Pre-sex fertility?

Started from seed, now on week 4. Lighting remains at 18/6, plants at 4-6 node stage. A few males have started to show pre-sex pollen sacs (as in the past day)… one female started to show filaments today. Are these pre-sex indicators actually fertile, or (as literature suggests) do I have time yet before I go 12/12, and then they develop into sexually mature/pollen-producing/receiving plants? Do I kick the males out immediately or can I wait a week and have just one destruction day? Thx.

2 Likes

Kick out the boys, and let the girls veg.

EDIT: And welcome to the community. Happy growing!

6 Likes

I’m with @Newt Unless you are wanting to produce seeds . Toss the male plants.

5 Likes

Get rid of the boys!!

4 Likes

Welcome to the community. If you want your girls to be violated keep the male in. If not, get it out ASAP before any flowers open.

So it you want seeds they will need 8 weeks to mature on the plant so they are viable. :+1:

3 Likes

Yeah those young boys might have a premature pollination.

4 Likes

This is great, thanks, I’ll shred the males… but do I flip my lights now or can I wait and make them a bit bigger? They are maybe 8" tall, many are shorter.

For the girls, assuming they are photo period plants, you can veg them as long as you want to veg them. I plan my flip based on plant size, and knowing that they will (roughly) double in height after the flip.

2 Likes

Newt, so even though they are short, showing their gender, I can leave lights as they are until they are a bit bigger… then flip them? Shall I nip the SAM now as well?

I like longer veg myself. This first sog i am doing is smallest i have ever flipped. 2 gal. I love the way it works. Next sog ill go to 5 gal. I like big plants. All about preference/grow space/ yield requirements/ light capacity for me. The light rails i just upgraded really help. No hotspots.

1 Like

You can veg a photoperiod as long as you like. I’ve got a couple going on about 3 months now. I’m scared to flower them because I don’t have a 10x10 room to unleash them in, but I’m sure it’ll all work out in the end. :rofl:

1 Like

You can leave them on 18/6 for literally years. Grow them as big as you have room for.

2 Likes

This clone mother (back right) has been in veg since 7/16/21 (I trim my mothers regularly to keep them small) :

2 Likes

Not easy to grow Sensi with boys around

1 Like

Great advises already to help you out. Welcome to the community

Happy growing

1 Like

Are you sure these photo period plants? 4 weeks and showing preflower sounds like autos to me.

If they are auto, this is unnecessary.

1 Like