Potent but airy buds

Grew a chocolope plant and the quality is great for a first try. But I wound up with well over 4 cups of dried buds that only weighed 3/4 of an ounce! They are pretty, potent, but light as a feather! Can’t provide pics, since I tore everything down already. Before I start the next grow I wanted to see what I can do here.

I grew in miracle grow potting soil, closet setup, used a light compost tea for fertilizer. The plant was healthy, grew well, no diseases or nutrient indicators on the leaves. Other than leaves dying off during the final budding the plant was green and healthy.

My light was cfl lights and and used this during flowering: Roleadro LED Grow Light, Galaxyhydro Series 300W Indoor Plant Grow Lights Full Spectrum with UV&IR for Veg and Flower

For a standard 2X4 closet grow was this enough light? Do I need a second lamp?

I find that 2 of those in a 2x4 work very well. I started with one, same brand, but decided to add another. I have seen much improvement, all around.

In my larger tent, I have a 600w going, with an extra 300w ready to go, if needed.

There are others here with waaay more experience in the general subject of lighting. I can tell you, though, that the general consensus seems to be that Galaxyhydro lights are a great deal & do a fine job, especially for the price.

4 Likes

Thanks. the light unit had good reviews. They were ready to harvest, checked the tricomes and most of the buds were good sized. But so light! :slight_smile: But it was my first attempt so overall I am not disappointed.

5 Likes

My first attempt, I had the same thing happen. Once I got more light, the next grow, even though I screwed it up, gave me some nice buds. Each grow gets better. At least that’s what I keep telling myself. :grin:

3 Likes

Practive makes perfect!:smiley:

3 Likes

It really does. Since I joined this forum and even before joining I was watching it and reading for about a year. My last three girls have gotten a little better each time, just like the other folks said. Just keep asking questions on this forum and you’ll do fine. Very knowledgeable people on here. Good luck and enjoy your growing.

6 Likes

have 2 Galaxyhydro 300’s myself - great led’d for the money - airy buds come from sativa dominate strains (like yours) and also heat & ventilation (heat intensity) issues are other causes should work fine with what you haves - have you looked into led panel for side lighting? with your are you could really increase your yields have a few panel’s myself fro side lighting WOW !!! they do work let me know if you want the name of the panes ($30.00 - 12 X 12 - FULL SPECTRUM WITH UV & IR - 45 watters)

2 Likes

Do you have the white led model or the colored? Sativa’s are generally a little more fluffy, but you are underpowered in lighting as well. Those lights pull around 130 ish Watts right? Even the latest and greatest king dingaling led fixtures using the super high efficiency diodes won’t flower 8 square feet well with only 130 watts power draw.

I’m willing to bet they harden up quite a bit with more light. Whether or not another of the same fixture or not is up to you.

2 Likes

Potent but airy, that’s what happens to me every time I grow gold leaf.

1 Like

@boomer you need more light. So you would be good buying another galaxy hydro light and that will give you just over 260 actual watts. That should be about perfect for flowering in the space you have. Now you’ll just have to get rid of the higher heat from adding a second light. My first grow had airy buds from not enough light. I had about 30 watts per square foot. I now have about 45 per square foot and it made a big difference on the bud density.

2 Likes

Not sure how to get rid of the heat - it literally is a closet not a grow room. Can’t crack the door due to the colored light and it would be seen from the street

3 Likes

I recently invented something I call a window shade … :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Switch over to some white lighting. You can diy something that can run real cool if you don’t mind spending a few bucks.

4 Likes

Another reason to go with an all white grow light. Just another light on in the house if they see anything. @boomer

5 Likes

I used a 400 watt HPS in a 2.5 by 2.5 foot shower and got 7 ounces, on my first try. You definitely need more light.

4 Likes

@boomer you definitely need more light but I would think you should keep an eye on your humidity it can cause airy buds I understand its a small grow just an opinion for you but you are in great hands here and they will definitely help you out, do you check your temps and humidity mate?

colored LED’s panels

what do they say - 75 watt’s per plant with LED’s - suggest another 300 watter

It’s about how much space you have. You’ll need more than thst. @dbrn32

2 Likes

@boomer I made a mistake with my math. You would need 350 - 400 actual watts for that space. That would be three of the Galaxy 300.

2 Likes