Poverty Mountain

You bet they are. I saw a piece of property that had burls on about 1/4 of the trees. I stopped and asked the owner about it (fingers crossed of course). He called it his retirement plan. He intentionally caused his trees to generate burls. Itā€™s sort of like making cultured pearls. The guy started this YEARS earlier. Nice plan if you ask me.
He was very pleasant as he told me he never wanted to see me out there. LOL

6 Likes

If you treat with aloe and plan to bandage the woundā€¦only use the flesh of the aloe leafā€¦if you treat a superficial wound, use the yellow sap in the skin of the aloe ā€¦:sunglasses::v:

6 Likes

Thanks sir. That is good stuff to know.

3 Likes

Thank you for that info! I used to work at La-Z-Boy and we built desks. And one in particular costs a :poop: load more than the rest. It had a murtle burl top. Now I know why only Congress can afford them. :wink:
My crash cart :shopping_cart: main ingredient is a aloe plant. It also has wooden skewers, string, electrical tape, clothes pins and green veg wire. All are in arms reach. :sunglasses::v::call_me_hand:

6 Likes

Gotcha! Thanks man.

1 Like

If you donā€™t have aloe and break somethin you can use honey as well. :wink: I wouldnā€™t do that on an outdtgrow though. You may attract things you donā€™t want. :sunglasses::v::call_me_hand:

7 Likes

Hey @Dman1969
Honey can cure about anything. Just ask her.
:smile:

7 Likes

I had a large burl one time that cost me more in carbide than it did. Ended up breaking it down with a grinder and chainsaw. Barely paid for itself. :joy:

1 Like

Was it a Blackjack @GREANDAL ?
Their like a rock after they season.
Worse than Hickory even.

1 Like

Myrtle burls like that are huge. To make a desktop like that they split them into flitches and shave veneers. The wood is expensive enough but the skilled labor makes it crazy. :honeybee:

3 Likes

I should say saw into flitches. You arenā€™t splitting a burl in any good way.

2 Likes

No I wouldnā€™t have wasted the teeth had I expected it! :joy: It was a huge walnut burl I had roughly squared at the yard. I watched it for a couple years until a project that deserved it came by. Why did the burl exist? A lawn dart from the 60ā€™s. Iā€™ve seen softer granite.

1 Like

A wood turner would give big money for a large, solid Walnut burl.
A 20" could be several hundred to the right person.

1 Like

Yessir. I have a a couple wood lathes and have turned spindles and wind instruments but large diameters get me too uptight. Wet wood maybe but it takes stones to lean into that tortured grain at speed. Shudders :honeybee:

I use it as surface laminate on headstocks etc. The project I mentioned was a harp for a friend.

2 Likes

Yep. That is a solid fact.

2 Likes

Having been struck by both a rifle butt and a loose turning I can say there is little to choose between the two but your reaction. :joy:

1 Like

Iā€™m trying to put together a luthier shop. I have most of the equipment. Iā€™m modifying the old home place (wiring, air filtersā€¦)

1 Like

Time is the crux of the biscuit. If you can bring the living tissue back in contact before the wound healing process gets too far everything will knit together. :honeybee:

1 Like

Tell me something Greandal, have you ever heard of someone grafting a branch of one strain to a plant of a different strain? Iā€™m sure both strains would have to require similar growing requirements.

1 Like

I built my first instrument because I wanted something I couldnā€™t afford. I think Iā€™ve said that before, thatā€™s how I was raised, you understand. I did it once then again cause it wasnā€™t as good as I knew I could do. Then I was good at it and my friends, real pickers mind you not classically trained effetes like me had me repairing their stuff and made a few things and I went and got a real job and a lifetime later Iā€™m back to myself.

1 Like