Power Plant Grow~ Newbie 2018

Ugh. I had an accident with one of my seedlings. I went to go put them outside this morning and ended up snapping one in half. I tried to fix it but as you would imagine I was unsuccessful. I have more seeds so I can plant another. I feel so bad.
It has been extremely cloudy here and will be that way for the next week. The one that is left is a bit leggy. Not too bad though. Should I wait until the weather turns dry and sunny before I start the new one?
Thanks!

1 Like

I throw some Growth Hormone or cinnamon and Tape it together
Suck’s I’ve some cracked branches that I had in tent,just holding them straight with twine off the scrog

1 Like

Thanks Rick. The leaves flopped over at the top. I don’t think they are viable at this point. Such a careless mistake. I will keep moving forward.

1 Like

Well Dam , Bad Storm coming,had some plant’s in pot’s out on back deck,Dog is freaking out,go to put them in box and 2 small branch’s came off, Grabbed some Aloa Vera from garden stuck ends in the middle of it and in water, Have to Plant later

2 Likes

Snapping one in half? What did you do with the half still in the soil? As long as it had growth, it will spring back.

I hope you didn’t compost it!

This extra rain has made me rethink my potting mix…

Please excuse me, life is needing immediate attention…

1 Like

It is just a stem. No nodes, no leaves. I don’t think it can come back from that?

1 Like

We are having the same weather here, rain and high humidity. This morning the sky was so blue and I did a little fist pump thinking there would be sun. Nope, here come the clouds. It’s looking like this will stick around all week. It’s not good when the soil won’t dry out. Hopefully you can get the right soil mixture for your plants.

1 Like

Sorry I had to leave abruptly. My mechanic called for me to pick up my truck which has been down for a year.

Anyway, I’ve been thinking of increasing my perlite ratio from 30-40% up to 60%. I’m not sure how it will affect pH, but I know it will allow much better drainage.

I’m thinking I would have to water and feed more often, but it should help for times like we are going through now. Fortunately, my property drains very well with all the sand. My girls in the ground would be in trouble otherwise!

I haven’t tried this yet, so I won’t recommend it at this time, but it seems like a good solution if we are finally coming out of our drought cycle.

Ah! The joys of adjusting to nature…

3 Likes

GoodMorning @FloridaSon, we finally got some rain, It might clear up your way, hope your clone is doin fine, I’ll chat with you later having to separate chicks this morning, they are already fighting,put them in the rabbit bins, so much for rabbits. I’ve gots to make some fly pens and find some homes for the males.

1 Like

This is the trouble maker

t

3 Likes

@FloridaSon let us know how the soil adjustment works out . Good luck with that.
@Mrcrabs is that little one in time out :wink:

2 Likes

@Rainey, yes he is my friend, he don’t know how to share his food, ha ha. I will be rehoming him soon. We just keep the females. Less headaches, have a good one my friend.

2 Likes

Well my remaining seedling looked like it tried to heave itself out of it’s little peat pot. Wth?! I tucked her back in carefully and mounded the soil up a bit. She did get some morning sun before the clouds closed in so I’m happy about that. All’s right in Rainey land :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Good morning. I’m planning on making my 7 gal grow bag today. The measurements are 12" h x 13" diameter. I can use either duck canvas or landscape fabric. I am afraid that the black landscape fabric might make the roots too hot. The sun here is brutal. Any thoughts?

1 Like

This update to my grow journal is long over due. I planted another Power plant seed and it succumbed to dampening off. So out of the three I planted only one is still doing well.

I have been lurking and I have learned a lot!
Such as

• Past performance does not guarantee future results. My indoor grow 25+years ago was awesome.
  • growing outside might seem ideal but it is very unpredictable
  • No matter how great everyone else’s plants are doing my plant will be a total underachiever. Kinda like my human kids :slight_smile: but I still love them anyway
  • My educational background in horticulture just means any plant Itry to grow will mock me
  • Don’t grow in ceramic. Especially not in the South. It’s too hot
  • Test your pH. Even my rainwater barrel hovers at 6.5-7.0 must be the roof shingles or the Live Oak leaves or the squirrels peeing on my roof

Good news is I topped her at 5 nodes. She loved that and is pushing out fat happy growth at the top and along her stem. I transplanted her into a fabric pot with a composted organic soil that has no additives. I mixed that with organic worm castings. Most of all I am leaving her outside now. I would bring her in every night onto the screen porch and realized that she really needs to be outside. I think she was confused. Plus I am not an early riser and she would miss early morning sun.
My plan is to fertilize with Alaskan Fish Emulsion at 1/4 strength weekly in 5.0-5.5 pH water and will test the run off and will adjust the water as necessary. She is clearly still in her vegative phase so I’m thinking that is the best additive for now.

Fingers and leaves crossed that she continues on a healthy path. Of course I’m always open to advice and thoughtful comments from y’all.

Happy growing🌱

3 Likes

My girl is doing really well. The new growth from topping her is healthy and green. She loves her new pot and the soil she is in. I haven’t watered her in over a week. The base of the pot is damp and my thought is her roots are heading down to the moisture. The humidity here has been high and she seems to get a misting of dew over night. I will fertilize her at the next watering. I purchased Recharge from Real Growers and am looking forward to trying that when it arrives.
She is still really short. Which is no doubt due to my inexperience and in spite of that she is green and happy even with my attempts to kill her :wink:
Happy growing :seedling:

3 Likes

My girl has been doing extremely well. We had a very rough start. She stalled and refused to grow. I believe it was my pH level. We got past that and she is happy now. We have been really hot and humid here with mid 90 degree days with near 100% humidity. She seems to love it. I have been low stress training her with pipe cleaners and clothespins. I have pinched her back twice. I think her canopy is even and I’m not going to pinch her back anymore. I will just continue to train her down. She started pushing fine white hairs. She is in a fabric pot and gets watered when she is dry with Recharge 1tsp and Fish Emulsion. 1/4-1/2 strength per gallon. It’s about every 4 days. I also let her get rained on now, unless it is a really bad storm and then I bring her in to the screen porch. I will slowly switch to bloom booster mixing with the fish emulsion eventually phasing that out.
She has a new friend. An auto Haze XL. The difference in this grow is remarkable. At just over a month she is so far ahead of where my power plant was.
This picture of my PP is from two days ago. She grows about 1" a day. She’s even bigger now. It’s dark ATM or I would get a new picture :slight_smile:
Hopefully things will continue on a positive path.

2 Likes