Pruning techniques

What are some good pruning techniques. I have some plants that I’ve attempted lollipoping but want to do more with them. It’s my first grow so I’m open to all suggestions.

3 Likes

@JohnDoe97 First question…Auto or Photoperiod?

2 Likes

They’re photoperiod

1 Like

There are a lot of different techniques . Schwazzing , is trimming away nearly all of the larger leaves so light can get deeper into the plants center . And can be done as late as the 4/5 week of flowering .
Fimming , it’s like topping/ tipping the plant or taking clones . But only take the very center of the top/tip of the plant .
Then you have monster / super cropping , where you take clones off of a flowering plant .
I suggest you read as many different journals as you can . And experiment with some . There are even techniques where you squeeze and twist the stems and branches and others where you either spick the base of the plant with copper wire or a wooden stake . Good luck with your grow

3 Likes

During veg phase I try to be as hands off as I can. I will do selective pruning up top on the plants but all of the under growth gets left alone. Once you start flower you shouldnt cut anything off until after their stretch is over. The flower stretch is considered the first 3 weeks of flower.
I do 2 major defoliations during the grow. One at day 21 of flower and the last one at day 42. The lollipop technique should be used on the day 21 defoliation. So when your looking at the plant, all the lower growth that didnt make it to the top canopy gets cut off.

Here is a reference of a before and after…of my day 21 defoliation

BEFORE

AFTER

2 Likes

Lookup Kyle Kushman super cropping on youtube for some great ideas on how to prune and super crop in preparation for flowering.

2 Likes

This is unrelated to pruning but I have a flowering tent and one of my girls has a pretty bad deficiency that I can’t get into line. It’s starting to affect the flowers would it be better to cut it now

or have some of the flower ruined due to deficiency?

I’m on week 6 almost 7 of flower

Looks like calcium deficiency. I would make sure your root zone numbers are in check and boost the calcium up a bit. The leaves will never fix themselves so just watch for progression

1 Like

Pretty sure I got salt buildup from not having runoff during waterings so I flushed not too long ago but think I’m going to have to again as its slowly getting worse