Prepping for round two!

I know, I know. My first grow isn’t done yet and I should focus on making sure it finishes as best it can. During the in-between time however, I’m stoked and revving for the next grow! I think I’m going to do two of my Super Skunk Auto’s, and either 1&1 of train wreck and purple haze, or both purple haze. One grow tent, one cabinet, one blurple light and… one homemade LED?? No one knows exactly how it’s gonna go down but one things for sure: I’m aiming to go into this one prepared. The first grow was good to get under the belt with some experience, and this next one I’m going for a (hopefully) great harvest like everyone’s I’ve been reading about on the site!

3 Likes

@dbrn32 I’m sorry for the back and forth on LED’s a few months back, being so new to growing I don’t think I was quite prepped for all the little considerations, and was definitely not sure I wanted to commit as fully to the budget required for a decent LED. Now however, I think I’m ready!

I’ve been following posts by @Momtomask and @blackthumbbetty where you’ve helped them out a lot and they make it look easy! Also from @raustin, whose grow light (want to say the qb288 3000k 130W?) seems great.

I’m hoping to do these autos some justice with good lights… in a 3x3 tent with two autos in (hopefully) autopots, would these be adequate?
https://www.amazon.com/Horticulture-Lighting-Group-Quantum-Boards/dp/B077KHMZTC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1534711136&sr=8-2&keywords=quantum+boards#customerReviews

3 Likes

Also, growing medium - @Screwauger and @Blasting - I’ve been following through your journals and would love to be even a third as successful with my grow as you are. I was thinking of getting an autopot with 2 pots, the 3.9 gal variety. The one thing making me falter is overall budget - @Screwauger, in your Two down, two to grow journal you had quite the comprehensive list of nutes and such… Would it be too much of me to ask what the rough cost of all your initial nutes were?

1 Like

Absolutely!

That is a 4 pack of bare boards. They may come with a little bit of hardware and some wire, but I’ve never ordered the 4 pack so I’m not sure. You would have to find a way to hang them I think. The most common way is to bolt together a few pieces of aluminum angle and construct a frame, then attach the boards to the frame you build.

Then you would need some wire if they don’t come with. A driver, some connectors, and a power cord. Those boards are rated for up to 2100ma without heatsink, so we would pick you out a driver there (hlg-240h-c2100) and you would just have to assemble it all from there.

1 Like

First of all, thanks :smiley: that put a smile right in my face! We use advanced nutrients and Im pretty sure you already know that, but if budget really is the matter Im pretty sure we could figure something out that works in the autopots and a little cheaper then AN. I am in canada so I cant speak prices but Ive been doing alot of research lately to replace AN (unless I figure out that “ph perfect” as they say) and Im pretty sure many other nute company would work as a start to experience the autopot system. I hope that made sense because Im tired as hell and high as hell. :grin: tag me whenever you need any help!

1 Like

Alright! Aluminum angle I think I could come by fairly easily… That amazon was one of the first things I found, so assuming I strung up all four of the panels, with a max load of ~70W that’d yield ~280W.

Given my tent size and number of plants, do you know of a similarly priced or similar wattage kit?

1 Like

Definitely makes sense, yeah! In terms of budget, I was hoping to spend around $75-100 on nutes, would that fall into your AN category, or is it closer to $200 or more?

I’m very very new to the nutes game, thus far I’ve only been doing ph’d water with lemon juice and baking soda and a little nitrogen in my first soil grow. I guess the follow-up question should be whether you think that I should even be pursuing AN, or is there a simpler method of nutes that’d be good for a beginner such as myself? I’d love to figure something out for the autopots!

1 Like

Xw 260 kit is specifically designed for a 3x3. It will be more expensive though. It doesn’t really matter how you look at it, putting in the time to source the parts and assemble yourself will be cheaper.

1 Like

Check eBay for AN nutes. U can get the base nutes for 40$ and a bundle of the micro nutes cheaper as well. I use AN and a few others. The ph perfect or connoisseur lines are both great.

Good luck on your grow

4 Likes

I am thinking you could try the Lukas Formula with General hydropinics Flora micro/flora bloom, or maxigro/maxibloom powder nutes, @Donaldj said good things about them. There is also Remo Nutrients that sells a whole kit of 1L bottles for 120$ CAD wich is under 100$ for you. I think these are good alternatives if you are on a lower budget! I did spend alot of money on AN and now I am looking into replacing them and what I just suggested are nutes I am willing to test in my autopots.

1 Like

Alright! Checked it out, it’s sold out on HLG site. I’m kinda liking the adventure of throwing together something of my own though! So for the 4 qb120 boards, I’d need:

1. a frame
  2. some wire
  3. a way to hang it
  4. driver + power cord (likely hlg-240h-c2100)

Does that sound right?

1 Like

Thanks! When you say base nutes on ebay… would I be looking for growth, bloom, and root nutrients? Apologies for my slowness, it’s a lot of new info!

@Blasting, I like it! I’ll look into Lukas formula and gen. hydroponics, as well as Remo Nutes. Thanks a ton!

Ya, and some connectors if you don’t want them solder.

If you’d rather do a lot, check growerslights. They usually have most of stock.

1 Like

Definitely would rather avoid soldering if I can! I’ll check out growerslights too

1 Like

Yes micro grow bloom 1 liter is 40$ then u can buy any micro nutes u want in bundles as well. Remo is expensive if u want to buy the line not just their hobby pack and I don’t find it to b any better.

1 Like

There’s some waterproof barrel connectors available on Amazon that work real nice to connect driver to power cord. They’re like $6, cord grip may need to be drilled out for hlg-240 cable, but they fit hlg-185 fine. And a couple of wago connectors work well for connecting driver to leds. It’s the same stuff that would be included with the kits.

2 Likes

I’d drop in and take a look at @Aolelon’s grow. He’s using megacrop, it’s a part that is getting a lot of buzz in the canna industry. Sounds like may need a couple of supplements, but pretty cheap per feeding overall.

2 Likes

Here is the label for Megacrop. I’ve heard of people using just Megacrop and seeing great results. They will send you a 230g sample if you just pay shipping

5 Likes

Remo Nutes are doing quite well for me and Maxi series is a good cheap alternative

4 Likes

@sweet_quiche

I’m with @Blasting on the modified lucas formula.
I used it on my first grow and it’s the least expensive grow I’ve had
It’s a simple nutrient plan and is a good starting place for new growers.
I may head back to that formula if I cont having plant issues during my grows, I had none with that method.

As for Autopots, just stay away from the easy to grow set up with the two pots connected, no good for marijuana.

I can tally up my nute expense but I assure you, it was over $100 for the base nutes, calmag and supplements. Not that I used them all in one grow but…

2 Likes