Portable Air Conditioners

Do any of you run portable air conditioners in your grow rooms or tents? I was looking for a dehumidifier and came across this. It may be helpful as it heats up. I’m fighting temps already and it’s on 3 March.

If so, how’s it working for you?

1 Like

I was going to get one of those but I decided that my Summer grows will be Autos and when its a little colder in South Texas let the Photos reign again. I will make sure at least 1 Auto is with the Photo aka winter grow. :+1:

3 Likes

It will vent the smell if that’s OK. I use one In the room my res is in and vent the tent with outside air with a carbon filter.

3 Likes

When I used to do larger grows with multiple 1000 watt hps lamps in one room, I had to use those portable AC’s to keeps temps down or freeze out the rest of the house if I used the house central AC.

I no longer need to, as I’ve scaled down and just use good ventilation to suck away the heat to the outside. A 600 watt hps/mh is amazingly easy to cool. Hell, I have 2 600 watt hps/mh in my bedroom (in tents) and have no issues keeping the tents in 70’s. Lots of air moving out of that room (over 800+ cfm). But if that doesn’t get it done, gotta go with those portable AC units or a mini-split for a more permanent installation.

1 Like

Yes. Have a black and decker with a little rigging attached to it.

1 Like

I run a GE a/c portable unit in my tent. It has a dehumidifier built in and also can run on eco control. I recommend you run on eco it shuts off fan when not cooling. If I set it on regular cooling fan runs all the time. I have it in 4x8 tent it does lower humidity In tent while cooling.

1 Like

@FlxerPoweri have the Della 8000 btu, you can find it on amazon. Runs great and I have 8 hlg 260’s and 2 king 1200 running.

Either one you buy I’m sure you’ll be happy with. I do recommend insulated duct work and a inline filter

1 Like

Thanks for your input, folks.

I’m going to go for it and get a 25’ duct and vent it to my attic.

1 Like

If you go that route you can, can filter it on the end of the duct work

1 Like

Yeah. My plants right now aren’t all that stinky, but my last grow stunk up the whole house before they even got into flowering. I have an extra 6x24" Phresh filter. It should work, but may need a supplemental fan to help pull air.

2 Likes

I push the Della thru a phresh in-line filter and she works just fine , tho time will tell if she dies from it

1 Like

4" or 6"?

6 inch, I had to get it when a neighbor a 1/4 mile away texted and asked if I had seen any kids around smoking the devils lettuce…

Not sure if she wanted some or just caught wind of the skunk. Either way it took care of the issue

Phresh GL56701175 Inline Filter 6 in 500 CFM Science-lab-ph-Meters, 6 in | 500, Natural https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CJIMUH2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_RZKxEbW0QTP2C

1 Like

Lol. I get it. I have a next door neighbor that is the most nosey person I’ve ever met.

i have a portable AC / cold air dehumidifier i run in my space and i love it.

This will be the one I get next.

It comes with a carbon filter for the AC unit

Whynter ARC-14S 14,000 BTU Dual Hose Portable Air Conditioner, Dehumidifier, Fan with Activated Carbon Filter plus Storage bag & Activated Carbon Replacement Filter Portable

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TP42B2J/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_PjMxEbR36Y9P3

This cuts efficiency and will eventually shorten the life if your AC. Air conditioners need to “exhaust” the same amount of air that they “intake”. This is why it’s also important that all your ducting is the same size both on your intake air and your exhaust air. This ensures that nothing gets “choked off”.

When it comes to portable ACs like this, there are two types. There are single hose units like this

And two hose units like this

I highly suggest the two hose unit over the one hose unit.

In a single hose unit, all your return air comes from inside the room itself. This can lead to humidity problems and it doesn’t cool as well

Two hose units pull their return or intake air from both inside and outside the room. The extra air is the difference in breathing through a clogged nose and an open nose. Two hose units are roughly 30% more efficient than single hose units and do a better job of cooling

3 Likes

Run it straight into the tent and use the inkbird to control when its off/on

Like @TDubWilly mentioned, the problem with portables is that without a proper intake, they’re very inefficient.

1 Like

@KeystoneCops @TDubWilly That’s a pretty legit model, I’ll add that to the next room build

1 Like

i have a big LG model that i have been using for years for my entire space and it has never let me down yet…