Proper LED Lighting for 4x4

Hey guys first time grower here. I’m about 3 weeks into it and have 4 super lemon haze girls looking great so far. I currently have a 4x4 indoor tent with one 1000w KingLed. I’ve spoken to a few friends about their lighting, and a few have suggested that my light may be too small. I’m not sure if I should supplement with additional lighting, or what the wattage on that lighting would be. Realistically if I could get away with the one 1000w without hurting my yield substantially I would be relieved.

I attached a picture of my setup, any and all criticism is highly appreciated. Thanks guys!

grow2

2 Likes

You’ll probably be okay in veg for a while, but if you want high yield, dense buds you are going to need more for flowering.

I had a 1200 watt for 4 plants much like you are doing. I ordered 2 HLG 288 quantum boards and have no regrets. The 1200w is now unused and I can’t imagine going back. My plants really took off when I put the HLG lights up.

2 Likes

Unfortunately the LED import manufacturers mislead customers about the output of their systems. If you look at the watts drawn from the wall, you can divide that by 50 to get a baseline sq.footage the light will flower.

How much to you think you can pull together for additional lighting?

2 Likes

I have heard that advertised wattage isn’t always the case. I would prefer to not spend a ton more on additional lighting, so a few hundred is probably around my price range.

Could you imagine buying a couple Mars Hydro Ts 1000 lights (~$300 total), and then another one in a month or two? Because that would really fill out your tent.

1 Like

I have those exact same lights!

They are great supplemental lights

Get a 260w xl from hlg. You won’t regret the purchase

3 Likes

I do 2 260, and a king led for each of my 4x4’s

1 Like

the King LED covers about 3.7 square feet, which is shy of 2’x2’.

2 Likes

King led pushes somewhere in the 180-220 range

Hlg can be pushed to 270-280

You can get about 740-760w if you do it that way. Get 45-47.5w/sq ft

1 Like

Yeah that’s reasonable, would you say two should be enough? It’s also worth mentioning that when it comes to spectrum and customization lights I wouldn’t have a clue

PharmerBob would you mind sending a picture of your setup? Those sound good, just not sure how they would fit evenly with my 1000w. Honestly wouldn’t mind taking the 1000w out didn’t realize it was a cheap light hah

I’ve also considered just putting in 3 extra 1000w but I’m kinda worried that may be too much for them

Of course

2 Likes

I use the regular 260’s but if I had a chance to snag some xl heatsink a I would

1 Like

I’d want 4 Mars Hydro TS 1000’s for a 4x4 space*, but you already own the King LED.

You’ve got time to build up to that ideal number of lights. Buying 1 now and adding another every month could work, if funds are tight.

3 Likes

That light pulls 185 watts at the wall.

To flower a 4’x4’ with blurple lights you’d need 800watts at the wall. Almost 4 more of those lights.

2 hlg qb260xl would fill the tent out nicely. But, there are other options.

3 Likes

250 from my meter

2 Likes

Yea you can get it to do what you want but you’ll need 4 total maybe 3

1 Like

If you can spend the money, 2 HLG 260xl Rspec kits work awesome in a 4x4 tent and that is what I have.

3 Likes

Shits expensive but totally worth it, especially when you can remove the drivers and set them into an exterior room to reduce heat if need be

1 Like

Yeah im looking into the HLG 260XL’s but for two im looking at roughly $700 which is bit much for me.

1 Like