Preparing for Ohio Legalization, narrowed down to Cmh, or Qb roughly 3x3 to 4x4 grow space

Just thought i would put up the two new models, what about this one @DoobieNoobie

The SSK-550 Kit LED Lamp

will replace a single-ended 1000W HID while only drawing 480watts at the wall and delivering nearly 1200 umol/s with an efficacy of 2.53 umol/j.

TSlot rail mount package allows for

Re positioning of boards

Adding more Skins by just adding more rail

Reduces shipping cost

Features

High-efficiency custom-designed white light metal core boards with Samsung LM301B diodes

3000K and 4000k white-light full spectrum for optimal canopy penetration

2 Likes

Do you have a components list? Where did you obtain the strips?

1 Like

Arrow electronics is where I would go. Quantity discount 25 or more is down to $11, and there is 10% code for new customers

1 Like

Each light consists of 8 SI-B8U261560WW Samsung strips. 1 hlg-185h-c1050b, 8 .61" heatsinks from heatsinkusa 23" long. And 2x 1/2" x 18 inch u channel. Plus 1 1/2"x23" piece of U channel in the center to mount the driver. The U channel I buy 8’ long pieces from grainger and cut to size. The heatsink are connected with 1/2" long self tapping screws. The strips are mounted using double sided thermal tape. And you’ll need a small spool of 300 volt solid core 18 gauge wire. Plus wago connectors for the wiring. I use 9’ tool replacement power cords found on Amazon for about $3 for power cord. If any other details are needed just ask. The big key to price is ordering in bulk. 25 strips gives the best discount from arrow on strips. I order 26 make 3 big lights and 1 small 50 watt light with the extra 2 built the same as the big ones just a smaller driver.

4 Likes

Thanx for the details!

2 Likes

No problem and like I said I’m here to help with more pics and step by step even if needed. Oh I did forget to add I use cased potentiometers from rapid led for dimming.

1 Like

Those have some nice efficiencies for 2017 strips. And it makes it much easier to spread the light across more space.
Data sheet link: https://static6.arrow.com/aropdfconversion/2b54d5326bc5bdd51048aed13ae69d3dc55ced38/f-series_gen3_rev0.0_2017-01-05.pdf

2 Likes

It’s the same diodes used in the v1 quantum boards. And running them at the level they’re on in my setup they stay pretty cool with the spread. I can say in my 5x4 room 3 of them on full power was almost a bit too much light. But light spread was perfect and penetration was excellent.

3 Likes

@dbrn32 So by my math ~4.5 of these strips equals 1x288V2 or ~19800lms

So for a 5x5 you would need ~28/29 of these strips and the associated power supplies (783 total W. Constant current @1050mA)

@DoobieNoobie but you ran 9 strips off a 185? Wouldn’t that be Watt limited for the draw @27W each? How much watts do 9 pull actual?

1 Like

That’s $329 for the strips, ~$180 for PS and ~$50 for everything else. $560 for a 5x5. Amazing!

3 Likes

No I ran 8 strips. 9 is to many for that driver.

1 Like

You forgot heatsinks which was $70 I think for 26 of them. But still cheaper than any other light of that quality.

2 Likes

Interesting build article here. They hook them in parallel with a 48A constant voltage PS. (This doesn’t make sense to me because they are rated for 24.2 max V? @dbrn32)

1 Like

Wouldn’t U channel aluminum be enough as a heatsink? I used 1/8” aluminum for my QB304’s and it was enough.

1 Like

It might be. But it works out to almost the same price only a few dollars difference so in my opinion I’d rather pay $20 or so more to get more efficient heat dispersion.

2 Likes

Agree. I’m cheap.:smile:

2 Likes

I am not dissatisfied with my 304’s but I wish I knew about these. I definitely get some hot spots with the QB’s I wish I could have avoided.

1 Like

You guys definitely on right path.

@WickedAle there are several build models there. I believe the 48v cv/cc driver build is using the double row f-series strips.

I’ve never ran the numbers on matching qb’s. But I believe running the single row f-series at 1050ma is about same efficacy as running v1 QB-288 at 2100ma. If you hold efficacy, 200 watts of strips would be equal to 200 watts of qb’s.

2 Likes

They’re definitely better in that aspect. You can custom shape them to fit your space. Which is what I did.

3 Likes

You can probably come up with low cost solution for that. Add some strips to where you need coverage at maybe a little lower power level than typical, and then dim your qb’s some.

The strips and the qb’s would both run a little more efficient that way, and you can hold or increase your intensity levels with similar or less power. You would also balance out your canopy intensity.

3 Likes