Pretty sure I have a dud

Hi all, first time grow. just simple 2x2 indoor tent growing 1 autoflower at a time. Planted my first seed in a Jiffy pellet and it has been 12 days and no sprouting. I am thinking I have a seed that didn’t germinate but wanted to get your thoughts before I move forward with a new seed.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum.
Did you soak your seed?

1 Like

@Flitme I did, only for about 1 1/2 hours though. I read mix reviews about needing to soak when planting in a pellet

If you have another, try the paper towel method, it has never failed me. Damp paper towel, folded up and put seed in it, then into a ziplock bag and into a dark cabinet for 48 hrs and check it, should have a nice little tap root coming out, then into a puck.

3 Likes

Yea, thats what I was going to do then read about easy of transplant when using a pellet so changed tactics last minutes. I’ll give the paper towel a go.

I go from paper towel to pellet(puck)

Thanks all. just loaded up a paper towel. Will see how she goes.

Cheers

I had some bad luck with pellets, after switching to a COCO mix I’ve had a 100% germination after soaking for 24hours in water.

3 Likes

I soaked mine for 24hrs then put in paper towel in a small glass dish in a dark cabinet until they crack. Then I put them in a coco pellet thats in the center of a pot full of Fox farms ocean forest. I tried just using the pellets and failed miserably.

1 Like

Same for me

35% success with jiffy pellet
85% with paper towel
Then drop tap root into coco.

3 Likes

I’m also paper towel method.

Either way, I would suggest pre-germinating. I also don’t particularly care for the Peat pellets. Something a little more fluffy like a rapid rooter or coco mix better in my opinion. Just let them crack with a short tail, then poke hole into whatever you’re using 1/2" deep. Use sterile tweezers to place shell down/tail up and lightly cover.

2 Likes

Shell down and tail up huh?

You got it. Keeps them from coming up with shell still on.

5 Likes

Thanks for all the help. 24hrs into paper towel. I’ll let you know how it goes.

Cheers

1 Like

I agree with dbrn I germinate in paper towels then put root facing toplease of soil 2 days later bang I have a seedling

My mom always did paper towel
I never have luck with it
High alpine dessert here
I soaked in water like 2days in dark closet
Then into cloth covered pellet got 7 out of nine

1 Like

Personally I do shell sideways so the friction snags it as it rights itself

1 Like

Thanks all. Paper towel worked seamlessly. Already transplanted into my medium.