Pre-mixing fertilizer?

Hello gang of brilliance… I am growing plants in peat/perlite; have the watering/pH figured out now (thx to this group), my next set of questions… I am using General Hydroponics line of nutrients (Micro, Gro, Bloom). I pre-mix in a 2 gal pail and water accordingly. I have to use pH Down as I have high bicarbs in my supply. I note a precipitate on the surface when I premix and let it sit there for a day or two… however if I mix and use immediately after then that is not the case. Am I to simply not premix? Only mix what I need and then discard the rest? I was trying for efficiencies… what do you know here? Thanks in advance…

1 Like

When i was using bottled nutrients i used to pre mix a 20,ltr bucket i checked the ppm after mixing and i check it again two days after sometimes the ppm would rise and it would fall by a few points but i ran a air pump in my bucket

2 Likes

Better not to let it just sit, use a wave maker or a small water pump or air pump with stone, something to keep the water moving and mixed. I use these in my nute buckets:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081G7F727

5 Likes

That’s interesting. I will check this out. Thank you.

I hand water, not via an automatic system.

2 Likes

So do I, but I don’t like having to mix nutes daily (coco growing presently) so I do like 8 gallon batches at a time which lasts me 4 days, the ph will drift up a little daily so check and adjust as needed.

5 Likes

I have noticed the drift as well. Ok thanks, this is great.

2 Likes

Late to the game, but I second that notion. Using a pump or airstone to keep the solution agitated and prevent stagnant conditions that will encourage pathogens is best. I keep my solution moving with a small powerhead pump fit to a biological filter (basically a sponge) and use a large air pump with 3 airstones. That is in my tank- I grow coco via auto fertigation. When I hand-watered, I dropped a large airstone into the bucket. I also used to use a wavemaker. Can’t go wrong with those, as long as the pump isn’t overpowered for the volume of water (heat), in which case the solution might end up too warm and deprived of oxygen.

2 Likes