Pot Size vs Plant Size

I usually grow autoflowers, but in my last order, some regular female seeds were mixed in. I currently have two regular female seeds growing in 3 gallon fabric pots and they are about 1.5 feet tall. My question is, how tall should I let them get before I switch the light cycle to make them flower? I don’t want them to get root bound. They are growing in my barn with some LED grow lights.

1 Like

They will not get root bound in fabric pots.

5 Likes

Depends on your grow space also. How much height do you have? They can double or triple in size during flower so you have to account for that.

4 Likes

The standard is to let them grow half as tall as you want them to end up but remember that the more sativa leaning strains will stretch more than a indica strains will.

3 Likes

True story, lol

You won’t need to worry about root bound. The ones above are in a 1 gallon pot

10 Likes

How often did they require watering? I can hand water less often with a larger pot.

Once a day. But I can water 4 plants with 1 gallon and it’s much quicker than watering multiple 5 gallon pots.

2 Likes

Amount of time between watering is essential for me to be able to leave the garden unattended for up to a week +. I would need an automated irrigation to keep up with that schedule. Last time I set something up like that, I flood the basement with a 100 con of water. Wife wasn’t happy. :joy: Will need to figure another automated system out soon for the coco. :green_heart::pray::v:

2 Likes

To loose a 100 gal you must have quite a few plants. I use autopots and used less than 15 gal while gone 6 days. 3 plants, in late flower and coco.

3 Likes

I had it hooked to the main water and blew out a backflow valve. 1 con = 1000 gal Would have filled a swimming pool if the sump pump hadn’t run continuously for that week. Even then 6 plus inch water. I use about 30 gallons of jacks per day at this point.

1 Like

Nice to come home to something like that. I get the picture.

1 Like

I used to use 3gallon pots but i went up a size to a five gallon for auto flowers and it was the best thing i ever done my auto flowers grow nice and big due to the bigger pot size

1 Like