Prepping for and first time grow

Looking good man!
As mentioned, part of what you’re seeing is the hull, as the leaves spread and flatten out it should fall off. If not gently pry if off with a toothpick or something.
Also, the plant just sprouted and is just seeing light for the first time. Light makes the plant grow and after it gets to going good the color should green up quickly.

Watch that water looks plenty damp. Remember the 2 most important things for a plants roots are water and oxygen. Too much water leaves no room for oxygen. Over-watering will kill quicker than under-watering at this stage.

Spider Farmer recommends 25"-30" at 50% for seedlings.

When I transplanted it put the top of the plants 22" below the lights, which is in the range suggested for veg. I did bump the knob about 5% up.
I’m gonna give them a few days to get over the transplant shock then drop it another inch or two. After I see what the plants do I’ll consider either dropping or boosting the output of the light.

They looked good this morning and seem to be liking their new digs.
I’m hoping for some vigorous growth when them roots start eating into the FFHF.

I gotta move my outside babies back outside. Rain has passed so I don’t have to worry about it cleaning out my soil.

You’re what they call a farmer now!
Hope your other girls arrive at the party soon!

Happy Growing Everyone!

Mid day update, she is opening looking good, temps were staying low so I was finally able to use the dimmer and I turned it up top about 30% I’m about 24 inches above, temp holding steady 76-78

I didn’t water or anything, just checking on them and taking pictures.

Late day update, she has completely opened up now, and seed number 2 has grown a sprout! So here are my two first children lmao I hope I wake up tomorrow to more, fingers crossed I need two more.

yeah the dirt did get really wet, before I was water just the top lightly and the lights kept drying it out super quick, so I got all the dirt wet just a little right before I planted all 5 in the cups together , I probably won’t water again until i see the dirt dry out tbh, because I also moved the light a bit further away it is going to take a bit to get it to dry back out.

Do you have a chart for what spider farmer recommends and when for the sf-2000 light distance? I bet I could follow it pretty closely if there is one.

Thanks everyone again for all the help and advice I would have never made it this far without you.

1 Like

Morning update, the two girls are doing well. nothing still from the other three, dirt still looks wet so no watering. temp still good 76-78, I do want to get nicer temp/humidity that I can see time graph like what tyler has, still running light 24hrs, trying to get 2 of the others to grow. I’ll probably switch light to 18/6 on monday or tuesday. I will also probably investigate any non grown seed at that time as well.

Still waiting on my ph up/down to arrive, ordered and on the way, small clip on fan, fox farm trio 32 oz fertz. net, pot holders, 5 gallon pots also got here, but I’m not going to rush to replant these yet, but those 2 plants I have are in the pretty short clear cups inside solo cups, so I don’t think they need to stay there more than 2 weeks max?

Well time to go read around and see what I can learn today.

Hope everyone has a great weekend and successful grows !

1 Like

Mid day update, I have triplets :heart_eyes:

and here are the other two

I’m slightly impressed I’ve made it this far, now I just have to not kill them, fingers crossed

2 Likes

Skippyisnohippy, clear cups, is not good, reason why roots! You want to damage roots, that’s how you do it. Fried mine, oh many grows ago. Also in dwc, never white buckets that’s why they painted black, or covered up for no light penetration. Hope that helps you, good luck with your grow

1 Like

Syndrix, nice getting a jumpstart, great looks good, your light is Dimmable I assume to 35% @ 24” away from the cups, 75-77 temp works great for me. Hope this helps you, good luck with your grow. Btw, the brown cap, it’s just a helmet, sometimes it needs help getting off, I recommend tweezers and a steady hand if you have to help shed the helmet

1 Like

@Syndrix looking good man! One more to go!
Those stems are looking pretty strong and sturdy.
Ahhh…triplets…3 times the trouble! LOL!
My Super Skunk took like 3-5 days to break soil. And when it came time to let the girls fly I kept the runt. She has filled out and was matching if not surpassing some of the early sprouters! So don’t give up on them just yet.
You’re doing great man - watch that water - and keep reading! I’ve read more in the last month or two than I’ve read in the last year!

For some reason I’m getting “clawing” in the upper leaves. I looked it up and it says nitrogen toxicity, but they haven’t been fed anything other than one dose of CalMag. I’m wondering if it has to do with the roots getting out of the starter soil and into the HF and it’s nutrients?
I gave them each about half gallon of distilled water today because I didn’t feel like the soil was quite damp enough. Roots have to have a reason to expand into an area or they won’t, I’m learning.
Of course a half an hour later the humidity was off the top of the charts! But it’ll settle back down soon enough.

I felt like I was planting them deeper than I actually did or should have.

The outside girls are chugging along.
The new transplants(NYD) are doing well and the older girls(GDP) are doing really well. The little plant obviously won’t produce much but I couldn’t bring myself to yank her LOL!
Plus somehow 2 GDP ended up growing behind my moms shed! LOL!

The big girl is getting close to 2ft tall! I think a deer checked her out and passed for some reason. There were definite tracks near that side of the deck. Next time I trim my facial hair I’m gonna dump the trimmings on the ground in that area. :crossed_fingers:
I will be having venison if anything happens to my girl! LOL!

Happy Fourth and Happy Growing Everyone!

3 Likes

Dude, yeah, this little thermometer/hygrometer is cool.
I do wish the bluetooth range was better, and maybe it’ll get better as it and the canopy rises.
Can’t believe wifi isn’t commonplace at this point though.
I don’t think I can export but I haven’t looked at the file types or anything at this point to be honest, so maybe there’s a way.

Here’s a screen shot.

It’s interesting to see the correlation between temp and humidity.
You can scroll it back and forth and look at the long term very easily.

Happy Growing Everyone!

2 Likes

Welcome to ILGM!!! …you are offf to a good start… you found this place!!! …everyone here is pretty great its refreshing to find a solid community without all the toxicity. Im way late to the party, by now everyone has told you what you need so i wont share my thoughts on that but i will say I like to think of my entire grow like one big long chain and its important to check each link of that chain regularly for defects and anything that could weaken the chain as a whole. Problems will arise and it helps if its not because of something that could have been easily prevented. Happy 4th!! …will follow!

2 Likes

morning update, looks like they have all come through now lmao, so I’m one heavy, guess I need to contact a friend/family member soon lol. I decided to switch the light over to 18/6 so they will get first dark tonight, still not watering, seems moist and heavy still, I also still don’t have ph up/down

OldSkool, thanks for the info

Tyler, I found some temp,humidity sensors, with local wifi connection just to phone not internet start around 45$ and it looks like around 85$ you can get wifi internet world wide check features, I’m going to have to do some research on what is out there and features available.

I need to look into calmag, I am seeing it recommended a lot on transplants
Your plants are looking great

Nodurxshn, Thanks, I do think I have a decent start going but feel free to recommend stuff or explain things if you want. I’ll keep checking my chain links, but I am pulling the chain from a black void so I have no idea what to expect next lmao… I need to start reading ahead now that I have made it this far.

I also need to do more research on the ph and ppm meters and make sure I use them how and when I should.

HAPPY 4th EVERYONE!

The leaves are pretty dark green on the two together

1 Like

Mid day update, one of the girls left the house today and went with a friend, I’m down to 4 :cry: but it is for the best for me and my situation.

My ph up/down did come in the mail yesterday and I didn’t know it, so I finally checked and adjust my distilled gallon of water, from 8.0 down to 6.4 and then I filled up my spray bottle that I will be using for watering.

I think my plants are getting really close to needing water, so later today or tomorrow for sure. I would like some input, advice quickly if possible, Plants 1 and 2, they are in very short clear cups, placed inside solo cups, the roots are already making it out of the clear cup on one and not far behind on the other, should I go ahead and transplant to red solo cup for larger space or final 5 gal pot? I would like to do this when I water it. pictures below for reference

Hope everyone is having a great day!.

1 Like

Just my uneducated .02 but I don’t think I would quite yet. Transplanting, even if done carefully, impacts the plant and I don’t think the roots are developed enough yet. The tap root, which is probably what you’re seeing, grows pretty fast and then the side roots start to develop more slowly. You don’t want to disturb any little micro-hair sized roots before they get developed.
I guess that’s a downside to using the smaller cups in the beginning.

Everything is looking good man.
I kept 2 little girls in reserve in case one took a turn after transplant, so now…moms house or accidentally dropped a seed behind the shed here? LOL

Happy 4th and Growing Everyone!

1 Like

Do you think you could carefully clip away the bottom of the clear cup then sit it in a red cup with soil up to that level? That hard plastic is pretty unpredictable though.

Just popped into my head while I was watching YouTube vids about growing instead of going to bed lol

HGE!

well I may have messed up this morning, decided to move those two into red solo cups, was not my finest moment lol, The dirt was dry I took wire cutters and cut/broke the small plastic cups in order to try and keep the dirt and roots together. the dry dirt fell away very quickly as there was not enough root to hold it all together. Both plants root structure did seem to stay together though, the main root on both plants was already longer than the plant above the surface entirely.

I originally took the solo cups and filled them with enough dirt to place the clear cup on top and be happy with the soil level so that I knew I had as much as I wanted, after I pulled the plant from the old clear cup though and the dirt fell away and I was left with exposed root structure much longer than expected, this idea fell apart quickly. I then filled the red solo cup close to the soil level I wanted I then took my finger and made a deep skinny hole for the root system, after placing the plant near the level i wanted I moved some dirt around and got it to hold the plant in place, after I watered and replaced them. I wish I would have gotten picture of the root structure, it was cool looking.

One of the plants isn’t standing up straight, but it is held in place and should straighten up quickly, I hope, This was a good learning exp, not going to start in that small or clear of a cup ever again lmao
The two that got transplanted today are on the left, the back on is laying over some

Syndrix, no no no! You will possibly kill it at first touch since it’s not developed the root growth. Also, I think I mentioned this before, no clear containers! Why infrared light or natural sunlight or full spectrum white will burn or kill the roots before growth even before it starts. is what I have learned by putting plants or seedlings in clear containers. It may look good at first and then all of a sudden it’ll turn for the worst. Roots got warm and slimy, just FYI. Hope that helps you, good luck with your grow

HELP!!!

WTH is going on here?
My inside girls are taking a nose dive after transplant.
I’ve looked all through the symptom checker and one problem is different problems all show up the same way in the plant! Is it deficiency or toxicity? Over-watering or under? Many times the result is the same looking on the plant.

Here they are up close.

New York City Diesel above.
Super Skunk below.

The GDP is suffering too but something needed to happen with these girls like 4 days ago.

They were transplanted on July 1st into 4gal plastic pots, brand new, with Happy Frog soil. Each was given a liter of distilled water in the prescribed circle. The evening of the 3rd they were each given about a half gallon of distilled water because they seemed pretty dry. A liter isn’t much.
Spider Farmer SF-2000/SF-1000 combo at 22" above canopy at 60%. They will be a month old Friday.

AAAARRRRGGGG! This sucks!

The back-ups are doing great!

New York City Diesel above.
Granddaddy Purple below.

The big girl is filling out nicely!
But the little girl is having yet another issue, although it doesn’t really seem to be affecting it much if at all, to be honest.
See the “bleached out” spots on some leaves?
It doesn’t seem like any bugs or anything on the spots and it doesn’t seem like a powdery mold or mildew type thing either. I have moved her away from the others just in case.

All kinds of learning happening over here if I can just get pointed in the right direction.
Any help I can get is greatly appreciated guys!

@OldSkool @nodurxshn @skippyisnohippy @dirtydave @Covertgrower @anon86641082

3 Likes

at a glance looks like youre using perlite which has a high alkaline pH and might be responsible maybe try switching to vermiculite instead, all in all they look healthy im thinkin your “Bleached out” spots are either perspiration, condensation but most likely some feed water got splashed/dripped on the leaf and dried because it almost looks like trace spots similar in color around the “splash zone”. what i always try to do is look for persistence…if an issue gets worse its time for action but sometimes just monitoring the isssue closely is a good start

1 Like

@Tylersays , I am one of the least experienced people at growing this plant here, my first grow. Those clawing leaves look like a reaction to being transplanted into that FF soil, which I have read is very “hot” as far as soils go. If I remember correctly you are in Virginia (like me) and if those things just got moved into the July sun might have exasperated things.

3 Likes

Thanks for the quick reply!
I’m quickly discovering that marijuana grow tips are like Amazon reviews - you’re never gonna get a consensus! You are correct, perlite was added to the Happy Frog on recommendation. Of course, some will say you need it and others will say no. And you read about the importance of drainage so you figure “What could it hurt?”
Well, now I know. LOL

It is quite possible the spots are from nutes. They got dosed Saturday and I can’t say I noticed the spots until Sunday, but Saturday was busy. In and out all day so not much interaction with the girls.
That little girl has been through hell and struggled since the start. I should have just wrote her off as a loss and used another plant, but every time I made up my mind to do it I thought I saw improvement, so we just limped along.
Don’t the Buddhist say something like “the most abused seedling will produce the most beautiful poppy”.
If that’s the case she’ll produce the world dankest bud! LOL!

Thanks Again man!

And if you kick me out for co-opting your thread Syndrix I totally understand. :rofl:

2 Likes

yah i got confused im scrolling up looking to see what you put in with your medium and i started noticing this journal been hijacked!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like