QB Driver LED help!

I would visit gravitas page, I think they have a layout assistance tool for greenhouse applications. The reason those big de fixtures are so popular there is because they can be hung high and get a ton of coverage in supplemental application like that.

2 Likes

kinda figured u needed it for veg in the winter…
definitely look into the Gavita 1000w DE fixtures,
they r water proof, unlike the 120 boards that do not like dirt/dust OR water.!
also they r in a small fixture that will allow the winter sunlight onto the plants,
were the QB’s will block a considerable amount of sunlight.!

clones would be best kept indoors under ‘low’ light,
mommas in the greenhouse and clones in a controlled environment.!!
that’s where u will need the QB’s or T8 floro if using a shelving system.!

1 Like

Greengene had a video up where they were spraying illuminated cobs with direct stream of water. No lens or anything.

1 Like

For sure either way. I appreciate the feedback for sure. Didn’t know there would be this much activity on here! I’ll definitely be bouncing some ideas off of everyone in the future and I’ll share more about the systems.

Going with a 125’ Gothic Gutter greenhouse.
Full Blackout curtains for darkness.
Hydroponic setup.
Radiant Floor heat

Separate “head house” for processing, curing, storage, clone room & mothers area.

Exactly the feedback I was looking for. There is a big push on setting up cannabis facilities as green as possible. Utilizing sunlight, Efficient lighting, water collection system, No/low waste materials. I hear of indoor grows with 20,000$ monthly electric bills. I am self funded so every corner I can cut with savings. Money will be tight until the first big harvest.

1 Like

On some of the overcast snowy dahs we would be luck to see that much. Why lighting has to be a topic of consideration.

1 Like

not saying all water and dust is bad, just a concern when they r abundant.!

my QB’s experience lots of dust everyday.!!
but i would not run them in a greenhouse like they r, unprotected.!

i read that the wrong water droplet or spec of dirt can over-heat and burn out a diode, is this correct.?
if one burnt out, will the other diodes on the board continue to burn.?

1 Like

I’m kinda new to staff, but most of us are small home growers and don’t really have the resources or experience setting up grows that size. Perhaps @latewood would take a look at what you’re planning and be of a little more assistance.

1 Like

i disagree,
i think lighting should be the foremost thought, it is the fuel for the plants.!
having a greenhouse is one thing, having it situated properly is another.!!

Just tossing around ideas, most systems we build in closets and rooms are just replicated on a large scale. Automation is a big thing now as even watering on a large scale can be a challenge.

2 Likes

No that’s exactly how I feel. Even the direction of the greenhouse has to be precise especially if you live in an unforgiving climate up here. I’m going to be growing in one of the coldest spots in America. :flushed:

1 Like

An led can fail at any time for any number of reasons. Water could be one, dust on a diode may be stretch. But I suppose if it were to disrupt cooling enough it’s a possibility.

One led failure can lead to others failing. Quantum board would probably just drop the string that failed diode is in. A 288 board has 16 parallel strings of 18 leds in series. So losing 1 of the leds would probably drop one string of 18, and leave the other 15 strings to divide the current.

1 Like

I’ve spent most of my career doing industrial automation, I’m pretty familiar. But I kinda disagree that setting up a greenhouse that size and commerce grow in general are very similar. There are probably a lot of things we can help with, and would be happy to do so. But you should really get some feedback from people with experience setting up grows that size.

1 Like

@dbrn32,
thank you sir.!!
been meaning to email HLG with that question, but i m a lazy F.!
from what i m understanding, the over-all performance will decrease in efficiency and slightly decrease in light out-put…???

hate to be a pain in the ass, but my shrunken mind wants to know…
potentially, at what point would the driver start providing too much current to the remaining diodes.?
2 strings ‘burnt’ out.? 4 strings.?

1 Like

Awesome! Completely understand, far from asking for business advice. Just putting it out there that’s my goal in life. I’m just getting back into growing myself at home so lots to catch up on.

I’m still roughly two years from ever making it a reality. Just excited to actually be able to talk to people about it that sure my passion for growing :grin:. People really look at you sideways when you say you want to open a greenhouse.

I’m just a poor disabled vet trying to reach my dreams. Almost found myself addicted to opiates due to a terrible injury. Marijuana freed me, I am pain free for the first time in years.

3 Likes

Growing commercially in North America won’t last long. South America, Central America and Africa have already signed huge deals with Canadian companies. Just another thing outsourced so it can be cheaper…

1 Like

Depends on configuration, current, and temp. I feel like max current on lm561c was 200ma, could be wrong though. Let’s say just for sake of example it’s true… a qb 288 wired to a true 2100ma driver would be running led current of about 130ma or so. If my thumb eyeball math works, that’s like 4-5 strings missing before you hit max. And I wouldn’t exactly expect the board to just go up in smoke at that point either. But if they were lacking cooling, certainly could. There’s also some ambient temp and thermal path correction factors, but I’d have to really dig into data sheets for those.

As far as the light output, dropping leds would indeed lose flux. And the other parallel strings sharing more current would lower efficiency as well.

2 Likes

Actually won’t be true in the states, why it’s being left up to the states. Where I’m at they won’t allow anyone outside of the residents of the state permits and no product can be brought in. There will still be plenty of money to be made and thousands of jobs created from it.

Do they respond to emails? I haven’t gotten a response from them from a couple emails.

That’s because it’s not federal yet… Once it’s federally accepted like in Canada it will change

1 Like

That’s the way every market works, but also not taking chances and putting yourself out there also isn’t good either. Why I chose to stay out of retail, there will be one on every corner. Businesses who have a good product and build a brand will thrive.

There are very few times when we literally have the power to create the market we want. Sure there are risks and will have many challenges. But why let all the big companies profit? There’s going to be great changes coming. We will all continue to grow our own, but in reality not everyone wants to or can.

1 Like