PPM & EC Runoff way too high

I watered my plant today because the coco was dry and the leaves started to droop (just this one plant). I have only ever feed this plant one other time with a PPM of 600 and EC of .7? If I recall correctly. However today I got my RO Buddy so I can start using Ro instead of tap. When I watered today I only used a mix of 360 PPM and a EC of 0.5. Runoff was extremely high at 1020 PPM and an EC of 1.1-1.2. I try to hold my smart pots in the air for a while to let the water come out into dish’s as I don’t have any elevators atm. Any help would be appreciated.

Sounds like you’re over feeding.

Next time just use straight RO water and see what the runoff is.

You want your runoff ppms to be close to your input ppms. Adjust accordingly.

1 Like

Can’t let coco dry out: water daily! Get on a schedule: feed/water/feed/water. I applaud the R/O buddie: great unit.

The callout you gave for input TDS is in range for a veg plant but have no idea of what happened up til now: fill this out?

COPY/PASTE the below list into your forum post.

Answer these simple questions the best you can.
If you do not know, or do not use something; Just say so; Or post
NA (non applicable)

• What strain, Seed bank, or bag seed
  • Method: Soil w/salt, Organic soil, Hydroponics, Aquaponics, KNF
  • Vessels: Pots, Grow beds, Buckets, Troths
  • PH of Water, Solution, runoff (if Applicable)
  • PPM/TDS or EC of nutrient solution if applicable
  • Indoor or Outdoor
  • Light system
  • Temps; Day, Night
  • Humidity; Day, Night
  • Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size
  • AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier,
  • Co2; Yes, No

Always try to upload a clear picture of any issues you may have to allow the community to assist you.

Add anything else you feel would help us give you a most informed answer should be included. Feel free to elaborate, but short and to the point questions and facts will help us help you in a more efficient manner :slight_smile:

Thanks!

1 Like

Seed: La Berry Fruta Auto newguy420seeds
Medium: Cyco Coco Pearl Washed & Prebuffed
Pots: 3 Gal. Smart Pots
PH: 5.8 Runoff: 6.2
PPM: 360 EC: 0.5/ Runoff PPM: 1020-1050 EC:1.1-1.2
Indoor
Light: Spider Farmer SF-2000 dimmed @ 65%
Temp: 73-77° F (the light cycle is 24hr ATM)
Humidity: 46-51%
Vent: Yes Jetstream? 4in. Exhaust out the roof blowing INTO filter adjustable knob at about 50%. I forget the rating off my head.
Let me rephrase. It wasn’t completely dry as I would spray around it usually before bed and waking up. I have never given any feed to it past the 600 PPM range and I’ve only done this once a few days ago as my schedule calls for it at week one in Coco . I guess I’ve been worried to water as I read about roots searching and overwatering and yeah I was hesitant. There’s still new growth in all of the plants however the new growth is coming in yellow. Also I used a spray wand to water two of the plants and I sprayed one of the plants with it so yeah it Dosent look too pretty.

1 Like

Also when I run the RO water should O just make sure the ph is at 5.8 and that’s it and then recheck the runoff? See if it has came down any?

New growth is what to look at: lime green at that point is spot on. You had water or wind damage on those older leaves so ignore for now.

Straight R/O does not need to be PH’d: it will adopt the native PH of the media. Any water under 100 ppm is the rule of thumb. This is NOT true once adding salts to pure water.

1 Like

The best part of RO water… no need to pH if you’re just watering.

2 Likes

Oh okay. I never knew that. So even if it’s coming in at 7 it’ll adjust automatically? And that’s good to know on the line green. Yes I sprayed it with nutrient water and put it under the light I have a before pic of it when it first started forming. You can see a water splash mark stain and yeah. Oops :man_shrugging: First Timer. Lesson learned. So I’m pretty much on the right track just get the PPMs and EC down? Maybe start watering more? :laughing:
Here’s the before pic so peeps can learn from my mistake.

1 Like

Any reading you get from pure water (low ppm) will not be a true ph. It’s just your meter guessing. You need solids (ppm) in the water to hold an actual ph.

1 Like

That makes sense then lol. So since the PPM and EC are zero it’s just not calculating it in the PH meter because the PH meter usually sits in a 7.0 solution?
Side note. Was your room the one behind the mirror? I was looking at that thread recently and thought I seen your name. If so that’s a killer room brother!

It doesn’t have anything to do with the solution, it just happened to guess that number this time. It’ll bounce around, usually between 7 and 8.

1 Like

Right on. I just got the RO Buddie cause the distilled is going to add up real quick and we cannot refill since the rona. Thanks for the help.
Cheers

I’ve been using the RO buddy for a year. Great product at a great price. Typical ppms are 3-4.5…

1 Like

Yep I got one too. Hooked it up outside because none of my indoor faucets can connect to it

3 Likes

Yeah it’s great so far I got 3 gallons in like an hour from it. Anyways I guess another question popped up while I was brainstorming. Since I was mixing nutes today. I added and the ph went down so I phx up to 5.8 since it was at 4.2 and I didn’t know any better. Will the PH up effect the plant at all? By the way it was only about a half gallon for the plant so it was only a cpl drops of PH Up.
Thanks y’all

You’ll need to ph if you’re adding nutes (ppm). Once your ppm hits around 100, what you’re reading is a true ph. You just don’t need to ph if you’re pouring in straight RO water.

1 Like

All good info thanks brother.

1 Like

What product are you using to raise ph?

Potassium bicarbonate is ok for live soil, others not so much.

1 Like

It’s the General Hydroponics PH Up & Down. Not sure what the ingredients are in it I just got it cause it was the cheapest at the hydro store🤷‍♂️. I’m probably wrong for doing so cause I’m a noob. If you could lead me in the right direction that’d be great. PS I also have another auto strain in FFHF atm in a solo cup will transplant to FFOF soon. Will this Product be okay for this soil?
Just checked the bottle it is potassium carbonate

I just got back from the hydro store. I picked up some advanced nutrient PH Up as I didn’t know exactly what to get. They had a RO PH Stabilizer? But it was like 90 bucks for a gallon and I didn’t want to spend that much lol. Plus got some NX Level Pot Elevators to make watering a tad easier. Lemme know if I made the right call with the PH Up. BTW it’s Potassium Hydroxide.
Cheers