Post Harvest Hay Smell

As @dbrn32 and @Bogleg (and others) discussed curing with me in the above link, this referenced method has worked exceptionally well for me. The correct curing room temp and RH% are important to getting the best product.

One thing these mentors suggested (and I did), was to sample a small bowl of bud every few days as it was curing and being burped. I was very glad I did since I could taste the smoke getting more smooth and mellow as the bud aged. I detected grassy or hay-like notes when the bud was ā€œgreenā€, but as it aged and smoothed out, the smoke became quite nice with no grassy notes . By sampling frequently I was able to know where I started and what impact the cure has in the final product.

6 Likes

I been sampling believe me and there were times i got ripped and other days not so much. What is the correct Rh and temp ?

1 Like

Iā€™m sure there are a variety of temp and RH combinations that can be successful, but I like to dry mine on the cool side with moderate humidity.

Depends on the season, so in the summer the AC has to do overtime to get down to 60F like it does in the winter. I like 62F - 65F as ideal, altho 70F in the summer is ok for my tastes. You donā€™t want it too warm, so around 70F or a tad under is better.

RH, along with the ambient temp controls the drying rate, so 50 - 55% is my goal. I want the bud to dry in a few days, but do so in a controlled and slow fashion. Too fast can make crispy buds, and what I want is pliable stems with a very slight feel of ā€œcrackingā€ but not a snap. Too high of a humidity in your cure room will invite molds, mildews and other moisture related problems as well as slow the drying process.

2 Likes

The hay smell happens thatā€™s totally normal, it goes away after proper curing.
Let it cure right for 2 months it will smell gooooood.

But you need to flush really well in the last 2 weeks get your ppm down as low as you can.
My tap water is 230ppm so thatā€™s my final flush.
I refused to buy distilled =p I should for flushing but itā€™s just to much and Iā€™m the one smoking it so meh

1 Like

I been debating with myself about getting a flushing agent like sledge hammer do you think thatā€™s necessary ? And i just did a flush at mid way going to flower from veg. And the lowest i could get ppm"s was around 8oo. I havenā€™t read anything on here that has mentioned this.

Iā€™m glad to hear that about the hay smell. There being cured as i nip away at one plant that i harvested a little earlier than the others. Itā€™s tasting morre fruity every day. I smoke out of a bong and what iā€™ve noticed is the outer part of the buds taste the best and the second hit which burns down to the center is more harsh tasting with a bit more of a buzz. I think thatā€™s telling me there not dried and cured to the center of buds yet And iā€™m just ranting on but my top teeth briefly go numb after hitting it,smh. I just don"t know iā€™m 62 and my body is going thru a lot of changes lately and weed sure helps cope with them

3 Likes

For the final month Iā€™m backing off the nutes, then giving good dose of Floraclean cleans my hydro system too.

2 Likes

You need to flish after veg if your giving nutes but if your in soil and not giving nutes you donā€™t have to. Iā€™ve never used a flushing agent and always just used normal water, so does my friends who run a legal production grow.
Just make sure your flushing well at the last 2 weeks is what truly counts.

1 Like

The last few weeks donā€™t let them get any N nitrogen if thatā€™s possible. It makes everything nice and green, true but I believe it also makes it taste green like yard grass or hay. I avoid plastic bags and any chance of making it sweat. If it has to go into bags I use brown paper bags like from the grocery store. In a cool/cold dark room I hang them or let them dry on screens for several days. When the stem snaps the jarring and burping starts and continues until the desired dryness is reached. I use the way it feels on my throat to judge it and the appearance of the ash off of a smoked joint to lmk if itā€™s dried. You want a grey ash

4 Likes