Pond water for plants

Our rain water supply is getting low so I went and got some pond water. I did a ph on it and it is 6.5.
The rain water was consistent at 6.8 to 7.0. Is the pond water good for our girls?

@garrigan65 @bob31 @Covertgrower @Hogmaster @Countryboyjvd1971 @Screwauger @70sChick

4 Likes

Can’t see any reason why it would not be. Do you have a way to measure it’s ppm fresh from the pond? Always good to know where your starting point is. @Buck3

3 Likes

Is the ppm the same as ph? If so that’s when I measured it…fresh from the pond.

1 Like

ppm= parts per million and is a measure of dissolved solids in the water (I think). Solids beings things like sulphur or calcium or nitrogen (again I think). So no, not the same as ph.

It’s good to generally know what your ppm is in the water you feed your plants (especially if you are adding nutrients to the water). You can pick up a cheap ppm or EC (electrical conductivity kind of the same as ppm) meter on amazon for under twenty bucks.

2 Likes

i use pond water for irrigation the only time problems arise is when the pond is low and it gets stagnent it seems to cause that rust fungus and black mold (spots). other than that it works good

4 Likes

Thanks @Screwauger, we are looking on Amazon now to find and order a TDS meter.

1 Like

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0186QC8UO?psc=1

2 Likes

@Buck3 I use rain water, pond water will have extra wee beasties in it. Beneficial for soil in my opinion. I’m not sure of the temperatures there, but be sure to bring the water in for a day before using. My girls will tolerate cold water, but they look the best after a warm watering. It’s kind of like wading into the water and its a bit cold in certain areas… ( high pitched shreak) Just think of that way but for plants… lol Hope that helps.

2 Likes

Temps here still in the mid 80’s…no danger of water chill here right now. Thanks for the tip though, those are always appreciated!

Anytime @Buck3 its cold here, so I’m quite aware of how the cold affects things already… sigh winter is coming

1 Like

It’s SUPPOSED to be fall here but summer seems to drag on through the holidays. Some winter weather here would be nice…sometimes.

1 Like

@Buck3 we regularly use pond water for watering. Be aware that the ph will drift as organic material decay and sunlight on the pond changes over time so don’t just expect 6.5 forever.

The pond water will in all likelihood contain ammonia and nitrogen which is beneficial to the plants and dilute enough that it won’t be a major factor. My tap water is around 600 ppm (ec 1,174) and my pond is around 950 ppm.

Hope this helps.

2 Likes

Go for it ive used lot worse doing bush crops when there’s been hard times!! Let us know how it works

2 Likes

So far they have liked it. Our rain water is getting resupplied as we speak…just hope all Hurricane Nate just gives us rain and no kinda damage.

I used pond water my whole grow. Ph was constant 6.5 and ppm was always 15-16. But yeah, make sure it doesn’t get stagnant. Mine is a pretty big pond with plenty of trees in it. IMG_3614

2 Likes

Nice! Looks like it’s feeding time for…the catfish?

Yeah, catfish and copper nose bream.

2 Likes

Copper nose get big and are fun to catch!

1 Like

My wife with a copper nose she caught. They’re fun with light tackle and artificial bait20171008_002206

3 Likes

Heck yeah!

1 Like