Pruning questions

I don’t imbibe but my SO does. He likes his smoke and I like gardening. I picked up some decent teens; gorilla Glue 4, Golden Goat, Skywalker OG, Bordelio, and Sour Diesel. After reading all the info I am in over my head! It’s not like spider plants, Swedish Ivy or philodendron! The grower did a great job trimming but these girls are all 12-18” seemingly overnight! The Sativa seem to be branching okay and the two Indica dominants have a main stem. I have them on 18 hours of light with a fan and use grow-rite fertilizer. I have a place we’re they can flower set up on timers for 12:12 with a fan. I think they need trimming and I’d like to cut two clones from each but don’t know where to pick cuttings? Low shoots, inside shoot or top the plant? Please help me wise ones. We have 4 adults and are allowed 24 live plants at any one time.

1 Like

Hello @JaneQP welcome to the ILGM forum! Topping would make them bush out, and anywhere that needs airflow for trimming. You can even take your clones with selective pruning. I have had the best success with taking the lower branches and use only the green flexible part of stem, if it is too “woody” they may not take.

2 Likes

Lower branches are best, check out my cloning thread for more info on cloning.

3 Likes

These gals were about 8 weeks old when received and I am now noticing the lower limbs are stunted and showing some sign of possible nutrient overload or deficiency. The new growth since I flushed, re-potted and added soil primer to the repotting mix is vibrant. Should I still consider those lower stunted branches for cloning? I will be asking a lot of questions over the next year or two!

1 Like

Yes, the lower branches have more rooting hormones or so I have read! They may look ugly, but should be OK. How are you doing the clones, soil, rockwool or aero?

2 Likes

I am not knowledgeable about advanced cloning techniques at all. I am just the water up for a day, roll in root hormone, plant in a plug in a solo cup dome, and see if it grows kind of person for now…I will definitely upgrade as I get the feel for the process.

1 Like

This video covers a lot of good stuff. Defoliation is in there.

3 Likes

Worked for me for 25 years, with good results! I use a homemade aerocloner(about $30 to build, and simple) now, and so far 100% success rate! So I am partial to lazy I guess :grin:? All I have to do is make sure ph is 6.0, and 74-77 water temp.

1 Like

Thank you! I took a cut of the stunted Skywalker OG and Gorilla glue 4. I could not find my rooting hormone from 5 years ago and two stores I stopped at were sold out. So they are in water that sat overnight in volcanic rock and I’ll see if they take. They really look like runts. Two inches long but four nodes each - is that normal? I am now thinking this grower cut a lot from these girls for making more clones. I am considering taking care of these distressed girls as mommies. Since I started taking care of them the new growth have larger stems than the base - again is this normal?

Let’s see some pics of the growth you mentioned compared to the main stalk. The runts take a bit to get going but generally turn out fine. I use Clonex gel for mine and it works great, not sure about it’s makeup though?

Hope these pics show up. I received the girls at 8 weeks in root bound solos and at lot of clones may have taken? Bottom growth is stunted and has what looks like nutrient burn?