Preparing for Ohio Legalization, narrowed down to Cmh, or Qb roughly 3x3 to 4x4 grow space

I cannot grow here yet, but I am familiar with SOG… I been around awhile seen a few things over the years… Nice clean setup… I guess I am a little lucky as I can follow you guys and gals around and plan my setup accordingly…

1 Like

That is the plan… The only way it might change is I am saving for the second board so I can start w x-2. No hurry here but have side work coming. Is if you come up w a better option or you seen a sale or steal that I better jump on… So keep a brother aprised. I seen a couple boards that made me drool…

1 Like

P.s. Is their a section for growing veggies until we get it together in Ohio? Cannot wait to grow my own smoke…

1 Like

If you’re not opposed to building from scratch, you could maybe replicate a @DoobieNoobie build and save some cash.

That uses Samsung f series strips, exactly same LEDs that are used in v1 quantum boards. Following his model you would build 4 fixtures using meanwell hlg-185h-c1050a drivers and 8 of the single row 560mm f-series gen3 strips per fixture. If you buy right, maybe $200ish per fixture.

3 Likes

Hmmmm I would need x-4 fixtures? I will go check out his post…would that be like 800.00 though?

1 Like

It’s been a little while, but sounds right. I’m sure doob will comment when he sees the tag.

You would be heavily dependent on arrow electronics having parts in stock to be priced in that area. They currently have 10% discount for new customers and ship overnight for free. And there’s a quantity discount for ordering 25 strips or more. So like $350 for strips, $180 for drivers, roughly $80 for heatsinks. That should be shipped but not include tax, should there be any.

You would still need some hookup wire, aluminum angle, thermal transfer tape, power cords, connectors, and some hardware. But I don’t see any reason you would spend more than $200 on that stuff, probably less.

1 Like

What really makes that deal is ordering all your strips at once. The price per unit is like $16. But if you ordered all 32 of them at same time drops to almost $11 per strip. As long as 10% discount applies its nearly $10 per strip and $42 per driver.

2 Likes

Do you have a link to @doobienoobie build? I’d like to read. Thx

2 Likes

I don’t know that he has a thread dedicated to just the build. But the light has been posted several times. He has a few of those fixtures actually

1 Like

Ditto… Man those auto plants r something else… Sorry been reading allot, Allot! Want! Gonna keep reading and following like stated earlier have some cash now and side work next week… Let me stack it up… Might be able to get it together pretty quick. Girl wants to go ahead and do veggies and some mini lemon, nectarine trees etc… So dimmable…

2 Likes

“buying kits”
but, what is the absolute best for a 5x5.?
is QB even gonna be the answer.?
i m asking u out of respect of your knowledge,
like i said, a 5x5 and HLG QB kits just never seem to match up…???

I wouldn’t say the best. But I don’t think OP asked for the best. Not going to get there on a $400 budget, not even at $800.

We presented an alternative to going with qb kits that would provide a little better coverage and be cheaper. I wouldn’t really discount the ability of the kits though. We dropped 8 in a 10x10 room and performed pretty damn well. That’s about 20 watts per square foot. This particular grower moved from 50 watts per square foot with hps, and was more than ecstatic about the results.

1 Like

I didn’t do a build thread so to speak. It was on a older grow thread of mine that doesn’t exist anymore. But I’ve got pictures. And yes they come out to just under $200 each panel. Each one is around 200 watts.
Heres a pic to get an idea. I can add more detailed ones if necessary. I’ve built 6 of them now.

@thumper here ya go

6 Likes

Thanks for posting!

1 Like

Anytime buddy!

1 Like

The Solskin can provide the perfect symmetric light for small or commercial grow areas, This is a 4up kit modelled on our 4×4 Perfect Layout design, beautiful blended light with less that 5% PPFD difference from centre to edge based on 18″ height to canopy. This 4×4 Single Channel Kit is perfect for 4×4 Flower and 5×5 Veg Footprint

1 Like

I couldn’t help but notice your buddy has at least one too lol.

@Hungrybud, that’s a nice piece of equipment right there.

2 Likes

Just thought i would put up the two new models, what about this one @DoobieNoobie

The SSK-550 Kit LED Lamp

will replace a single-ended 1000W HID while only drawing 480watts at the wall and delivering nearly 1200 umol/s with an efficacy of 2.53 umol/j.

TSlot rail mount package allows for

Re positioning of boards

Adding more Skins by just adding more rail

Reduces shipping cost

Features

High-efficiency custom-designed white light metal core boards with Samsung LM301B diodes

3000K and 4000k white-light full spectrum for optimal canopy penetration

2 Likes

Do you have a components list? Where did you obtain the strips?

1 Like

Arrow electronics is where I would go. Quantity discount 25 or more is down to $11, and there is 10% code for new customers

1 Like