Promix for planting

I live in the Finger Lakes Region of New York, lots of Mennonites with greenhouses. I can get 60lb bales of promix for $25, any thoughts on this growing medium

1 Like

On a side note I have a bit of chicken manure that is a few yrs old and I also have a woodstove

Is commonly used

1 Like

Nice, they get it by the pallet load, super cheap

1 Like

Definitely won’t need that much

2 Likes

I think one bale should be plenty, lol, I think that’s why they can sell it for so cheap because they buy it in bulk, plus they use it as well, I wish I needed a pallets worth

1 Like

That would be amazing :star_struck:

1 Like

Not all ProMix is the same. You’ll want to know the exact product name. Almost of them will work, but they need to be handled differently.

Think of ProMix like a hydroponic system. It comes with a little bit of nutrient content, but it’s so soluble you’ll end up with an inert medium after a few waterings.

So if you’re looking to use hydroponic nutrient fertigation, ProMix is great. If you expect it to work like soil, you’ll be disappointed.

Good price though. I think we’re seeing $50 per 3.8cuft bale at my agricultural supply place.

1 Like

Do you recommend adding say mushroom compost, chicken manure, straw etc

No. I recommend treating it as a hydroponic medium that needs to be fertigated less frequently. It’s a good deal if you need ProMix, but is it worth a failed grow because you want to fit a square peg in a round hole?

2 Likes