Purple Kush - Yield?

I just harvested 3 Purple Kush plants - 2x34" and 1x28". They were harvested after about 85 days since fist showing, and were extremely healthy. The yield (after trimming and drying) was a total of 8.667 oz. I am disappointed - thought each plant would yield about 4-5oz. Does it sound as if I did something wrong, and is there anyway I can increase the yield on future grows?

didn’t happen without pictures.
Auto or photo? I assume auto if only 85 days.
I just harvested a purple kush that was 177 days.
Almost 9zzzzz from 3 plants is doing OK. Was one much lighter than the other two. That’s what happens to me. A good average if you throw out the runt.

4 Likes

What size pots were you growing in?

3 Likes

What brand/model of light are you using?

4 Likes

Exactly my question too.

2 Likes

3 Gallon

Entire grow period was outside on the coast of California.

1 Like

Thanks - yes, one was 28” when harvested, and the other two were 34”.

My question was ‘what lights are you using?’

2 Likes

Just using soil start to finish? You didnt supplement any flowering nutrients?

It was 100% outside grow – no lights.

Haha thought this was a soil. U mean the state.

What medium and brand did you use?

Also howd you feed the ladies?

Yes, soil (organic) throughout – used ILGM nutrient package – administered exactly as detailed on the ILGM website.

So outdoors in Cali.

Flowering 85 days in 3 gallon pots?

How long did you veg them for?

I moved last year from Lompoc to Colorado Springs so know the area disgustingly well (lived there for almost 57 years)

It’s a good climate but you will need to come up with a pest control program as white powdery mildew, spider mites, thrips, aphids, Louper moths etc all live there and love weed. I especially hate the loupers: white butterfly with a black dot on each wing. They love to lay eggs on plants and the caterpillars then burrow into flower; wrecking it and bringing in mold spores to boot.

1 Like

I used G+B Organics Potting Soil and Sungro Black Gold Organic Raised Bed and Potting Mix.

Yes, we are on the coast of California.

We fed the ladies with Bergman’s fertilizer pack – 4 different fertilizers.

Last year, I managed one plant that yielded 5 ounces – this year the three plants gave us only 8.667oz – I was disappointed, and while the “grow” was without a single problem, the yield was much lower than last year.

T

1 Like

To be honest, I don’t know.

I planted the seeds on May 18, and the plants first “showed” on May 24. Flowers were first seen on July 17. I harvested the plants on August 18 when one plant was 28” and the other two were 34”. Trimmed the bud, and dried it, with 24x7 fan in a dark closet for 6 days. The bud is now in 32oz jars in dark closet, and I’m “opening” the jars for 6 hours daily – with silica gel packages in each sealed jar.

I monitored the pistils until approximately 50% were “brown” and at that point I harvested all three.

Let me know if you believe I missed something or made a mistake!!!

Thanks.

T

How did the root ball look after you harvested, filled the pot? That could have been rootbound half its life. The bigger the pot, the bigger the root, the bigger the plant.
Once she gets root bound, the continued growth stalls even if you are on top of the Nutes/PH, this goes for all plants. Next grow step up to 5 or 7gals.
I used to run a flood table with 12 plants, using 1 gallon pots to purposely stunt each plant in SOG style. The roots would create a 2" thick carpet out of the pots by the time they were cut.

1 Like

“I planted the seeds on May 18, and the plants first “showed” on May 24. Flowers were first seen on July 17. I harvested the plants on August 18 when one plant was 28” and the other two

Were 34”. Trimmed the bud and dried it in a dark closet for 6 days (with small fan going 24x7. The bud is now in 32oz jars, stored in a totally dark environment – I’m “opening” the jars for 6 hours daily – with silica gel packages in each sealed jar.

I monitored the pistils until approximately 50% were “brown” and at that point I harvested all three. Please let me know if you believe I missed something, or made a mistake.

Should I have delayed the harvest for few days? The plants were exceptionally healthy!

Thanks.

T

Tht means u harvested at week 4-5 of flower. Sacrificed much yield that way. I know the site’s and seedbanks advert 8-10 weeks from seed. Its a lie. Weed needs 8-10 weeks to flower minimally

3 Likes