Proper spacing for growing in ground

I’m growing cannabis for the first time this year. I want to try growing in ground in my vegetable garden but can’t find specific info about how much space the plants need. I’m trying both photoperiod and auto flower. How much space do the cannabis plants need between each other? (how wide will they get?) and any other advice about interplanting with vegetables?

5 Likes

Welcome to the community. Thats a loaded question LOL. let me tag a few people @Happilyretired @Cannabian @Caligurl

1 Like

What do you mean by loaded???
Keep talking. I can handle nuance.

All I’ve been able to find so far is, “allow adequate air flow.” Is that two feet? Four? More?

2 Likes

Well, I think that will depend on the size of your pot. I use 30 gallons and my photo was huge… about 6 feet wide and 7 feet tall. The autos were, at the max, 3 - 3.5 feet wide and about 3 feet tall. @Happilyretired has bigger pots so I’ll wait for him to chime in. He’s the expert… last year was my first outdoor grow.

4 Likes

Oh, and my advice with vegetables, read up carefully and don’t choose veggies that attract mites or aphids! My pole beans were a MAGNET for pretty much every creepy crawly to be seen. There are companion plants that either repel insects or attract them away from your sacred plant. Then, of course, you have to be careful and read up on planting some veggies with others… like basil and tomatoes don’t mix right next to each other but separated they help each other out. Google companion plants for veggies. That will let you know what plants are susceptible to certain bugs and which ones help each other out or the opposite.

Happily is also great at companion plants!!!

6 Likes

Sorry didn’t mean anything by it. Like @Caligurl said some of them get huge. I grow indoors in an illegal state. I know @Cannabian grows some huge plants.

4 Likes

I grew 2 plants in a 5x10 dog run and they filled it completely from wall to wall and 9ft tall and they were crowding each other. If I wasn’t using the dog run I’d put them 4ft apart minimum. 6ft would be better give you a lot of room to spread the plants out horizontal.

5 Likes

I wouldn’t put them right in with the veggies, “too many critters” but next to the veggies with a nice barrier of clover around them. Even still you need to be prepared to deal with insects. I lost lbs worth of buds last year to caterpillars. I grew corn surrounding one of my greenhouses. Im convinced that the corn moths caterpillars are the same ones that caused all the damage. Im not growing corn this year.

2 Likes

I like your clover idea.
Cover crop/ living mulch/ nitrogen fixer

@plumbdand Just an fyi, I had a 30’x 30’ garden of corn, no issues with caterpillars,( it was about 100’ from the greenhouse), but got kinda lazy and didn’t plant marigolds, and had an aphid issue.
I will be planting marigolds,dill,chives,onions,and cat nip all around the greenhouses this year. Will see what happens. :sunglasses: @Jonsey I had 4 in my greenhouse an it’s 7 1/2’x 26’ and it filled it up. Seeing it’s your 1st grow, I would shoot for 4’ at least. Good luck an keep us posted.:money_mouth_face:

2 Likes

Thank you for the companion suggestions :star_struck:

2 Likes

Absolutely no doubt there! This year my ‘veggie’ garden is only going to have things that bugs don’t like… onion, basil, carrots, chard, cat nip, wheat grass and tomatoes… and marigolds everywhere!. The brussel sprouts, squash, fennel, and everything else goes in the upper garden… that’s a very long way away from the sacred plants!

3 Likes

Every ear of corn I grew last year had a caterpillar in it I think I only salvaged maybe 10 ears off of around 100 corn plants. Crazy thing was they mainly attacked just one of my pot plants. Probably in the area of 100 caterpillars were on that one plant. Every single cola on every branch on that plant had to be clipped off and tossed.

1 Like

At night moth and little butterfly at day time lay eggs everytime they bump there ass on plants there laying eggs there pretty but there bad news in garden

2 Likes

3 Likes

Was it a lemon kush or orange terp plant.? Those 2 get infested w caterpillars every time I try them. Like not one in ANY other canna plant, but more caterpillars than vegetable matter in the orange and lemons. Ditto on the clone trays. Infested.

Lemon kush
Agent orange
Tangie
Lemon haze
Passed on sun kissed & lemon Jeffrie (Rasta Jeff irie) but thinking I may have to try for data.

Anyone else see this correlation.?

2 Likes

I grow lots o corn too. (Semi sweet, not super sweet).
Never had but a few in the corn.

@Jonsey spacing depends on you. If you want a monster tree give 5-10 feet. If you plan to keep it to a tomato cage or so 3-5 feet is plenty. If they crowd they will compete. You will get winners and losers mold (airflow) aside. The more you top them the more they bush out on you and spread horizontally. If you want them smaller side, wait till the solstice week to put them out. Smaller plants with highier plant counts. Outdoor SOG so to speak.

Your best outdoor cover crops for canna are going to be evergreens. All the food crops give up way before the cannabis in my humble opinion. Then that ready to harvest plant really stands out against the dead corn and tomatoes. The cannabis holds on much longer. Your best friends are:
Rosemary
Lavender
Christmas trees

All evergreen. Easily potted (movable). Rosemary gets real big and the spears it grows in naturally look a lot (shape) like cannabis across the yard. Smells great, rough it up a lot. Lavender is slower growing but looks pretty good spaced w rosemary and cannabis. Smells good too. Both of these clone with no effort. Living Xmas tree are a believable garden hobby and you can give them away when they get too big. Makes a good living screen too. Honestly, the veggies fool no one once they sadly melt back.
Just my 5 cents.

5 Likes

Here is a good example. Dj short blueberry last summer: 5 foot tall cages spaced 3ft on the centers. Wish I had given these 4ft.

I have only grown autos 3 times so I don’t know what to advise. Besides variable plant size maybe? Photos, I know photos. Just ask my friend. Happy growing to you. Good luck on your knowledge quest. You may try using the search tool if you have not all ready. There’s a lot of threads here. This site is like the big city in my opinion. So much traffic

4 Likes

@Caligurl Just an fyi, the fennel is supposed to help keep aphids away. I am unable to fine this, as I would add it to all the others that I’m going to plant.

2 Likes

@plumbdand as @Caligurl was saying about pole beans and aphids, that may have been my aphid issue as well. Had a row in the same area. :tired_face: live an learn.

3 Likes