Purple spreading from veins

Hi All,
My first post so i appologies in advance for any faux-par i commit straight out the door.

Ill start with this:

• Strain; Gorrila Glue Auto - FastBuds - Seed
  • Hydro - 20 Litre NFT
  • Reservoir PH: 5.7 average
  • Strength of nutrient mix: Not Measured (bad move i know, about 85% of recommended on bottle - Shogun Line)
  • Indoor
  • 600w HPS Full spectrum & 250w LED Full spectrum (both on at same time, i move the LED around)
  • Day Temp: 24C / Night 14 - 18C depending on weather
  • Average humidity is 62%
  • Air Extraction system (300m2/hr) with circulating fan
  • No AC/ Humidifier or Dehumidifier
  • No CO2
    *About 2-3 weeks left until harvest.

The problem iā€™m experiencing is as seen in the images below, most of the plant seems healthy(or healthy enoughā€¦ i nutrient burnt it and all sorts of mistakes you would expect from a first grow). Iā€™ve tried researching it but canā€™t quite identify the problem. Kind of looks like manganese deficiency but at the same time , not quite and i donā€™t have the experience to say with certainty. So iā€™m turning to you all, I hope you can help.

Thanks in advance for any help!

1 Like

Strongly suggest starting ALL nutes at 20% of mfgā€™s schedule. They have no idea what you are growing. You can always move up. But, following mfgā€™s schedule usually means you toast the plants.
That simple.
Use a commercial flush, then plain PHā€™d water for a week.

1 Like

Donā€™t measure the nutes and donā€™t watch the PHā€¦gets you a great big harvest of useless hay.
Your choiceā€¦Think itā€™s too much trouble. Donā€™t waste time n effort. Head down to the dispensary and buy smoke from people who grow for a living.

Thanks for the advice, ill give it a flush and see how it responds.
Appreciate you taking time to reply.

Well, iā€™ll be devastated if the one item i couldnt afford costs me my whole grow but sounds like my luck. If all this ends up as dead or ā€œuseless hayā€ as you put it, i might just be heart broken lol.
http://www.sabremir.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/6.png
http://www.sabremir.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/4.png
http://www.sabremir.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/5.png

@Raineā€¦lots of folks here will gladly offer advice.
Now is much better than 40 yrs agoā€¦it was read The One Grow Book and learn the hard way that following the mfgā€™s schedules will make your plants great big bunch of burned hay. Heck, if I had access to the information and helpful folks here ā€¦back then, I would not have felt so frustrated, unhappy, useless and incompetent. Lost count of grows I toasted accidentally. Because of the environment back then. Couldnā€™t talk about itā€¦ask questionsā€¦let anyone knowā€¦that would be a really good way to have the Gestapo Swat teams kicking in your door at 4 am and dragging you off to a cage with REALLY MEAN NASTY UNHAPPY PEOPLEā€¦no fun that. Think the rape scene in Deliveranceā€¦where the horny guy tells the helpless city boyā€¦ā€œYou have pretty lipsā€¦just like a girlā€ā€¦:scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::grimacing:

Haha, i didnā€™t expect this post to remind me of that scene in deliverance but theres no going back now :slight_smile: (fair point by the way)

Iā€™ve swapped out my reservoir for plain PH 6.3 water (ish, my PH pen literally just died on me but Iā€™ve got the liquid version thatā€™s not as accurate).

Thanks again for the suggestion, ill try keep this post updated over next few days and see how we get on.

Any suggestion on if i should be removing the troubled leaves?

1 Like

I personally wouldnā€™t stress over your situation but I would probably start drawing back on your nutrients a little.

If your in dwc then stick with weekly rez changes and I wouldnā€™t take your nutrients to zero ppm until the last 4-5 days before harvest but it wouldnt hurt anything to start cutting back some.

You could probably go ahead and remove the affected leaves, they arenā€™t really helping anything right now but donā€™t remove ones that still have some green in them

And I would get this lower

2 Likes

Iā€™m going to also add that you have WAY more than two weeks to go. As long as the plant is pushing white pistils itā€™s actively growing bud mass. When they have begun to turn brown is when you will start to watch for cloudy trichomes.

You can get away with not having a TDS meter in soil but thereā€™s no way you can do a good job in hydro. Itā€™s GOT to be monitored and adjusted. That and PH are your two most critical data sets.

If you havenā€™t yet; start a journal so you can monitor the progression of flower. If the seed bank quotes X days to harvest then you have another rough cut data point to work with.

Finally; when you get close to harvest you want to be on a water only diet to leach undesirable nutrient residue from the plant. It makes a huge difference in the quality of the smoke.

You are doing pretty well actually.

2 Likes

Yesā€¦pull dead leaves. That way you can tell if the problem is solved or continues.

Get a PH meter asap. Without it, you are flying blind.

1 Like

I didnā€™t see your post haha! Iā€™m high.

2 Likes

Thanks for the advice, iā€™ll leave it flushing for a couple of hours make sure there is nothing left over from previous reservoir contents and then add a little nutrient.

I tested the PH again and it appears to have dropped to between 5.5 and 6.0 (its a colour chart thing until i get another PH pen) so i wont adjust it for now and make my next feed around the same PH.

Ive removed the 2 worst leaves, the rest still have a fair bit of green in them so iā€™ll leave them for now and see how they progress.

Thanks again!

Glad to hear iā€™ve got more than 2 weeks left, i was worrying that this might hinder everything too much just before harvest. i will say that, about 10% of the ā€˜pistilsā€™ are brown so maybe not much longer.

Yeah, next paycheck iā€™ll get a TDS meter and replacement PH pen.

I had read that flushing for the last week or so is a must, appreciate you mentioning it though :slight_smile:

Really appreciate you saying i seem to be doing well, ultimately as a first grow i have nothing to gauge against so, thanks :slight_smile:

thanks for taking the time to replay, appreciate any help i can get :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Amazon sells many sets of PH and PPM metersā€¦for around $20 + shipping.
If you do a 30 day trial period of the Prime ā€¦free shipping and two day delivery.

Really would like to see your grow make it good. Growing is a blastā€¦if you are a proud daddy.

ANDā€¦DWC reservoir is best a 5.8 PH. That allows the BEST spectrum of nute access for plants. Let the Ladies grow until the buds are big and fluffy.

2 Likes

In fact; spend as much as you can handle on a PH meter. Donā€™t forget Standard Reference Solution. This is the meter many of us here use; Iā€™ve had mine for over a year and itā€™s still dead on. The TDS meter is a pretty important aid in maintaining the proper PPMā€™s in your reservoir.

Things can happen pretty quickly in hydro. @TDubWilly has his act together on hydro and is one Iā€™d go to for any advice or mentoring.

https://www.amazon.com/Apera-Instruments-AI209-Waterproof-Accuracy/dp/B078NPH1W3?tag=greenrel-20

Hereā€™s a loupe:

https://www.amazon.com/EnTeck-Illuminated-Magnifier-Microscope-Magnifying/dp/B01JOO2EGK?tag=greenrel-20

@Aquaponic_Dumme : sorry, hereā€™s another one.

@Myfriendis410 :slight_smile: no worries

4 Likes

Lol thank you very much @Myfriendis410

Ya I donā€™t mess around when it comes to pH meters. This is the one I use

PH400 Portable pH Meter Kit, 0.01 pH Accuracy, 0-14.00 pH Measuring Range, 3ft Probe, 3-Point Auto Calibration, pre-mixed buffers included

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N5G9TWU?tag=greenrel-20

I got lazy and didnā€™t check pH for two weeks, this is what happens when you get lazy like me.
Donā€™t be like me lol!!

2 Likes

Thatā€™s a little more than my PH20 lol.

2 Likes