Pruning autoflower Jack H

Should I top them when the reach 10-12 inches or LST/Tying down when they are taller.
Currently 5 inches tall at 17 days above ground.
First time - Thanks

2 Likes

Personally I’ve topped all my autos between the 5th and 6th node and did minimal pushing and pulling on the branches mostly sideways just to move them from under one another

3 Likes

Thank you! This is really exciting!

2 Likes

And even more addicting so be ready for a long ride into this great hobby

1 Like

If you don’t top it it will grow like a Christmas tree and unless you got a good lamp those lower branches are going to suffer, meaning Loose airy bud.

I let mine grow up to 5th or 6th node. Cut at the lower 3.5 node. Leave a little space when you make that cut so your plant don’t split on you. This topping will give you more of a upside down umbrella partially open look. 6 Tops.

Cut above 4 you get 8 tops.

They say don’t cut autos but I have had good luck with it personally.

I got 3 wedding cakes autos in the oven right now in my 22x22. It’d be 1 if I didn’t top em.

1 Like

Rick,

What kind of light are you going to use and nutrients, and your medium if you don’t mind me asking?

1 Like

I’ve got one Bestva LED 1000. Medium is half ocean forest half black gold organic. Haven’t decided on nutrients yet, figured it’s good for 4 weeks? Ideas?
So, you let them grow 2 nodes past where you are going to top/cut it? Is it so the stalk has time to strengthen between the 3-4 node?
Thanks

1 Like

So if you look at my photo, I’ve already got four nodes and it’s not even 5 inches tall. Almost ready to be topped?

1 Like

Rick,

Brother I go old school cheap General Hydroponics Flora Trio Nutes and Cal Mag starting using a dash of Epsom Salts to help promote green waxy leaves. I hear the Epsom Salts are a Natural Magnesium but people still use it with the Cal Mag anyway. Cal Mag because I have to use RO water as my city water is bad… Not many here using the Flora Trio here.

The Sky is the limit. Advance Nutrients, Lots of Jack’s users here. I can not tell you alot about fertilizers with the exception of don’t over use them, LOL.

I just try and keep it real simple and I am making big improvements each grow.

I have my current post going right now. Come by and BS and I will freely share anything good about growing I got in my head. I got some grow heavy weights who are helping me keep my Grow on track. I ramble alot in my journal but I use it to come back and compare later on follow on grows. Digital notebooks I can refer back on later.

Growing is starting to make sense to me now. Before I was just splashing potions around.

I got to get better at reading the leaves though. I’ve got alot to learn.

1 Like

Many say not to top Autos, others like me are willing to accept the risk of Stunting the plant. If you’re going to top them Grow out to 5th or 6th node Before…yes cutting them lower at the 3.5. Leave you a little nub there above that 3rd where your going to snip it… Now you can do anything you desire but cutting plants at the 3rd, 4th… it is kind of a preference.

Autos you don’t have along time. They are like lighting a fire cracker fuse.

I am growing out of my converted Linen closet LOL so I want mine to grow up and between my 3 plants I have 18 Tops growing in my space which is Pushing it. I had a tent but It made me too paranoid as it seemed like the elephant in the room did not like it in my small house.

1 Like

I’d grow it to when it is pushing out that 6th pair and then cut it. I am not waiting around with these autos.

Don’t count the initial set that held the inner seed.

2 Likes