Poor Man's Growing Experiment: Take One

This is Annie 24 hours later:

1 Like

1 Like

1 Like

We did have a major thunderstorm come through last night, but I did move her under protection. She got misted on during that time tho. (Collected 2 1/2 gallons of rain water through all that.)

My question is can she be saved or do I just collect the experience and move on?

I say let her live and watch

2 Likes

I will do that

I would too. I never seen white like that on a leaf. Can it wipe off? Is it under the leaf too?

The reason, I am thinking, for Annie’s problem is these barely visible white creatures eating her stem. I pulled back some of the dirt to take a look and see if she had straightened herself out; and there they were. They had taken a huge chunk of her stem to the point when I moved the dirt she fell right over. At the moment I do not know what these creatures are … probably would not have seen them if they were not all in one spot. I have to report the demise of Annie and the end of this first experiment.

Aphids are the culprits. That is the most likely reason for what Annie was dealing with.

@TerraWolfPack F’n bummer bro. So drop another bean and turn the lights back on! Either treat the soil with mosquito bits or replace the soil altogether and treat with mosquito bits before you plant. That’s why I grow indoors.

1 Like

Unfortunately, I do not have the means to grow inside. The light source is a measly 9w grow bulb and a desktop LED lamp. Fortunately, the closet is an add-on facing South with no insulation, so whatever the temperature and humidity outside is what it is inside

I have read that Neem oil mixture is great for most insects and helps the plants. Could I use this to treat the soil and be able to use the soil again?

I am going to use @Jaysittinback advice and use a cedar mulch as well; I read that it also will keep insects away and retain moisture.

1 Like

Neem oil can burn your plants so should only be applied at night or “lights out” when its wet the droplets will magnify the light and cause light burn. Mosquito bits when applied to soil get deeper into the soil and are more effective.

2 Likes

@Thatbaldguy my plan is to treat the soil itself so I can reuse the soil. I am presuming the soil is infected and mixing the oil mixture into the container would eliminate the insects make the soil usable again.

Here is Take Two:

Happy Growing brother, I’ll be watching!

Hey there. My understanding from folks here is that you not water around the stem now. Water on the outskirts so the roots will grow towards it. At this stage( seedlings) they take in water from the leaves. So place a clear plastic cup over them like a dome. It raises the humidity and helps them absorb moisture. They look great.

1 Like

That’s how I started mine. 24-36 hours and the tap root is ready to go in the ground.

1 Like