PR’s continuing grow adventures and member's hub (Part 1)

Well you do what you like with your plants all I asked was to see the results. I would be pretty sad if I spent all that time growing plants to have a problem right at the end. Is the dehumidifier going to be in the tent?

1 Like

Down as in low rh. 45ish.

1 Like

Just outside tent, which is in a room seperate from rest of house. Seperate climate control too. Ductless mini split and a dehuey.

1 Like

That could also lead to a plant going hermi because of the shock. You can play with it reducing temperatures of watering slowly. The 48 hour period with ice is a common preocedure.

It also doesn’t matter if the soil is wet or not, the plants aren’t going to take up anything while in the dark.

I’d more more worried about the degradation of trichomes at 80° than fungus in a dark room at 60% humidity.

Humidity of 60% is pretty average.

What problem are we worried about here? At 45% humidity your plants will be dry in 2 days or less, that sounds like a problem to me. :thinking: maybe I’m missing something.

Everything I see pr talking about has been done, and is a method used often.
I guess I’m confused here.

5 Likes

Harvest doesn’t mean saving nutes around here. Still have 3 others asking for a healthy meal.

6 Likes

I will be at 60 rh for the hanging to dry.

5 Likes

That sounds good. 55-60. I def would not go lower. The longer the dry the better. :+1:

2 Likes

Why you ice your plants down? I have been around a little while and never see anyone do it that I can remember.

1 Like

Was about to say, im mistaken. In the 60rh realm next 2 days as well. Too many #s in my head. Especially since im making a rez of jacks during this!

1 Like

It’s an old school practice. Last ditch effort to get the plant to do it’s best. No evidence to support it does anything at all. If you have the means to do so, why not? It’s not going to hurt anything. It might even help. Unless you run clones and test who’s to say.

The dark period isn’t proven. The feed to the end or flush isn’t proven. Splitting the stalk isn’t proven either. Why are those common?

:thinking:

We see what we want to see, and without testing these methods ourselves we rely on hearsay from other growers.

Which kind of seems boring to me.

4 Likes

@Not2SureYet @Nicky @Covertgrower @AfgVet @MattyBear @repins12 @Enlightened420 @Hellraiser @dbrn32

Any input on icing down plants from some Og growers here?

Ok but @Low do you personally do it?

6 Likes

Yeah, I have. I cannot verify there was any significant difference.
I don’t mind taking the extra steps. I also cannot verify that dropping temps, 5° at a time per watering for the last 14 days does anything.
The only thing I’ve noticed is reducing light schedule towards the end of the grow and reducing dli seems to aid in trich production. Could it have been the pheno making methink that’s what happened? Absolutely. But I can’t count it out with just a couple tests. You never know what could happen.

2 Likes

I have tried icing down the pot, splitting the stem, 48 hours of darkness, played with ph, etc…
IMO, none of those methods have proven worth the time or effort in my experience. Those are limited experiences as I haven’t done side by sides with clones to really be able to tell.
I say try it out. Try them all out. Why not? Keep things fun and interesting and maybe your experiences will be different than mine :call_me_hand:t3::v::bear:

8 Likes

Just for the experience, and continued education for a new grower , being me.

3 Likes

I’ve seen it done in the forum, never tried it myself.

I can see the theory in it. It gets cold in fall, and freezes the ground. But have no idea if freezing the ground would increase trichome production, over a strain that lives in the tropics, and it never freezes…

It’s open for debate with no studies done, in controlled environments. There could be some evidence of it, but we wouldn’t know because there’s no direct comparison. Like MattyBear said, I say try it a few ways, might be on to something. A lot of things were discovered on accident.

7 Likes

I’ve iced mine down a few times. Didn’t seem to do anything so I never bothered again

8 Likes

It may well be just a waste of ice. If so, then ill know, from my own experience, to not bother again. Its all good. Im enjoying growing regardless! If they come out of the dark, just the same as they are about to go in, ill be thrilled. Any improvement, even better. Knowing them like i do, and seeing how they handled their cargo trailer weekend recently, coming out worse, i don’t expect at all. Hope I didn’t just jinx us! Will report back Thursday night.

6 Likes

I’ve done the icing (along with most other things) but not really with a scientific test methodology, more of just do and see what happens. The last time I did it was a couple years back on a Platinum Bubba Kush, also did the stem split a couple weeks before harvest and iced her up the last few days before chop and in the 48 hours of darkness. Everyone that got to smoke those buds said it was a little frostier and stronger than usual (was a clone line I ran). Was it the ice or the stem split or both combined? No idea. LOL But she was a bit better than previous clones of the line, could not have been just all of our imaginations for everyone to notice.

I do have 9 clones of Blue Dream running right now and could do a more scientific test with them, say give 3 the ice treatment, give 3 the stem split and leave 3 clones as the control (don’t do either) and see if there are any visual differences and smoking differences noted. I will add this to the other experiment I am doing with them (microbe shoot-out).

13 Likes

To the dark they go. Took multiple close ups for comparison in a couple days. Sour d as well, which is in another room. Wait and see.

12 Likes

Looks like a Field of dreams in that tent very nice work

4 Likes