Prepping for and first time grow

Hey @Syndrix forgot to mention.
I don’t know if you ended up getting those timers or not but I found out last night you can set multiple on/off times per day.

There’s a shared bathroom attached to that bedroom that she uses a lot at night and she complained that the exhaust fan made her head hurt in the middle of the night when she heard it.
It’s no louder than a bathroom exhaust fan but I didn’t question and just set it to run 30 minutes longer than the lights and come on 30 minutes before since her head hurt.
I know, ridiculous, but this is the same woman who SWEARS she can feel a 1% difference in humidity! She can’t! But you pick your battles so…

At any rate my temps are good during lights off but the humidity spikes waaaay high. So I decided to extend the period after lights out. When I got the little instruction sheet out and was refreshing on how to set the timer I noticed a little box to the side, don’t know how I missed it before, but at any rate it’s instructions for setting up multiple times on/off.
So I set it up for daylight from 530am till 1230am, then it goes off. Comes back on at 2am and runs to 230am, then again at 4-430am.
I might have adjust it further or maybe order the 6" Infinity and see it it’s more quiet than the Spider Farmer. I’ve read SF is pretty loud by comparison.

Typical night pre multi-times:

With multi-times:

Still have those peaks and valleys but it’s better IMHO.

Just a little heads up if you don’t want to run them all night too.

Now I gotta try to convince the woman to let me get a English Mastiff puppy!
I really want a Dogo Argentino, or Argentinian Mastiff, but the English ones are nice too.
IDK, he’s cute, but I really want that white one.
A neighbor has one, and even though he’s not my dog we have a GREAT relationship - centered around food LOL!
I was on the porch with him when he visited on Wednesday and the Fed Ex guy showed up. He was gonna eat that guy up because he was approaching the house! i called him back and he had this puppy dog look on his face - I couldn’t be mad! LOL!

:heart:

3 Likes

Well, I’m not sure what is going on with these plants. Maybe I have been looking at them too often, they don’t look like they have grown to me lol, the stalks look thicker though. Maybe it is just the new large pots make it look that way. I have not done anything since I transplanted them and watered them right after . That was Wed the 14th… so I need to water them then. they are not looking great today, maybe because they are thirsty? One of them is showing dark green/light green splotches?

Well I am going to go water them and then come back and respond to others and continue my post, going to go ph my water and give it to them.

Happy Frog soil - a couple of mine look exactly the same.
And we’re growing different strains, so it’s gotta be the soil.
Not saying it’s bad - but maybe it’s too good? LOL!

they’ll be fine.

Been reading and watching vids on LST, topping and FIMming - with my photos I can keep topping and doing whatever I want until I switch to 12/12.
With autos I understand it’s early and not often because of the short grow period. Many auto guys don’t recommend it at all, others say a FIM early on is fine.
So, just like everything else, there is no consensus - except if you’re gonna do it, do it early.

HGE!

EDIT: My LST clips have shipped and I ordered 2 pole fan mounts from same cat.
They were more than I paid for the fans!
Etsy shipping is outrageous! I could fly to Montreal and pick it up almost as cheaply!

Come on clips come on!

I gotta rotate that big skunk to the corner of the tent for a bit. I’m trying to gently lay her daown and brig those lower shoots out into the direct light and start lst.
They’re all getting so bushy! YUM!

I raised the lights Friday night just before the dark period.
I’m really wondering if I should cull some of those giant fans up top to allow for more light penetration?
Was thinking about doing some lite snips on 1 of each and see how they respond. I think it’d really speed up development of the shoots.
Decisions, decisions…

getting ready to mix water for the outside girls.
I’m going to treated tap and CalMag for them. Gonna mix 2 5gal buckets and give each at least 2.5gal.
Not supposed to break 90 today, but at 89 it’s a good chance we will.
What is this? Day 5 or 6 in a row? Lost track…

HGE!

1 Like

Yeah I think your right with the splotches, the soil is just “hot” with food for them.

When I watered them today I just gave them ph tap water, they seem happy

I checked my light ppfd today, was up at 700, maybe I messed up when I moved it and reset it during transplant? anyway I turned it back down to 450-500 so maybe that will help some as well.

My garden wire came in, so I can do some LST if I want, still thinking about topping two of them just to see. I ordered some small shears to be able to trim the plant/leaves that want to, if any, not sure if I can bring myself to cut them lol

I’ll check on them in a few hours and see how they are doing.

so it looks like if I am going to fim/top I need to do it now… do I have this right? these are gorilla glue auto

Yup
Clean your tool with alcohol before the chop!
Seems fim is more popular than top on auto due to less recovery time.
There’s a bunch of YouTube videos on it.

Good Luck!

HGE!

1 Like

Uh oh am I in flowing? This is one of my girls.

1 Like

They definitely look like female flowers to me.
I know that sometimes plats exhibit “pre-flowers” but I’ll be honest, I’m not exactly sure if it’s good, bad, or otherwise.
If they keep growing and don’t totally go into flower I would assume good, since you know for sure you’re growing a female. That’s a plus, but obviously if she sets into budding now that’s not good since we want quantity as well as quality.
I’m gonna have to defer…

I don’t have that, but I am getting quite a fragrance now when I try to pull the lower branches outward and tuck some fans!
I haven’t smelled my fingers so much since Jr. High! LOL!

HGE!

EDIT: Zoom - D’oh! DEFINITELY female flowers!

1 Like

well three of them are showing female flowering pistils now. I noticed the second one and then while LST two of them, I noticed the third.

I do plan on putting in the scrog net at some point, not sure when I should.

I did some lst to 2 of them this morning. I may still fim one or two, shears should be here today. Not sure I want to fim or top them though if they are showing pistils? This might end up just being an lst/scrog only run

I might go ahead and tie down the other two as well, I need to use all this tent space as much as possible and it seems bending them a bit now will greatly increase flexibility and options later.

1 Like

Looking good Bro!
Yesterday was a busy day and I didn’t get too much time with the ladies. But in one of my 3 trips to Lowes - was working on another project - I did get some good coated wire for my lst.
TBH, I’m not sure how much I can do now, these stems are THICK!!
I might be stuck just lst-ing the copious amount of side shoots. LOL!
I haven’t even looked at them yet this morning - they could all be dead LOL!

I was watching a cat’s YouTube channel Saturday evening, and he gave me the best idea I’ve ever gotten.
He’s in the same tent I have and every time he starts a grow he starts 4 photos and 1 auto. He doesn’t touch the auto - just lets it do it’s thing, and treats the photos as normal, top, FIM. lst - whatever.
By the time he’s getting ready to install the scrog for the photos, the auto is into flower and almost done.
Works the scrog on one side of the tent towards the auto. By the time he needs the space for the photo scrog, the auto is done and he pulls it out. Then he has some curing up and getting smokeable while he finishes the photo grow.
I was like - GENIUS!
I’m totally ordering some auto seeds before next run!

HGE!!

well I LST 3 and 4 this morning, they took to it really well when I checked on them about an hour ago, very pretty new green growth. SO I messed with 3 and 4 some more and got them a bit better and started on plant 1 and 2, plant 2 is very small and has not grown much since transplant. Here are all 4 of them, I tried to take these pictures from the direction of the light so that you can see what the light is getting to.

I took my wire cutters and made a small crease in the fabric pot and cut a small slit for the wire to go through, I would then make a hook on the end of my small piece of wire and feed it through the pot and get the hook to grab what I wanted… made it pretty simple

@Tylersays OMG your plants are getting so big!!! Sorry it has taken me so long to respond to you, been busy as well.
I think I should have transplanted earlier to prevent stunting them tbh, next time I will either do it earlier or just start in the 5 gallon tbh, because the root structure was on the outside of the dirt in the solo cup so much I think putting it in fresh happy frog soil is to much for it and shocks it. This is just my guess. Photos get time to recover so it doesn’t matter as much. I’m worried about my one real little one.

I didn’t get the same timers as you, I got the cheap mechanical ones that have the built in switches for every 15 minutes I think. I set my exhaust fan to run constant at speed 2 so I always have air circulation, but looking at my govee thing I am still getting RH spikes at n ight when the light is out… I could have the small 6 inch fan kick on a few times through the night to move some air around, maybe that would help… but I am not sure since the exhaust is constantly going…

smart man, pick your battles, yes I do know lmao

That is a very pretty dog, I want a dog but still don’t feel like I am ready for one yet another level of responsibility I’m not ready for lol

My tiny shears came in today, but I couldn’t bring myself to cut one lol oh well, maybe next grow

I think I am going to keep the 4 pots in the center of my tent and just keep pushing the main cola to the respective corner and hopefully that will fill out my scrog net well

The wire seems a bit to strong for current application of LST, I might try thinner wire ties next, like bread bag type

Hope everyone is doing well!

I didn’t do crap in there today!
Just one of those days where there wasn’t near enough hours in the day.
Was running all day and told myself this evening, then this evening came and a buddy texted about some new party favors he had gotten. I ended up going over there and trying his goodies while he tried some of mine!
I’m calling it a draw!

At any rate - still waiting for the LST clips, but I’m starting to wire them up tomorrow morning, I swear!
I got a heavy gauge wire too, but these stems are THICK now!
I totally dig the way you pulled the fans back too! I’ve not seen that before but duh - makes so much sense since those are the sugar factories that support the growth.
I’m gonna see what I can do but I might end up loosing a couple per plant.

My discoloration is limited to one plant now - oddly enough, the tallest one. And I’ll have to look back at my photos but I’m almost positive that plant was the runt of all the seeds I started that round.
I raised the lights and didn’t touch the intensity to encourage vertical growth.

Went to Walnutz finally and got a couple of composition books to keep my written journal in. It was like 2 for $1!
They weren’t that cheap when I was in school!
Supposedly my clips are in the mail and my fan mounts are supposed to ship tomorrow or the next.
I way overpaid for that stuff so I hope it’s worth it! LOL!

You’re probably right not clipping this go - the autos really don’t have a long lifecycle I’m discovering. I’d just keep bending and getting those side-shoots out to the light as much as possible. Those are your future “main” colas.

I’ve already got 3 cats - 1 I voluntarily adopted, 1 my sisters Honda gave birth to one morning - conveniently a mile from MY house, not hers! And 1 that showed up on my porch and stayed. He actually just moved into the house, he’s been a porch dweller for over a year.
Our last dogs died a week apart 6 years ago. They were bonded, but not siblings.
I really want 2!
Anyway, after the stand off with the FedEx guy I got to thinking…this is what I need on the deck during bud! LOL!
If I have signage, and you still trespass and my dog goes to your ass - that’s your problem! I know my rights, and I’m pretty sure my lawyer does too! Mainly because he’s my cousin! LOL!

Tomorrow will be “after” photos - I swear!

HTH did that end up vertical? LOL

BTW - you planning for your vacation? Have you decided what to do?

Happy Growing Everyone!!

2 Likes

They are fighting the LST, here is them this morning,

and here is them after our bondage time this morning

I gave them a little water this morning, 300ml each, this is just to last them until I give them a very heavy watering before I leave town

OK - I’m a wuss! I admit it! But I can’t bring myself to bend these girls.
I think I waited too long at this point. The main stems are just too well established and strong. I ph’ed some tap water - 4gal in my bucket, at 6.25. Would have liked a little higher but it’s in the range so I let it fly. PPM was 55, but does PPM come into play when just giving water and no nutes? Need to inquire about that… @OldSkool , @MadamCalamity , @dbrn32 .
Slowly gave each 1 gal of the water. I do have RO but of course, someone had something else that just HAD to get done at that moment so I got pulled off my task.
I’m taking a quick smoke break and am going back to collect the RO and get my figures - for my new composition book!

I did snip a few light blockers - there was no where to tuck them! Too many branches! - Never enough actually, but I’m thrilled with the performance of the ILGM genetics.

Hopefully my clips will arrive this week and I can lst that way. If not by Friday I’m gonna have to start on the branches with my wire Gotta get that Calamity Canopy!!

Can you even tell a difference? LOL

BTW - lost my logs for last night, apparently my hygrometer wasn’t stable and fell as I closed the tent last night and popped the batter cover.
I tapped a small nail into my scrog board and hung it there just above the canopy, better place anyway and maybe it’ll help my BT range.

Time to do some finishing up in the tent!

Happy Growing Everyone!

2 Likes

They are in different spots in the second photo since I moved the tallest Super Skunk into the right front corner.
That NYD front left really took to the FIM.
All the trim is from the Skunks.

@Tylersays
When watering you just need the ppms in a good enough range so when you take your reading for ph you know it’s accurate. Most people go between 150-200 for ppm. I usually aim for 200 for good measure.

1 Like

I didn’t CalMag this water, I guess I should stick to using it since that will get the PPMs up.
I just wasn’t sure so I thought I’d ask and I know Syndrix will appreciate the info too.
Just 2 Virginia boys new to growing!

Thanks!!

1 Like

Yup! When using RO or distilled you gotta use the cal mag every time.You have to remember that it’s nothing but pure water and you have to make up for the lack of minerals that are not in the water since there is nothing to it.
Glad I was able to help. Your girls are looking great!

2 Likes