Poor Man's Experiment: Take Two

4 Likes

I have been putting them under the domes during the night (9pm to 6am). The grow light is 12 inches above them and I have a little fan about 4 feet away blowing air their direction to make them wiggle. I use rain water to mist the domes (ph 6.0).

2 Likes

This is the whole area I have to grow in

5 Likes

My question is about the domes; is 9 hours during the night good enough?

1 Like

I Leave the domes on until there a couple inches tall and have their true leaves. Then take the dome off but I put the dome on to water the perimeter and comes right back off.

Then just water a ring around the spread of your leaves so your roots are forced to stretch and search for water which in turn will make everything above the soil explode.

5 Likes

Do you have another light for your grow?

What kind of light is that?

1 Like

@Jonesy287 The bulb is a weak 9w grow light I found. The ringed light is a LED desk lamp with three different lights ā€¦ normal white, soft yellowish, and very bright bluish.

2 Likes

1 Like

There are three different colors ā€¦ white, yellowish, and a bright bluish whiteā€¦ and can be dimmed.(The 18" LED Ring light has 416 LEDs for a long lasting brightness, adjustable CCT 3000K - 6200K, brightness 10%-100% ā€¢ Touch sensor to power on/off or switch to the lighting mode you prefer, this ring light makes every photo and video look more professional.)

1 Like

Can you spring for a light? That will get you a little bit but youā€™ll need to upgrade growmie if you can.

3 Likes

Download photone app and see what your DLI reads at the canopy just to give you an idea

2 Likes

@Jonesy287 tomorrow me and my sister will go to Loweā€™s and see if we can get a higher watt bulb and some cedar mulch. The ultimate goal is to have these girls live outside, I have no way to control temperature or humidity in the closet.

2 Likes

I donā€™t know anything about outdoor growing with cannabis. I imagine you could put them it in a sunny window sill or on a table with a lot of sun and that be your light source with her going outside. Donā€™t quite me on that thatā€™s just what I do with my veggies and fruits. Someone will come along with outdoor experience. @Docnraq might know something about itā€¦

2 Likes

@Jonesy287 I used my 3 in 1 soil tester and at the 12 inches it said low, at 6 inches it said normal. There is no perceptible heat until I put the back of my hand right at the edge of the grow light.

1 Like

Throw that out buddy. Those are junk. Not accurate at all. Maybe with soil moisture but eh. With that pot it would be difficult but I use the ā€œliftā€ method. Feel it dry before you water. Then when you lift again and itā€™s close to that weight of dry before you know itā€™s time to water. Iā€™ve heard some people just watch for the leaves to droop asking for it. Iā€™m not comfortable with that. Works great for them from what Iā€™ve seen.

The app I told you about is free to use. Hasnā€™t steered me wrong yet. :pray:t2:

3 Likes

This light, and any you might find at lowes or homedepot isnt suitable for cannabis. This image says it all, this light is ment for garden flowers and starting tomato seedlings and the like. Your likely to have some pretty leggy seedlings too. How long before you take it all outside?

Thats good cuz you will likely want to lower that light fairly close to your plant. Use the photone app and lower the light until you get a ppfd reading of 200-300 ppfd, if you can. Use the back of your hand to determine if that makes light too close. 30 seconds at canopy height, if its too hot for your hand its to hot for the plant.

3 in 1 use footcandles to measure light, and not very accurately either. A real true par meter is 100ā€™s of dollars just for the sensor. What they put on those 3 in ones to measure light, costs less then 10 cents. What you pay for is what you get They are good for training you on when to water. Lift the pot, if you feel it needs water, check it with the meter to test if you are correct or not, after a few weeks, you wont need the meter anymore. That is about all the 3 in 1 is good for.

This is a great way to germ seeds, provided the temp outside isnt too low. While I dont know alot about outdoor gardening, cant you just plant outside?

4 Likes

@Docnraq Personally I would like to put them outside now and let Mother Nature do her thing. Tomorrow I will have some cedar mulch to use, mainly for the insect repellent properties (aphids murdered my first sprout). My brother in law has been poisoning the yard for the past decade to keep the weeds at bay; two years ago he just salted the ground so he would not have to mow anymore. Planting in the actual ground (I believe) would be a bad idea. The grow light was found and after the fact I learned it was not what was needed, but it is all I have. I have the LED desk lamp to either supplement or use exclusively. It is disappointing to learn about the 3 in 1 though. A $15 learning experience I can handle.

1 Like

I donā€™t even want to tell you the money Iā€™ve wasted on buying stuff I thought I needed your thought worked and didnā€™t and didnā€™t need. I was watching videos just buying everything that everybody was using and not trying to keep it simple I was overthinking it like crazy.

2 Likes

too many times I too have travelled the overkill road
LOL

2 Likes

I do with most everything until I get it dialed in and figured out. Itā€™s a flaw but good at the same time. Haha

Good because I can share with others what not to do and try to save the money ha ha ha

2 Likes