Poor newbie - One plant closet grow. Help!

Thanks @Aquaponic_Dumme, I’ll definitely read through that tonight!

I just realised that if I purchase Blueberry Autoflower it’s not femized. I feel like that fact alone could make this first growing process difficult for me as I could get (or accidentally grow) a male? Although maybe I’m misunderstanding the process here?

Hey there in Australia!! I too am a newbie but I will tell you a little of what I did cause I was on a budget as well. I purchased solar (emergency) blankets on Amazon. They are mylar and very reflective. They are also cheap. Just tape them up on the walls of your closet and you are done. I am growing in 5 gallon buckets that can be scavenged from a construction site of bought at Home Depot or similar store. I used Fox Farms Ocean Forest and feel it has been a good choice. One bag was enough to fill two 5 gallon buckets.Have you considered a “spot light” type of LED? I was surprised at how much of that wonderful smell is generated by the plants! I use an exhaust fan to get rid of smell and heat build up but that may not be an option for you. Just be prepared to deal with a significant odor. Much more than I anticipated. An oscillating fan provides air movement to combat stuff like mold and mildew. You will need a Ph kit to control the ph of the water you use on the plants. I think your space is big enough for two 5 gallon buckets, maybe 3 or 4. Just thinking that as you invest all the time and money in growing one plant, you could grow 3 or 4 with very little extra effort. Especially if one plant (or more) turn out to be males!! Of course, more plants, more smell! Hope this helps! As you can see, there are a bunch of folks willing to help you get started so don’t hesitate to keep asking questions as you go!! Good luck and happy growing!

4 Likes

all of the ILGM Autos are feminized…try that blueberry

with your light question…I would go ahead and buy the 300w right now as you are obviously anxious to get started and that light will serve you well for just a couple plants. later you can buy the bigger one, not to replace, but to add to the smaller one.

the only real trick for newbies with autoflowers in my opinion, is that they have no time to recover from any stress…so you need to be on point as far as how you plan your grow…a good soil like FFOF will feed your plant through the veg stage so you do not need to add nutes…reduces the risk of a nutrient based error for the first five weeks or so of your grow.

3 Likes

I was searching for info on autoflowers awhile back and found this picture.

From everything I’ve read, autos do not like stress. So plant them in what they’ll finish in. Hope this helps.

4 Likes

It’s funny you post that @beans because I did that process, but without knowing it was an actual growing transplant technique.

@dopehat I agree with @oak and think the 300w MarsHydro will be your best and cheapest option right now (I own two of them already). Maybe in a couple months you’ll be able to get a better deal on LEDs out there. You can even upgrade the LED fixture itself if you really wanted to, @iva informed me of a DIY upgrade to the MarsHydro LEDs and it’s pretty cool. That’s down the line for you I’m sure, but it’s cool to know that you can do it if you ever wanted to.

Autos are cool because they will just grow and do their thing without you changing the light cycles. But, and this is a big but for some, they typically don’t yield as much bud compared to a non-auto strain. With that being said, I know that Blueberry auto is a good yielder from what I’ve seen!

“In the forest laying on grass”, sounds like my kind of area. I can feel the good vibes already
:evergreen_tree::evergreen_tree::v:

3 Likes

I would buy the best lamp I could find for the amount of money I had, and plan on upgrading asap. The smaller lamp will be of use for seedlings or clones in the future.

What is USD to Aus dollar conversion?

BTW. Thanks guys. I am going to invest 80 bucks for one of those 500w Mars lights. I have a plan…

And Darlin’; No worries. We are always willing to help a Lady in need. Peace, lw

2 Likes

Marshydro has a aussie store/shipper just order and it will be shipped via NSW DC
They only sell the 300w via ebay and that is the best way to order one.
Look on ebay for a seller named topledseller I think this 300w is better because it has more white light
I am not sure if I can link ebay here tell me if I cant and I will remove it but there no amazon in AU so this this the only option
I have one of these and it works well and it will cover your planed single plant grow or even 2 or 3 at a stretch
(item placeholder: NO ebay links allowed)

No fox farms here in Oz and if you want easy growing try coco its very simple and hard to get wrong where soil can go soulth very fast for a new grower

Low rider auto is a good squat growing plant for small spaces and would be a good start if you want to go auto
I ordered some this week my self for a first auto over summer

3 Likes

Cheap LED light are like fishing lures
Made to attract fisherman first fish second

5 Likes

I agree. the same can be said for most products. But I have been seeing some positive things about that one. world beater? certainly not… but perhaps a viable option if someone cannot get anything else.

I agree and wasnt questioning your remarks
I have seen ppl using this brand too with good results
Just avoid the duel chipped units they are not the listed wattage or even close as a few members have found out after buying them and having the diodes so close together will shorten their life quite considerably.

I always have a giggle at some flashy adverts used by alot of sellers and how they bag out competitors lights
The spectrum king guy stated “spiderman style leds just dont work” but I have seen many good grows from them online and first hand.

1 Like

Ok so I put in my order for Blueberry Auto’s last night. Thanks @Oak for suggesting. Didn’t realise the autos from ILGM are all female, makes my choice a lot easier. In the long run I think I’d prefer not to do auto’s but for right now I think it’s best. @beans I think I will actually do exactly what you suggested and plant them in what they finish in, just like the diagram. Thank you! :relaxed:

Thanks for led suggestion @Iva. It’s the cheapest I’ve seen.

…Although now after some further searching I’ve found an official website that sells MarsHydro to Australia and they have the MarsHydo Mars II 400 - 190 W for $189 USD. I think I could get this and see it as an investment. Do you guys think this one is a good idea?

2 Likes

Good luck with your grow.

1 Like

Yes one of those mars 2’s would be good but 2 of the sunspec 300s would be more light for less $$$ and you will be able to spread the light out over the plant. Also it always good to have a spare light just in case a light dies.
Hang lights on two threaded rods so you can move and if you want to get snazzy get a few matching nuts for holding them in place on the rods, Not my idea, an old friend does this with 4 sonti 400s
Just remember adding more light adds heat and if growing on a tight budget upgrading your ventilation may not be an option and if left it will become a major problem affecting your grow

1 Like

Good deal for you. I was going to PM you about the link you posted. From what I hear, the company website you posted is kind of like an Asian ebay type site. I would say you can buy from them. Glad you found a light source.

Can’t wait to see you start your grow. Peace :slight_smile: lw

1 Like

This One works for me…Been running it for 5 months now no problem…

1 Like

I would forget about the open wing reflector and get cooltube lighting, they keep the temp down quite nicely. Well worth the investment and they do not cost much more than the open with reflector. Hope this helps!

2 Likes

That is bad advice. Not all growers have temp issues. They may need the open fixture ro heat up the grow room. These open hoods also burn up RH.

I agree that closed hoods keep the heat down and allow closer proximity to plants.

Keep in mind; As a 12 year Cannabis Moderator; I have built and used almost everything available and I used to build my own HID lamps systems using parts form the electronics store. Not much you can tell me about lighting. I give you :+1: for sharing, though :slight_smile:

We are now building our own LED COB systems

3 Likes

@latewood,what is a led cob system?

Do a search and read up on them. It is a much more powerful LED.
Commercial grade yet still affordable.

2 Likes

Liking this LED Cob thing - Thanx for the information - been a strong fan of LED since heat is a major issue in SW FLORIDA.
As for above - does you Australian Amazon have Coco-Fiber soil - Very stable and easy to use, mix in a little vermiculite and you are ready to go- cheap and easy. ''IF you go this route watch your PH carefully - COCO bounces around a little more then your standard soils. Only drawback i have found.
Been stalking this website for years reading only, but guess its time to help out and pay it foward all the knowledge i have received from here

Storm

2 Likes