Purple Haze Grow Journal

In my opinion slow dry is better than fast. But you also have to work with what you have. In most cases what you do with fans will vary based on your current climate. If it’s really humid, you want fans moving a ton of air to keep humidity as low as possible. If it’s really dry, you want the opposite.

I typically try to keep rh in my drying space between 50-60%. Then when my smallest stems start to crack I jar. Not necessarily snap off.

Edit. I’ve seen a few members also use a paper bag or cardboard box between hang and jar too. This seems especially good in dryer climate where they’re drying out a little too fast hanging, but not quite ready for jars.

5 Likes

Thanks db. I check just a min. ago and noticed they are extremely dry looking to me. The RH was 35% and temp was 68*F. Stems still wet and bendy.

1 Like

Ya, 36 hours not a long time. Can you get rh up a little bit by slowing exhaust or something?

2 Likes

Well I just cut my dehumidifier off so we’ll see what happens a little later.

1 Like

Paper shopping bags are the ticket. Plus, you can weigh the full bag daily and see how much water is coming off the flower. Personally I think a brittle stem is too dry. Yes: properly cured bud will have a brittle stem but that takes place over time. Boveda packs are a good idea too when the time comes.

I like 50 to 60% too for drying.

5 Likes

Sounds like a plan. Low is better than high, so keep an eye on it.

Like @Myfriendis410 says you don’t want to over dry. That’s why I monitor the smallest stems. There’s a lot of variables that come into play, so just try to be ahead of the game instead of behind.

2 Likes

Thanks Myfriend. Is ok to jar the smaller buds or should I just wait and jar them all at the same time. @dbrn32 and @Myfriendis410 I just read about those Boveda packs a few min. ago. Myfriend do you get them off amazon?

2 Likes

I usually jar it all when the small stems snap. I also “grade” mine when I jar it by putting the nicest buds together. Burp them twice a day for a week or two then once a day for a week or two. The Boveda packs go in sometime in the 4th week. You can get them on Amazon. I use the 8 gram 62% packs for a quart jar.

4 Likes

Thanks @SilentHippie. I appreciate your input. I just hope it didn’t dry to quick. BTW, I also enjoy reading your post on other grows as well. Thanks for your contributions!!

3 Likes

You’re good for now. Seems like a few of us use the boveda differently. I don’t cure with them unless I need to. But others seem to have no issue curing with them. And they are available on amazon. I’m not sure what everyone else thinks, but I like the the small ones I think 2 gram for quart sized jars. And the 8 gram for something larger like a 1 gallon.

There’s probably 20 ways you can be successful, so don’t sweat it too much. A ton of us have successfully dried and cured harvests by hanging for a set amount of time and going straight to jars. A few tips and a little more equipment definitely makes it nearly foolproof, but one of those things like horseshoes and hand grenades. Close is usually plenty good enough.

6 Likes

I use the 2 gram in a quart jar too. I also use them as soon as my flower goes in the jar. Yes; I get them off of Amazon.

I also use some of those clear totes with lids to help bring things down to the correct moisture content by venting the lid and airflow differently while monitoring the RH inside the tote. It’s a little easier for me than the paper bag method.

3 Likes

I put em in the jar with dried weed immediately too. N bought a few at a cigar shop. Boveda’s site has ‘stores that sell near you’

2 Likes

Hey that’s great to know. I need to go by my local shop anyways. I’ll check there first. We actually have some in our shopping cart on the A, just haven’t checked out yet. Thank bud! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

@raustin @blackthumbbetty I finally have some shake that I’m going to use to make budder! I’ve been reading about storage and one thing I read was to NEVER put fresh weed in the freezer because it destroys the trichomes. So should I store it in a glass jar and treat it the same way I treat the bud? Thanks so much for all the help for this grow! Mrs. (exhausted from trimming) Spy

1 Like

You can put dried weed in the freezer, especially if you’re using it for budder. The trichs will fall off easier when frozen, but they won’t be destroyed.

1 Like

@blackthumbbetty Thanks so much! This is a brand new adventure!

@raustin @MattyBear @Myfriendis410 @GreenThunder @Covertgrower @SilentHippie @GreenThunder
OK, not sure what I’ve done wrong but stems and buds are bone dry and brittle. Stems break and not snap. They’ve only been hanging since Thursday. I think it was the fan running in the tent for the first 36 hr. We made a decision to jar. We trimmed for 3 hours and are only about a 1/4 of the way through. So far we jarred 3 oz. of small buds and about 2 oz. of shake. I have 1 once in each jar. How much will that shrink down?

3 Likes

Yes, I would suspect the fan too. Not the worst, they can be rehydrated if too dry. Do you have a hygrometer?
It shouldn’t shrink any more after it’s dry.

2 Likes

Good decision. The centers of those buds are probably still wet, they should equalize in the jars. Don’t focus on exact weight jars right now, they will come down a little if still holding moisture. Just make sure they aren’t crammed in and you leave a little room.

After you’ve been at it for a while, go back and check the first jar you did. With any luck you’ll notice the outer part of bud start to get a little spongy again.

3 Likes

Hey @GreenThunder we do. The RH has been right around 40-50% with temps low to mid 60’s to 70*F. There are a few buds that are still soft or slightly moist. So, that’s what I’m hoping that they will re-hydrate. Definitely wont be doing a 6 month grow on the next one… lol Thanks man! :sunglasses:

4 Likes