Potassium silicate

does anyone use a potassium silicate product? if so what do you think about them
@MattyBear @AAA @Midwestnewbie @elheffe702

I use it as well as seed sprout tea to stiffen up plant structure beginning about week 4 of flower after the stretch is done and I’ve done all of the training I’m going to do. I won’t use it before then because it does cause stiffness and it can make training very difficult to accomplish without breaking branches.

2 Likes

thanks for the input @MidwestGuy, i hadn’t thought about the training part, good heads up. i did a bunch of reading on the stuff and thought it would be a good idea to help the plants. they said u can use it during veg cycle but i hadn’t thought about it’s effect on trying to train plants. mostly i was interested in it to help in flowering though. it said that it helps get more trichomes out and up the thc. i had problems with the blue dream i grew with buds bending over and not having branches strong enough to support them. do u stop using it a couple weeks before the end of flower or continue to the end?

1 Like

It improves disease tolerance and increases the structure of the plant. Add to nutrient solution first.

3 Likes

Does more than we know right now. Hearing Dr.Bruce Bugbee say it increases terps the other day. Should use it. Go to a hydro stores open house, manufacture’s will give you gals of it to try.

1 Like

Yes. It works really good to strengthen the structure. A couple of weeks is all that is needed. I wasn’t aware of any research with it and terps.

3 Likes

I use it after setting the plants up on the screen, basically when I start flowering. I always add it to the RO water a couple hours before adding everything else. I quit using it 3 weeks before harvest.

2 Likes

the stuff i read said that it help make bigger … jeez i don’t know the right word, but the mechanism that puts out trichomes is supposed to get bigger with the silicate

it looks like i’m going to go with europonics silicate.

Seed sprout tea works really well too. I sprout a dozen blue corn tap roots about a half-inch and then chew them up in a blender with a couple of cups of RO and filter the roughage out with a strainer. I add that just once a couple of times during the same period.

1 Like

Found it
Good on video on how they make their Coco

3 Likes

Thanks. I will watch this. I’ve watched a few of his videos and like them.

2 Likes

thanks for the input @Myfriendis410 @Hellraiser @Member420

2 Likes

Heard him blurt it out and wasn’t sure to believe it of not. Always be skeptical.

1 Like

Yeah; I saw bogleg put this up on the other side.

2 Likes

Most of the “research” I could find on trichomes and silica were from the nutrient makers, which I don’t necessarily trust, and they are trying to sell the product. I did come across this, which was encouraging.

I would be careful with applying silica too early though, as it really does inhibit your ability to do the bending necessary if you train your plants. It only takes several days after the first application for the plant to start stiffening up. I have personally split nodes trying to train following the application of silica.

The article also reinforces @Myfriendis410 point about resistance to WPM and pests.

5 Likes

yea, that was the article that i read a couple of days ago that got me started on this subject.

2 Likes

I am trying it for this time as I saw the same info on trichome production.

3 Likes

I haven’t have a split since i stopped using SI and use Growthscience I got gal free from a sales rep.

2 Likes