Pre-emptive transplant question

I’m going to be transplanting from a 3gal to a 5gal for flowering about the middle of February. The 3 gal is a plastic pot. My 5 gal is a fabric. I’m nervous about transplanting after going from a solo to the 3 gal and dropping my girl.

Also, will drilling small holes throughout my plastic pot help with O2 flow and drainage?

2 Likes

Yes but don’t drill too high. I even have holes in my fabric pots. I may have to water a little more but less risk of bud rot.

1 Like

4 small holes at the lowest points of the pot. Drainage is a must as you can drown the roots or cause pH issues and a whole slew of things.

Makes sense. Best thing is to just do it. Make sure the roots have built up enough to hold on to the medium they’re in. If you’re going from a 3, then there should be enough of a root mass to pretty much just lift it out and drop it in the bigger vessel and backfill. If it’s an auto, then you do need to be careful.

1 Like

Plant is still pretty small to be worried about transplanting…
You have plenty of time to get things in order…
:v:t4: :sunglasses:

4 Likes

When I have to transplant from a plastic pot I run a knife around the inside edge so the root ball slides out easier.
In the future you may want to consider using transplanters with a Velcro zipper on the side.

Set the plant on a inverted pot with a smaller diameter, undo the Velcro and roll it down. The root ball is exposed and easy to transplant.

2 Likes

I dought the drilled holes in the plastic pot will do much. It’s only going to be in the 3 gal. about another month. For the size of the plant and short time left in its 3 gal. home the roots wont be packed to tightly.
Once you get in that fabric 5 gal. your plant will thank you.
When we grow I like to start in 3 gal. indoors. When we transplant to the outdoor garden we transplant from the 3s to 50 gal. fabric. I feel like the less transplants you can do the better.
Happy growing…

1 Like

Another question I have. My humidifier has a blue led readout display. It’s bright but not over bright. Will that blue light in its dark period mess with the plants cycle? My space heater has a small red light. Will either of those affect my plant?

1 Like

LED’s have been known to cause potential issues. If there’s a way you can cover it and still get your readings, it wouldn’t hurt. Better safe than sorry.

2 Likes

Black tape it… All leds… No light.

Also… At transplant… I add Great White powder to the transplant hole before the transplant… I use at each transplant… Solo - > 1 gal plastic - > 7 fabric.

The plants love it.

https://www.amazon.com/Great-White-PRPSGW04-100049823-Mycorrhizae/dp/B00AU8JKR6/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=BACQ0R3NA8X3&keywords=great+white+mycorrhizae&qid=1641750879&refinements=p_85%3A2470955011&rnid=2470954011&rps=1&sprefix=Great+white%2Caps%2C183&sr=8-3

1 Like

Also… After taping the leds on your heater and such… Keep an eye on them… It sucks to realize the tape came unstuck exposing the plants to light causing hermies… After harvest.

The heat and humidity can mess with tape… I use gorilla tape black… On my cool mist humidifier and small oil filled radiator heater. Haven’t had issues yet.

1 Like

Soil should be fairly dry when you transplant. It holds together better and is easier on the back (yours, not the plants).

1 Like