PPM's Reverse Osmosis, Distilled or Tap?

@Covertgrower since retesting and swirling it in distilled first now my apera says 244 tds ppm

1 Like

Not too bad @DankGunslinger mine is 144ish. City well water.

2 Likes

I added about 10 ml of canna vega to a gallon of water it dropped my ph so I am bringing that back up

2 Likes

@DankGunslinger

Can someone make sure my own interpretation of what PPM and how it is used s correct.

i see PPM is a way for you to monitor or gauge the amount of nutes that is in the Water.

So if one starts off with RO water, then you know that you are starting off with near Zero PPM in the water. This gives a zero base to start from.

If one uses well or city water, we understand that there will be a certain amount of particles “PPM” in the water to start with. This can be particles that are good for the plant or not, one will only know if they have the water tested.

Now, if we use non-RO water with particles in it, this doesn’t mean they are all bad particles, although they could be good or bad particles for our plants.

If chosen to use city or well water, “take a reading”, then zero that reading out as the base. Then use this number as the starting point for the nutes when implemented. There are times I have done this, but… you just don’t know what the particles are that are in the water already. They may be good or bad, if bad, they could cause some kind of problems for the plants, like lockout or such. Which can only be determined by testing.

In order to try to create the perfect growing environment for the plant, starting with RO water will ensure that we have no foreign materials in it.

It is just a way to gauge the amount of what is in the water?

2 Likes

@kw_Bat I used distilles to clean the meter and also recalibrated it with the instructions from apera my ppm is 262. So it wasn’t as terrible as I thought.

1 Like

@DankGunslinger,

Dank,
What got me was, I had been using RO water in my DWC system, like I should be, all good there.

But me, well I am cheap, so I thought “I will just use tap water to run in my humidifier”. I mean, after all, I am feeding the the machine a gal of water a day, that is 30$ plus tax a month for the distilled water I would normally use. So I am like forget that, I will just use tap water.

Ha, I must of been smoking the good stuff that day I made that decision! No lie, it was less than 7 days later, I go in on one of my routine fill-ups and “BAM”, I look and there was this cloudy while/yellow stuff all floating in the water where it puddles into the machine. I was like what! Oh no, I got some kind of fungus crap growing in my tent. As I investigate I find that the heater core that aids in the evaporation process of the machine, had this white crust looking stuff, this hard build up all over it. What it appeared to me to be was, maybe a Calcium build up.

Anyway, after that I was like, forget that, no way I am going to feed my “baby girls” no crap like that. Shoot I am not going to even drink the crap myself!.

Learned my lesson about water that day. LOL :sunglasses:

2 Likes

on humidifiers the one I got is a vicks but i had a crane for shrooms years ago and it works better you could adjust from visibly none to vapor pouring out.

1 Like

Ha! I used to drive to the Capital of my State. There was a Coleman Dairy farm that had been there for years, the city had kinda grew around it. But I would go there, climb the fence and pick those mushrooms.

Memories…

1 Like

@kw_Bat Shrooms are a little intense for me. lol then again last time i took the ones i grew i thought watching alice in wonderland on vluray in a dark room was a good idea. Negative ghost rider.lol Had to turn it off whem johnny depps face was stretching as he ran away.

1 Like

You can’t use hard tap water in an oscillating humidifier.

The salts are emitted into the air along with the vapor.

This will cause calcium buildups and will also clog the charcoal filter in your tent after continued use

1 Like

OLD decrepit topic but Can one use tap water on outdoor autos or not?