Probing Your Thoughts

Hey, what’s going on folks? Getting set up to do my first grow. Almost have everything I need, but now I’m trying to decide on the grow media to use. I’ve done a lot of research as far as the media’s are concerned, but I guess I’m trying to decide on what would be best for a first time grower.

Using these forums for some of the research, I found a thread where people were having good results with Purple Cow Injidica and Fox Farm Soils, but I’ve also seen a Professor Bruce Bugbee from USU who has been doing this for 30 years with his oil soil recipe which is 50% peat, 50% vermiculite and 40g of Dolomitic Lime per cubic foot and 10g of Gypsum per cubic foot. So I know with Fox Farm and Bruce’s recipe you’d have to add fertilizer’s throughout the life of the plant, where as the Purple Cow you shouldn’t. Since this is my first grow coming up, I just wanted to get this out there and probe people’s thoughts. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Set up: 5x5 Tent, 2 TWS2000 Mars Hydro Lights, 6" Inline Ventilation System, 2 fans, Trellis Net, temp/humidity reader

1 Like

Welcome to the community. You’ll get great advice to help you make your decision. All I can say is HYDRO BABY!!

1 Like

My question is seed choice. Photo or auto? How ‘hot’ are your choices on soil? Too hot and it will kill your babies. I use fox farms happy frog.

2 Likes

Went with Zkittlez non auto and Super Lemon Haze non auto. And don’t understand your question about the soil being ‘hot.’ ?

1 Like

Some soil is for more established plants and some is lighter in nutrient charge and is more gentlen on young plants… pro mix is pretty good

1 Like

From what I was able to gather Bugbee’s recipe leaves the soil around a ph of 6.3. The other 2 I’m not sure but the Purple Cow indicates that it is usable from seed to harvest.

1 Like

I think ill continue growing with pro mix hp. Real good drainage, and i don’t think there are many nutrients in it other than mycorrhizae.

3 Likes

Promix or happy frog with a little extra perlite mixed in, I’ve had good grows with happy frog, good luck with your first grow, I’ll be watching🤞

1 Like

Welcome to the community.

I’ve grown for 3 years or so and I swear by ProMix HP. Never had an issue. You could also look into using Coco Coir. Many growers on here use it. I haven’t personally but might give it a try one day. I’m also looking into going hydro next grow. Good Luck.

2 Likes

Welcome to ILGM @Trifling01! Tons of awesome advice here! I’m sure the pros will chime in soon. So far I’ve grown in fox farms happy frog and it worked. now i’m in coco and my ladies seem to be growing faster. If it were me I would go with the more hands on approach. (adding nutes and what not) My thinking is If Inhave to add everything it forces me to learn more about the plants needs. Another thing I like about coco is there’s no musty soil smell when you water and transplant!

1 Like

Yup coco coir is the best soil like medium for hydro nutes I personally use coco organically 50% coco 20% compost 30% perlite and my indica autos got 2+ feet tall

1 Like

@Trifling01 - Are the soils you mentioned easily available any time? I ask because up until recently I always used FFOF, then because of the virus it wasn’t available within a reasonable distance. I ended up switching to Promix HP as a result.

Farm Fox I can pick up around the corner, Purple Cow has to be order, and Bruce’s recipe I can get in person at Home Depot minus the Gypsum and Dolomitic Lime which would be ordered online. I do think I am prolly try Bruce’s recipe and see how that goes. Hell if I fail, I can only get better right lol

1 Like