Pot Sizing Question

Question for you indoor soil growers who take your plants 10 to 12 weeks into veg. What size pots to you use for these longer grows?

1 Like

You will find multiple opinions on this, but as large as I go is 5 gallon. @MidwestGuy
10-12 weeks is a long time in my opinion.

2 Likes

Agree. I’m flipping my current girls after 5 weeks of veg (I’m subtracting 2 weeks for seedling stage) and should have a nice stock since I don’t smoke a whole lot. Two z’s will last months for me. I was thinking about letting my next grow go on for a while and didn’t want it to get rootbound. I’d like to get a really nice canopy going with topping and supercropping.

1 Like

My ladies broke ground 10/25 – and still in veg mode – will flower next wkend. Only grow once a year – four to five ladies at a time – diff strains for variety during the year… Final resting place 7 gal containers – I’m filling a 6x6x7 room – more veg = more buds , if ya got the room grow grow grow. Long veg doesn’t hurt quality – just have to keep up proper feeding… Super croppin and snippin back the tips fills the room and then fills it with juicy buds.

MotaMan

3 Likes

A good estimated time frame is a month per gallon for pot size also if have room 7 gal or bigger is nice but a raised bed is really good

3 Likes

I went 2 1/2 months on last grow, started with 5 and transplanted to ten right before flipping. Root ball filled entire pot.

3 Likes

12 weeks of veg is a lot.

I use 7 gal fabric pots indoors and 25 gal outdoors.

1 Like

@Covertgrower isn’t normal veg time around 8 weeks? I thought 10-12 weeks sounded like a lot.

It’s more than average, but not ridiculous. I probably had a few go that long filling a Scrog.

@Psu8286 it’s a personal preference. I typically go up to about 8 week mark and flip to flower. Sometimes 6. It depends a lot on how large the plant is.

1 Like

@Covertgrower so basically anytime after 4-5 weeks of veg they can be switched to flower.

From seed, they typically mature around the 6-8 week mark. They won’t flower until they’re ready.

1 Like

I wasn’t sure when to consider the beginning of the veg stage. My 1st grow last year were autos.
They do what they do when they want to do what they do. So from ground breakage, 8 weeks is agood amount of time? Can they still veg in 12/12 light schedule if they’re not ready to flower? @Covertgrower

@Psu8286 yes you can even grow 12/12 the entire grow cycle. As soon as they mature they’ll go into flowering.
I prefer photoperiod for a bit of control.

2 Likes

I’ve got 2 baby Maui Wowie sprouting growing in 5x5x80 tent so I need to control their heights.

80” is a lot. As long as you flip in a reasonable amount of time, you’ll do fine. I have approximately the same tent, and I’ve grown that strain. They stretch about 25-50% depending on the phenotype.

1 Like

I’ve read that the main cola needs to be tied down at a 90 degree angle to the stem/stalk to get light to the lower canopy. For Maui Wowie
@Covertgrower

I use a 35 gallon fabric pot sitting in a 4 x 4 tray for the flowering. Once your plant gets too large it becomes almost impossible to transplant it. I would rather the plant have more than enough room instead of possibly running out half way through flower

3 Likes

I dropped a maui wowie seed last Sunday that just popped up its head this morning. It’s my “sativa” for my next grow. I’ve got a weeks old durban poison going in the meantime that I will flip in 2 to 3 weeks.

It’s the maui wowie (and an orange barb) that I want to make a large SCROG with.

2 Likes

I had originally filled a 5 gallon bucket halfway with FFOF soil. From here on out I will be using 15 gallon fabric pots for my monster grows.

1 Like