Problem with my second grow

Hey guys, been a while since I’ve had a chance to get on here(life & work getting in the way). I’ve been doing my second grow & everything has been going well, been scroging some ilgm super skunk & two days ago the leaves in the back corner have been turning brown on the edges & it’s got me stumped. It started in the back left corner & has moved down the left side & there are some patches in the undergrowth through the middle. Hope you guys can help.

COPY/PASTE the below list into your forum post.
Answer these simple questions the best you can.
If you do not know, or do not use something; Just say so = NA

Strain; Ilgm Super Skunk (Week 4 of Flower)

Soil in pots, Coco Perlite mix

System type? Fabric pots

PH of runoff or solution in reservoir? 5.8pH

What is strength of nutrient mix? 1500 TDS

Indoor

Light system, size? Mars Hydro ll 1600(650 actual watts)

Temps; Day, Night 25c all the time

Humidity; Day, Night 35 to 40% all the time

Ventilation system; Yes 165cfm 4” fan

AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier: humidifier & De-humidifier

Co2; No

If you can, upload a picture of your plant. It helps the diagnosis, if needed.

@Buds007 looks like either cal mag deficiency or ph to low get the ph to a 6.3 5.8 is a bit on low side but it’s one of those 2 things let me try to get @Aolelon in here seems to know a bit more then me on deficiencies in soil then I do. I grow hydro and for hydro ph is 5.5 to 6.5

I would say overfeeding. It looks like a potassium problem, so I am going to say you’re having lock out issues. Your PH is fine, coco is a soiless medium so you PH it just like you would hydro. 5.5-6.5. I’ll post some pics when I am able to get home.

4 Likes

@Aolelon ty for coming in and giveing advice fig you would now better I didn’t see he was growing in coco lol sry

@Aolelon isn’t 1500 tds really high for week 4 of flower. I was at 1250 tds and that put the ppm at like 1700 as soon as I got the ppm to the 1200 range my ladies are bouncing back

Yea I would say try and bring your TDS down a bit. A flush would be best imo. Coco is really easy to fix with a flush

@Buds007 I only know this cose I literally just went through it on the grow I’m in now week 4 you want the ppm at about 1150 so tds I think is 850 or there about. And I grow rdwc

This isn’t cannabis, but if you look where the potassium deficient part is, it highly resembles what you have going on. Too much Calcium or Magnesium can lock out Potassium, which I think is what you have going on.
I would flush out your medium with 2x the volume of water that is needed for your plant. When flushing, make sure you use water that is PH’d correctly, and has some nutrients in it. as you want your plant to have some nutrient uptake.
c24ae2c0d8c7e42c351ea690f7eb252b--potassium-deficiency-composting

3 Likes

Thanks for all your replies guys, I knew you guys would help me get it sorted & I think I just figured out what I’ve done wrong(with all your help of course). I use CYCO Platinum nutrients & it says to have the TDS at 1450 so I didn’t think that was a problem, but I just read over my notes from my first grow & I used nutes all through the grow & had to do a nute, nute, flush regime in the later part of the bloom stage. I will give her a good flush tonight & go back to the regime I used last grow & hopefully that will control the problem. I’ll keep you guys updated for the final 4 weeks(a lot easier journal than the 300+ posts in my last one, lol)

3 Likes

This is exactly what is happening. You have a buildup combined with high TDS values and a lot of light too; that is a factor as well. I would be in the 1,300 PPM range myself and flush every two weeks. If you aren’t using a nutrient designed for media, add some cal mag at the watering stage. Always water to 10% runoff. 5.3 to 5.8 is your range.

I would pick up some Flora Kleen or Sledgehammer and use that soon as it will help break up any solids in the media. You might even want to do a runoff TDS to see where you are; I’ll bet it’s high.

1 Like

Awesome, thanks heaps! Yeah the CYCO nutes are designed for hydro & the TDS is to what they suggest, but I haven’t been doing the flush every third watering like last time & I will have a look for those products. Thanks again guys for all the input & putting me back on the correct path(just like last time, lol). I’ve said it before & im definitely going to say it again, this forum rocks! :grin:

1 Like

@Buds007 hay keep me in the loop

My current grow is in Promix HP (per @Countryboyjvd1971–wish me luck, John!) but I have used and really liked coco. The only reason I’m using Promix is good reports on it’s performance along with a higher PH when watering (soil PH is used, not hydro).

If you are aware of the idiosyncrasies of coco like extra cal mag and flushing every two weeks or so; it is an amazing substrate to use. FAR larger plants than in soil.

1 Like

I wish you the best of luck @Myfriendis410
But I know you dont need it buddy you got the skills lol
I love the promix myself
I have switched back to my well water when watering to get more trace minerals into the medium well water is at 360 ppm
i found using ro water all the time had me feeding earlier than normal
I still use the ro water when i mix my nutrients though this method has been working out great
I use the BX and it drains great the hp just has a little more perilite in it Its all good
I believe the have a few new lines as well @Hogmaster had mentioned it to me

1 Like

The only concern I had was when it’s dry it’s pretty hydrophilic but if you plan for it there really is not problem. The plants are happy.

1 Like

Waaaaaaahhhh :tired_face: the problem hasn’t gotten any better & the brown zone is now about 1/3 of the canopy! I did three 5L flushes over the last week(flush, feed, feed, flush, feed, feed, flush) & the brown zone hasn’t stopped getting bigger. :worried:

Don’t go by tds use the ppm and I need info light what the ppm is right now in solution how old is she need pic if u can send it and don’t flush her every feeding in soil it’s nuits plan water nuits and repeat hydro you only add water till your plants eat the ppm down to lower then what you want then you will add nuits to bring ppm up to where you need them

Soil in pots, Hydroponic, or Coco?

System type?

PH of runoff or solution in reservoir?

What is strength of nutrient mix? EC, or TDS

Indoor or Outdoor

Light system, size?

Temps; Day, Night

Humidity; Day, Night

Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size

AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier,

Co2; Yes, No

If you can, upload a picture of your plant. It helps the diagnosis, if needed.

Add anything else you feel would help us give you a most informed answer. Feel free to elaborate, but short, to the point questions and facts will help us help you :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Please fill this out @Buds007

Sorry :neutral_face: im
Just catching up on threads now

Hey @Countryboyjvd1971, I’m looking forward to your thoughts. All the answers to the support ticket are in post #1(thankfully there’s only 19 in this thread, lol), the only difference is the TDS is now 1200ppm.

Thanks @BigDaddyCain, I’ll give that a go. :+1: