Prune in flower stage?

My 2 girls are big and the space is small, 2x4x5. I want more light to go deeper in the plant and I LST constantly to keep lower from the light and I was wondering if pruning the big fan leaves will hurt the yield?

I don’t know if removing a few would matter or not but I believe that the rule of thumb is don’t touch anything once flowering has 100% started? I think you only want to do your last trimming or pruning during the two weeks of preflower right after you switch to your 12/ 12 light cycle.
I’m sure some of the pros will have more advice than that. Thank you enjoy your growing.

1 Like

If you can tuck any of the leaves that would probably be the safest route to go. But like I said some of the pros might have some ideas.

1 Like

Ok, I’m in my first week of changing to 12/12. I’m also getting a taller tent to move them into in a couple of days

@Whitepot. Google shwazzing. It’s all about taking off leaves at certain times. I just did mine last night. Check it out. Its titled “here I go again”

1 Like

I like to tuck those big fans down to get light below, but I’ve also pruned them well into flower. I think as long as you don’t overdo it you should be ok.

You can remove anything that directly covers a bud site and tuck the bigger leaves it’s a fine ballance so don’t go overboard. I personally do thin out my leaves come week 2 or 3 of flower to get some light deeper into plant. But please do at own risk

3 Likes

Awesome, reading it now

HornHead
February 14 |

@Whitepot. Google shwazzing. It’s all about taking off leaves at certain times. I just did mine last night. Check it out. Its titled “here I go again”

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To

Whitepot
February 14 |

Ok, I’m in my first week of changing to 12/12. I’m also getting a taller tent to move them into in a couple of days

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

1 Like

Ok, it seems that the prune should be early in flower and like you said not 2 much

raustin
February 14 |

I like to tuck those big fans down to get light below, but I’ve also pruned them well into flower. I think as long as you don’t overdo it you should be ok.

In Reply To

Whitepot
February 14 |

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

There are many valid reasons for thinning of crowded canopy: airflow, mildew, poor canopy penetration.

If you are growing photo period plants (sounds like) judicious pruning is perfectly fine. You have to remember that sugar production happens in the leaves.

2 Likes

The plant needs those leaves to grow buds… you can’t have one without the other… :wink:

:v: :sunglasses:

2 Likes

You can remove a few of the leaves as @Myfriendis410 mentioned there are valid reasons to do so but I wouldn’t be to aggressive
As @peachfuzz mentioned they need those leaves as well so becareful not to remove to many if you decide to move forward
I personally try not to remove anything that healthy
If it yellow or yellowing i may discard it
Maybe get in a prune the undergrowth
That tends to clog canopy as well with shoots trying to reach the light :bulb:
Can you post a picture of the whole plant from the side

2 Likes

I took some fan leaves today. I looked to take inside leaves. Now I’m a little worried about the light, it’s as high as it can go. They’re 12’’ away and that’s it. Had one top get burned but looking better

2 Likes

@Whitepot. Not sure if I missed it, but what kind of light do you have. And how strong is it?

Viparspectra 300w two of them

@Whitepot. Depending on how you have your lights hung, you may be able to get about 6 more inches of hieght out of them. Can you get a pic of how your lights are hung.

maybe run cord through light hoops and attach to top rod of tent? But wondering is fan getting enough airflow to cool itself…

I use my lights like that with a little less top room and I did it for aboUT a 5 week period and they did just fine as long as you have a strong enough fan for exhaust. If your tent or room has negative pressure you should be good

Yeah, that’s how I got mine as well. Only other option would be to lst more. I train my plants so the branches resemble a candelabra

. The plant is only 18" tall. And here’s what my canopy looks like

6 Likes

I will definitely try that next time. The girls r too strong and straight. Not sure what I can do with them.