, too big for 18awg most of us use on constant current drivers 2 amps and less. I would match whatever is on driver output, which is probably 14 or 16.

3 Likes

My hlg-600h-54b has dual dc outs. Load won’t change, but conductor wise, I’m running two off one line and two off the other. These won’t

be in my tent. Thinking about mounting them outside my sealed room. The mac mini server will go in my rack and the drivers will mount under the light controller.

2 Likes

I will match the dc output gauge. I just didn’t know how sensitive the drivers are to ohm load change. Thanks guys!

3 Likes

That’s good thinking! Fortunately enough with wire that size an additional 15-20’ shouldn’t drop enough voltage to make a difference.

3 Likes

i agree with dbrn, 16 awg solid copper wire.!
this is what HLG suggested when i e-mailed them.!!

i m not an electrician, but i think if u use stranded wire it needs to be 14 awg but u may loose a tiny amount of power…???

my remote drivers in the ‘mechanical room’…

fan, filter, timers, drivers and drying chamber in the top of the grow box…

2 Likes