Pruned my plants while in the flowering stage

I started my plants on 12-12 3 days ago. Today I decided to do a little pruning and was told that was a bad idea, was hoping to get some info on the matter if maybe I should leave well enough alone or put them back in the veg stage for awhile. Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is my first time growing. Thanks

1 Like

How drastic was the pruning? Why did you decide to prune?

Hi, thanks for your reply. I trimmed a bit of the lower foliage on both my plants not thinking it would harm them

Photo or auto?

Sorry , do you want a photo?

I meant what kinda plant is it. Photo or auto. Lol. I’m assuming photo since you’re on a 12/12 for your flower.

I guess , im new at this , I started them 3 days ago so I dont know how serious it could be

I had incredibly bushy white widow and bad airflow. I pulled a few leaves off the first couple days then waited till week 3 and was given the green light to thin them out.

It really depends on what you’re running. If they’re photos you can but if they’re autos you don’t want to. Or not more than once and only a little.

That shouldn’t be too problematic. A picture would be helpful.

I trim throughout the first 3 to 4 weeks on flowering to keep up with the stretch. It’s never been a problem. Just don’t take off more than 1/4 to 1/3 in one trimming and you should be golden.

This is for photoperiod plants. I wouldn’t trim at all if you are growing autoflowering plants.

1 Like

Sorry so long getting back to u but because I’m a new user they only allowed me a few responses , than I has to wait for 23 hrs before I could post again. So what your saying is it should be good to continue with the 12-12 and the trimming shouldn’t hurt them. I never removed very much and only from the bottom couple branches.

Sorry so long getting back to u but because I’m a new user they only allowed me a few responses , than I has to wait for 23 hrs before I could post again. Not sure how to post pics. Are u suggesting that keeping them at 12-12 shouldn’t be too problematic ?

1 Like

Here are the pics

3 Likes

As you described, you only seem to have removed foliage from the lower 2/5 of the plants. This is a common practice, and it shouldn’t affect the plant’s ability to (a) convert light into growth or (b) to form new flowers. On a scale from 1-10 (1 being a strong fan blast and 7 being cutting off the upper 1/3 of the meristem) I rate this a 2.

I’ll caution you that any pruning can stress a plant, and some cultivars will respond to stress in negative ways. The transition from vegetative to flower cycles is a stress, albeit a mild one. This is something worth keeping in mind if you decide to grow a more temperamental cultivar.

The plants look healthy enough. Good job there! From here on out I’d advise low stress training only.

Side-note: Thank you for posting photos. The shots are a bit shaky, and if holding the camera steady is an issue, maybe use one of those chairs as a third leg. Pressing the shutter too exuberantly is also a common mistake. Hopefully that helps.

Another small tip is to provide a concise rundown of your setup with any support post; Lights, tent size (W,D,H), ventilation, temperature range, cultivar, container size, medium, etc. It’s just helpful info to tuck into the first post.

Cheers!

Thanks for the great info. Have a great day and stay safe!

1 Like