Purple Kush auto seedlings dying in hydro setup

From a fellow grower: The first two just got about 1.5" tall after starting them. I took them out of the DWC system because I thought they were getting wet feet. They lived about 4 days and I thought I’d won. Went to check on them the next morning and they were bent over and looking very, very :pensive:. I I’d just like to understand what is going on & did I do it(which I probably did :sweat_smile:). Let me also state that I changed my lighting system from halide to LED right before I started the auto flowers.

GERMINATION: 1/16 tsp of Hydrogen Peroxide and 1 TBS of Brita water pitcher water(no tap water) & I don’t pH it either. Once the tap root comes out 1/8"-1/4" I transfer it to a 2" black plastic basket with rockwool or peat pellet that’s been prepped for the DWC system.
STRAIN: Purple Kush auto flower.
CLIMATE: Indoor closet of 2’ x 2’ x 8’. White walls with black plastic on the floor.
TEMPERATURE: upper 70’s because of the ambient temperature of my apartment year around :upside_down_face:.
HUMIDITY: N/A (I don’t have any meters to measure it :tired_face:, but I don’t think there’s a lot).
VENTILATION: Dual 8" exhaust fans, a recirc fan with auto rotate, NO A/C in closet, but I have 2 in the apartment for summertime.
CO2: Yes, I have 2 on demand systems(5lb bottle & mushroom style stuff in a bag).
MEDIUM: 5 gallon DWC system with (4)–2" black plastic baskets built into the lid. Dual air pumps with 4 hoses and stones.
pH: 5.5 using a color code chart like ones for swimming pools. Reservoir is filled in bath tub with neutral (7.0) tap water & I use approximately 1/8 to 1/4 tsp of pH down to get it at 5.5.
NUTRIENTS: Nothing until tap root & other roots come out of rockwool or pellet & hit the water. Then I follow the instructions on the “General Hydroponics” & “Fox Farms” nutrient bottles.
LIGHT TYPE/SCHEDULE: LED 1000W “Luyimin” brand on pulley system & a BN Link" timer. I just changed from a 600W “switchable” Metal/H.P.S. system due to heat & power cost issues.

I have a feeling that the light change is the major reason for the problem or issue that I’m having with the seedlings dying or wanting to die. Also, if you have both switches on the LED(veg & bloom) does that hurt the little girls while starting in seedling stage? LED recommendations please?

2 Likes

In my experience there are 3 vital needs for a seedling to thrive. Temps between 78-82, RH 65-75% and proper water amounts. Seedlings require very little water and will absorb moisture from the air. I would suggest misting the inside of a clear solo cup and placing it over the seedlings to create a humidity dome. Remove it daily for re-misting and some fresh air :love_you_gesture:

3 Likes

I’ll also point out that seedlings show they are not receiving enough light.

2 Likes

Look up the app photone to check the par of the light and adjust as needed. Also ph of 5.5 is low . Hydroponics is 5.8 . Soak the rockwool in ph 5.8 water shake couple times so it’s not water logged but don’t squeeze. Place seed in rockwool tear little piece of rockwool to cover seed hole lightly. Seed has to be able to push back through it remember. Cover rockwool with clear solo cup or humidity dome and mist inside cup to help create higher humidity. Seeds do not need light until u can see them popping up but I recommend having a light on anyways bc helps keep them warm. Once seedlings start showing roots from rockwool move them to a dwc bucket keeping the water level 1-2” from bottom of the net. Them air pump should create oxygen bubbles that raise a mist the bottom of the nets .

2 Likes

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and your information. I will apply it and hopefully I can get better results.

1 Like

Thanks I did change my system back to 600W metal/HPS. I learned a quick lesson on this one!

Anytime Growmie, do you have any update pics? You’re in a great place with tons of experienced cultivators very willing to help :love_you_gesture:

I will post some new ones here in a week or so. I wanna let the little girls do their thing first.

Here’s my attempt at a “greenhouse effect” to help them along.

1 Like

Anything that’s transparent and will seal the moisture will help :love_you_gesture:

Question…about auto’s from earlier.
I used rockwool & pre soaked them to bring down the pH to 5.8 & a very little nutrient solution. I also think I may have moved them to quickly from under my lights in the starter/veg closet. It has mini LED’S(not sure on specs) & a 125W fluorescent grow light & mini DWC system too. My other closet is veg/bud with 600W I tried some other LED’S but they didn’t seem to be up to the job so I replaced them with 600W. I have a 1000W switchable but dont use it because of heat issues and to small of space. Might sell if know anyone interested ($155)? I’m including some pictures of the starter/veg room. I’m thinking really, really hard about stripping everything down including what I know & starting over!!! What do you think? How do you do it?
Sorry if I’m a royal pain N the ass(don’t mean 2B :slight_smile: )
Thanx
–Robert

1 Like

I start and grow my seedlings under a small fluorescent light. I transplant at 14 days or so above ground if their healthy and under my regular grow lights. I set the lighting using DLI for the appropriate growth stage. Smaller lights will work fine for vegg’n but to produce any decent buds a minimum of 35 watts per square foot with a quality light will be needed. Most reputable lighting companies use Samsung B or H series diodes :love_you_gesture:

Thankx I appreciate.

1 Like

Keep me in the loop Grow Bro, I’ll help you through this journey :love_you_gesture:

Well thankx to Claire(staff) and Robert(owner of course) these Purple Kush auto flowers are ALIVE(say like Dr. Frankenstein)!!! Just keeping you in the loop and trying 2B silly :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. Cause I’m so happy like a proud papa. Doh!

1 Like

Hey what nutrients do you use? Also I use General Hydroponics grow, micro & bloom & tiger bloom or bud candy for extra at budding. Plus I pH the water first before adding nutrients Also I heard Miracle-Gro is a no-no true or false? Thankx for putting up with me again by the way!!!

LOOKING GOOD SO FAR!!!
keeping fingers, toes, hair, legs, eyes, thoughts & arms crossed on this 1…

1 Like

I also got way better LED’S and new 600W HPS bulb. As you can see their nice and short, not all gangly from stretching like before. Better maintained pH’d water plus it seems the pellets are superior to rockwool. Im running with it unless told otherwise? I do value your guys opinions. Thankx 4 listening.

1 Like

Right on Grow Bro, what’s the distance from the net cup to the nutrient solution…just asking because I see water droplets on the leaves and wondering if that’s from the solution being too high and the bubbling action is splashing the leaves. 2” above the solution from the bottom of the net cup would be ideal :love_you_gesture:

The droplets are from misting the plants. I do that right before they go night night. Im glad you approve. DWC is tricky to say the least. I’m not sure if I’m going to switch over yet :thinking:. I attached a pic of my OG Kush that I’m doing in dirt with my old system. Theres a huge difference I think. I’ll send more pictures in about 2 weeks.
16796574943185567793266599255066|281x500

1 Like